What's new

Parks that desperately need a new coaster

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Lotte World. Atlantis Adventure was 12 years ago. They added a major dark ride, Pharaoh's Fury, a couple of years later, but there's been nothing but kiddy stuff since.

Everland. They have one amazing coaster and then a bunch of crap now that Eagle Fortress is gone. It's been closed 6 years and still no sign of a replacement.

Pretty much EVERY park in Japan outside of Disney, Universal and Fuji Q. The whole country has stagnated when it comes to parks, with most of them filled with crap.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hate to state the obvious here, but pretty much every park in the UK is desperate for a coaster right now.
I'm not just saying that to be greedy, there's lots of parks around the world deserving of some TLC, but man, it really sucks to be a British goon at the moment. I mean seriously, what is there to get excited about here? **** all. That's what.
Ok, so there's a pair of family Vekomas heading for Paulton's but apart from that, 2016 is shaping up to be the 3rd year in a row with no major coaster investments at all. Anywhere!
For the past decade or so, the only 2 parks that seem even remotely interested in adding large coasters are Alton and Thorpe and even they, of course, have been delivered Merlin-stylee with questionable end results.
And now it turns out that Thorpe's next investment isn't even a coaster at all, while Alton's 2017 project is almost certainly on the back burners for now.

So where does that leave us?
Early whisperings of something coming to Blackpool in 2017. Hmm. Interesting. Some potential there but I'm not holding my breath.
Chessington? Nah. No room, no planning freedom, no intetest from Merlin.
Flamingoland have been adding stuff I guess, but it's all been Zamperla rubbish and not worth bothering with.
And then there's London Paramount. Could be good, but as we're already over 2 years down the line and the entire project is still nothing more than a bunch of sketches on community hall blackboards, I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

With Merlin scratting around trying to pick up the pieces of the Smiler crash, now is the perfect time for all the other UK parks to cash in on the lull and build something. Anything! But there's just no drive here, no ambition, no desire to excel. At all. Everything is just delivered in a 'Oh sod it, that'll do' kinda way. I mean Jesus, I just wanna get all the park operators together in one room and scream at 'em 'FFS somebody build something!'

Like I said, I don't wanna sound greedy, I don't expect US levels of investment here in Britain. You can't expect places like Drayton Manor, Oakwood and Lightwater Valley to pull B&M gigas and Rocky Mountain monsters out of their ass every 2 years, but there's so many different ride types, different makes and models that we simply don't have here on these shores that they don't have to spend mega-millions to bring something unique to the UK.
I just wish they'd try. That's all.

Sorry for ranting.
I get very frustrated this time of year when all the exciting new ride announcements start coming out of the US. This particular rant was triggered by Dollywood's Lightning Rod promo which I've just seen. Now THAT is a park that someone could be proud of.
Must go there one day.

That is all.

Smithy

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
Drayton is desperate for a new thrill coaster. If they can build a good one they will be real dangerous to Alton Towers. Chessington is very mediocre right now in my opinion, certainly not worth the standard admission price, and it is desperate for a high capacity and substantial family coaster.

Nah they won't. Drayton is a million miles away from Alton Towers, it'd be a couple of coasters and a giant expansion before they could come close to be honest.

But yeah, they're desperate for something new for adults. Chessington could do with something like Ben10, a great little family coaster too.