What's new

Photos of Taylor

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Hixee said:
Firstly, a nice sexy picture of Nemesis:
NemesisPanorama2.jpg

I absolutely love this picture. Any chance I can get a large format version? I'd love to put this on my desktop cycle.

And thumbs up for furie's original report, chuckles aplenty.

Yeah, I just don't see it as the end-all of coasters that everyone says it is. Pacing died halfway through.

It's not the end-all of all coasters, obviously, otherwise it'd be my number one, but it's still great in my opinion. First time I rode it I wasn't exactly overwhelmed, but the more I rerode it, the more I ended up liking it. I didn't think the pacing died much, either.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Inverse said:
Hixee said:
Firstly, a nice sexy picture of Nemesis:
NemesisPanorama2.jpg

I absolutely love this picture. Any chance I can get a large format version? I'd love to put this on my desktop cycle.
Sure thing, I'm really pleased you like it so much. It's really nothing fancy, just a good panorama job, but I do agree, it looks very sexy.

Two versions for you, firstly the full size image (7010x3201):
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310 ... 3LARGE.jpg

And secondly is the one I made to fit my desktop, I had to extend the bridge slightly so that it filled the top of the picture (2732x1536)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310 ... ESKTOP.jpg

Feel free to use them! Just don't forget who took them. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with you there UC. It's certainly unique and something a bit special, but it's not perfect.

Though I like the turnaround pause before the loop. It gives you a chance to breath before hammering down into the loop. THEN it dies for me. The stall turn is naff and while the last inversion is neatly fitted in, it just doesn't quite seem to fit in with the rest of the ride somehow.

It's just such an odd ride, which I think is why it tends to score so highly. That first half is breath taking, and the whole "experience" (including the geekiness of the way it was made) is what pushes it up I think. I think it's a great ride, but not the best invert - though it's only by the tiniest amounts :)

I agree when you say that the second half pales in comparison to the first half, but even so, the coaster is so much better than any other B&M inverts I have ever been on. I still wouldn't say it died though.. Died would be like Raptor after the MCBR, or the end of Great Bear.

^ Ugh, see, personally I really disliked Alpengeist. It just didn't do anything for me. It seemed like a standard and average B&M invert but blown up in size a bit. I found it relatively forceless and uninspiring, whereas with Nemesis I loved the location, the atmosphere, how unique it is, how good the ride was, etc.

I agree about Oblivion though. It blows Griffon out of the water and shows just how pointless the rest of the layout is on the North American dive machines. It does what it does and it does it right.

^ Yeah, well again, not gonna argue as it's a matter of opinion. I just personally think Nemesis blows away every B&M invert I've ever been on, including Batman the Ride and Afterburn, both of which have been close to making my top ten at some points. I expected a lot of both Alpengeist and Nemesis, but Alpengeist disappointed, whereas Nemesis didn't.

I know it's wrong to compare Oblivion and the North American Dive Machines, but the whole point of dive machines really is the vertical drop. Oblivion pulls that off much better, and I just never saw the point of adding the immelmans and rest of the layout with Griffon and stuff. The single drop and turn is much for effective. I prefer Oblivion far more than Griffon.. Griffon is barely a top thirty coaster, if that, whereas Oblivion nearly made my top fifteen.

^ Either way, as far as dive machines go, I feel like they SHOULD be only about the drop, it makes it much more effective, since the drop is the major part of the ride. It's like if you took Dragster and added a bunch of corners or loops or something after the drop. They're just added parts of the ride that seem to serve no purpose when the launch is mostly what the focus is about anyway. I know where you're coming from, but either way, I know a lot of people compare all the Dive Machines, and I think Oblivion pulls off everything better.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think that Dive Machines should be about the drop, but that doesn't mean being as simple as Oblivion. And the reason they should be about their drop is simply that, when they aren't, they are weakened with nothing to set them apart from any other roller coaster.

I felt that Sheikra's first drop was too hidden. It doesn't have the impact of Oblivion or Griffon as a spectacle ride. It's splash down is nice, but it's got nothing on Griffon's. You may think this has nothing to do with the ride experience, but it most definitely has.

Despite Griffon's beauty, and impressively landscaped first half, it's second drop/immelman combo is a complete waste of time that detracts from the impact of the first. Sheikra is a better ride, with forces that Griffon doesn't have, but it doesn't flaunt itself and it's a real shame because it leaves me we no lasting memory of it's greatness.

This is what makes Oblivion such a success, it is possibly the world's most successfully branded ride. It does something very specific, very well, and everyone whether they road it or not will remember it for the right reasons.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally I think a roller coasters "type" should be the hub of it's focus. Coasters which use multiple elements, usually belonging to various "types", use their different elements as platforms for something else- usually an overarching theme or concept.

I think really, that's an echo of UCs point from a slightly different perspective.

