What's new

Old People at Theme Parks

mouse

Giga Poster
Generally the main demographics targeted by theme parks are either young adults or families. I guess this is because they are the most likely to visit parks and therefore worth targeting, although I'm sure its not that simple. I see a fair few older people (Lets say retirement age, so 65+) at theme parks with families, but never in groups of similar ages. Why is this? Why are they seemingly not catered for? The gentler rides that OAPs may enjoy are most likely children's rides, could there be money in new additions aimed primarily at older visitors? Retirement age people generally spend more money on lesiure activities, how come not many theme parks have exploited 'the grey pound'?
Can anyone think of any examples of parks that have done this? Have they been successfull?

I seem to remember some people here work in theme park marketing, if so is this demographic discussed at all during marketing campaigns?

Is this a potential gold mine that hasn't been exploited by park management? Or is it just not worth it?

Have I asked enough questions?

Dar

Hyper Poster
Europa Park have page on their site specifically for over 60's, with reduced admission and other offers: here

I think their ride line-up helps a lot, most of them are aimed squarely at the family market, without falling into the Merlin trap of family = childish

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Knoebels has no admission fee and there seem to be a fair number of retirees who either live at the park (there are houses around the edges) or visit daily. They bring their dogs and their mobility scooters and they’re all over.

Not exactly what you’re asking but it’s the first place that comes to my mind.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
A lot of Asia 'protects' their elderly by not letting them do anything in the park at 60+. Not gonna exploit anything there.

I remember Bakken was full of nothing but old people sitting at the food places and judging me. So give them some food, a place to sit down and some people to judge?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've seen loads of tour groups consisting of old people in Chinese parks, especially ones that are "culture" or animal based. They don't do the rides, but just go to the shows and stuff. Very common actually.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

rob666

Hyper Poster
Funny topic this...I have been thinking of setting up an old gits Icon riders group, the under forties can **** right off.
Most people grow out of theme parks in their thirties, or so it seems for losing company when I do the coasters these days.
Some parks do over fifties discounts and grandparents days.
Drayton and Lightwater come to mind.

Matt N

CF Legend
About a year or two ago, Thorpe Park actually sold an OAP Rider Pass, which I think was reduced admission for people over 65 or something like that.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Dollywood and SDC spring to mind. I visited on weekdays and I swear I was the only one the Dollywood landtrain into the park who was under 50. But then, if you employ lots of older people, have enjoyable green landscaping in your park and good food then why wouldn't older people come? I'd imagine the ethos of parks in the UK being run by 16 year olds with ****ty food doesn't really sell it to the over 50s.

Also you see lots of older people at Tivoli and Bakken. Again good food, green landscape and lots of live music. People seemed to dump granny at the bandstand and go do the rides for the afternoon.

Having free gate entry obviously really helps to increase the age demographic as well.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Was unlucky enough to be at Knott's on Veteran's day once. Free entry for ex service personnel on that day, see? The place was chock full of grey-haired old duffers, there were thousands of 'em. Most of them were sporting medals on their chests, so fair play to 'em and all that, but man, can you imagine the faff?
One of my worst park days ever.

I loooove seeing peaches at theme parks, it warms my soul but I always get secretly afraid when they go on creds that they're going to have a heart attack. I don't think it's a very common thing at many of the park chains that cater to thrill seekers (like Cedar Fair or Six Flags for instance with the exception of FABULOUS ad peachy Mean Streak Henry), but as many people have mentioned there are typically a fair amount of them at parks that have shows and a wide variety of things to enjoy.

I basically only posted to express my love of old peaches though.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Bastard.
Although I was thinking about organising a bingo and bowling evening some time. ;)

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Many, many people who thought they'd be spending a quiet time in retirement nowadays have instead ended up looking after their kids' kids. So they end up taking them to CBeebies Land, Peppa Pig World, Thomas Land, etc. even though they don't want to go on big rides themselves. It's why BPB has the £6 entry that includes the steam train ride - OAPs and kids love steam trains!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I was just at BGT for the first time and I made a rookie mistake. They let people into the park at 9:30, half an hour before opening. I decided I would make a hard left and hug the outside of the park, making my way to the kiddie coaster before it gets a line, and then to Sheikra and Kumba. After circling round for a long distance, I hit a roped-off area, as expected. What wasn’t expected was that as ten o’clock approached, dozens and then hundreds of silver-haired folks surrounded me. Eventually, there was a huge mob, but I was the only one under 60. Then ten o’clock came and went, and the people around me were unfazed. Eventually, I ask, and it seems this part of the park opens at 10:30, and the seniors are there to get in line for a concert taking place at noon. So then I had to decide: circle all the way back around the park, or wait it out here with the seniors for half an hour.
Let’s just say I was the first rider of the day on Air Grover. :rolleyes: