What's new

Photos of Taylor

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
There are times when I ride Nemesis and wonder why it's so good...

Then I end up riding it like at Scarefest, and reminded why I love it...

Thing is, with all this talk of the stall turns killing the pacing, can the same not be said of those with MCBRs? It really is all relative how much the turns affect the ride, but they certainly provide a quick rest-bite in the middle...

Let's face it the first turn is followed by the point in which the ride hits it's fastest speed, meaning that the short slow point really helps to emphasise that speed...

That's how I see it anyways...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think Alpengeist's second half is pretty poor, but it doesn't matter because the sheer scale of it's first drop and 2 inversions is mind blowing.

I thought Alpengeist would feel slow, but it actually does feel fast because it interacts with it's environment surprisingly well for such a large ride and the wind buffering on it gives a real sense of speed.

I personally think comparing Alpengeist and Nemesis is more bizzar than comparing Oblivion and Sheikra.

I think Batman is a lot like Nemesis. Fast, forceful and relentless. They both feel similar, I guess because they are from a similar time. I personally think Batman is a better ride, but I've only ridden... erm........ 2? Yes 2 of them. So maybe I'm just not bored silly of them yet.

Raptor is the only meh invert I've ridden. All the others are fantastic. I think Montu is my favourite.

EDIT: UC, why do you STILL lack Griffon? Poor form, sir.

Also, one thing that is worth noting about Nemesis is it runs very differently to when I first rode it in 2000. So I cannot even begin to imagine what it was like when it opened.

When I first rode it, that stall turn didn't feel so slow and the zero-g wasn't so ridiculously fast that you don't even notice it.

Dave

CF Legend
Haha, love how everyone complains about a stall turn which is meant to slow down the pace of the ride for a brief respite before 'slamming' into the final wingover.

marc

CF Legend
Nemesis on 13 opening day right at the end of the day was fantastic and walk on, was not rough at all just fast :)

Rush

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Thing is, with all this talk of the stall turns killing the pacing, can the same not be said of those with MCBRs? It really is all relative how much the turns affect the ride, but they certainly provide a quick rest-bite in the middle...

Let's face it the first turn is followed by the point in which the ride hits it's fastest speed, meaning that the short slow point really helps to emphasise that speed...

That's how I see it anyways...

The thing is, most conventional coasters start with the largest drop and negotiate from there, so effectively you could argue that it's always losing pacing. Nemesis is designed to pick up speed and maintain good pacing but it dies because after picking up so much speed, it wastes it on the stall turn and loop, so it's more noticeable.

People will dislike me for this, but personally I think even Inferno has better pacing.

Haha, love how everyone complains about a stall turn which is meant to slow down the pace of the ride for a brief respite before 'slamming' into the final wingover.

I'd say they were there to turn the train around to be honest. Hint is in the word "turn".

I've always been underwhelmed by Nemesis and just don't find it very enjoyable. I had an okay ride on it in September but I guess I prefer more conventional coasters, it just doesn't do much for me.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Inferno's forces and speed is better paced, but it's so repetitive and "normal". It also spends far too much time turning. At least Nemesis disguises most of it's turns.

I can understand though Rach, because I think I prefer more conventional coasters in that sense too. I think a lot of it is growing up in the UK with what are, really, a rather weird bunch of rides and them becoming the norm and thus boring.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't mean this in the sarcastic way it's clearly going to sound, and I know you've said you don't know what you would have done instead, but I'd be interested to know what sort of thing you're thinking of in terms of fast paced elements to keep up the incredible sense of speed you get from the first half.

marc

CF Legend
I agree with joey and rush I prefer normal sit down coasters as well. Give me kumba and scorpion and I am in a happy place :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Snappy transitions? Black Mamba tried that and it didn't really work... THAT was dull... Especially considering the first part of that was really good as well...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
This whole topic is irritating me. Not because you are all debating about whether or not Nemesis lives up to it's reputation, or the fact that UC is commenting and thus I am ignoring it, but because it stems away from the original title of the topic.

So, I shall bring it back moderately on topic:

62973_10150284599950343_578800342_14937692_5297321_n.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
Black Mamba's amazing, so much better than Nemesis. I like the ending as well, I think it works on a terrain-based coaster like that.