It's hard for me to compare Nemesis and Inferno to other inverts, because I've overridden them both so much. Any enthusiasm I get for either of them could well be nostalgia and fanboyism, and any criticism of them could just be boredom.

It's not like I don't see what you guys are saying, because I do, but people were asking me "how does it compare to Griffon?" so it's a question I figured I should answer. I understand Griffon is more about the ride as a whole rather than just focusing on the drop, but I thought that, despite the shorter layout, Oblivion was much more of an effective ride if that makes any sense. I feel like if the layout were to be drawn out more, it loses the effect of the first drop and whatnot. For the simple fact that it pulls off its one trick amazingly, rather than just being a long and mediocre ride like Griffon, it wins. But I understand they shouldn't really be compared, as they're both rather different, though you have to realize that people WERE asking me how the two compared and which I thought was superior. Oblivion just pulls everything off in an awesome way, and I loved it for that.

No I understood it all along, but all I have to say is that I think when parks are constructing dive machines, I think their best and most effective use is with just the single drop.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC said:
And all I have to say is that I'm very thankful that parks like Busch Gardens and Heide Park don't agree with you at all.
Do you not think the "repeat" aspect of Griffon makes it a bit... ****?

The second drop is actually better than it's first, but because it's simply longer for the sake of being longer without doing anything new, it actually damages the ride as an entire experience and makes it less effective.

Sheikra isn't so bad in this aspect, but for drop like that to not be taken for granted, you have to make a big deal out of it - and apparently the only way parks can successfully do this is to have just the one.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
UC said:
Alpengeist, however, retains what it does throughout the whole ride. It is conventional, but at least it doesn't start off great and let you down. It's consistent. I like that.

See, for me, that's exactly what it did. It started off great and then let me down with the second half. After the mcbr it seemed to really trail off. I know I'm in the minority, and I'm not the sort of person to make a point of disliking "best" coasters for the sake of it, but I was genuinely disappointed by it, after loving the drop, dive loop (or whatever that is), loop and cobra roll.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just got around to reading this topic (work block images :cry:), I love the report, furie! One of the best so far.

And Hixee's photo of Nemesis is the best image I've seen on here since Hoyer's planet things he did when he enjoyed rollercoasters. It's stunning!

I have no comments on the theme park side of it but I'm glad you had a good afternoon and abused the system.

See, for me, that's exactly what it did. It started off great and then let me down with the second half. After the mcbr it seemed to really trail off. I know I'm in the minority, and I'm not the sort of person to make a point of disliking "best" coasters for the sake of it, but I was genuinely disappointed by it, after loving the drop, dive loop (or whatever that is), loop and cobra roll.

Yay me and Gavin agree. Alpengeist definitely does die after the first few elements.. Even if Nemesis "dies," I still feel so blown away by the first half that I don't really care, whereas Alpengeist I was like oh okay, the first half was good, but now what? What's the hype about?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
Just got around to reading this topic (work block images :cry:), I love the report, furie! One of the best so far.

And Hixee's photo of Nemesis is the best image I've seen on here since Hoyer's planet things he did when he enjoyed rollercoasters. It's stunning!

I have no comments on the theme park side of it but I'm glad you had a good afternoon and abused the system.

Thanks Ian. Sorry about all the goons spamming it up and making it a serious discussion about coasters. On a coaster site too!!! ;) :p

Ben

CF Legend
UC has hit the nail on the head for why I don't like Nemesis, the start is great, and then it dies... For exactly the same reasons as he has put... Good one mate!

Alpengeist is amazing btw, and I thought it would totally die after the MCBR, but, tbh, it really doesn't...

marc

CF Legend
But if it did not slow down in the rain it would not be possible to ride without blacking out as many of us found on the 13 opening day. I agree that the pacing is off in the dry but I still prefer Nemesis to the other versions I have been on, and at the end of the day the pacing is not off so it all depends how you look at it.

Rush

Giga Poster
Totally agree with Ben and UC, the pacing on Nemesis is really poor and the stall turns really do kill the ride. (I think I've said that numerous times before actually.) The ride pretty much dies after the zero-g.

marc said:
But if it did not slow down in the rain it would not be possible to ride without blacking out as many of us found on the 13 opening day. I agree that the pacing is off in the dry but I still prefer Nemesis to the other versions I have been on, and at the end of the day the pacing is not off so it all depends how you look at it.

Nemesis on Thirteen's opening day was AWFUL. It was sooo rough it gave me a headache for pretty much the rest of the day and it was still an average ride. It was only the second worst ride we rode that day, after Thirteen. :p

Alpengeist IS incredible. I seriously loved it, the first half is sooo powerful and the second half, yes it's less powerful but I didn't feel the pacing died at all. The ride turned my legs to jelly after getting off as well. I think it's really underrated.

Glad you loved Alton by the way Taylor, especially glad that you loved Oblivion as it's amazing!