What's new

Oakwood Updates

Martyn B

CF Legend
No official confirmation yet, but it was mentioned at the ECC Annual Club Meeting that Oakwood are installing a coaster for 2014, which is coming from a park which has closed down.

There was a massive hint during the ACM that Knightmare could be on its way to Oakwood for 2014? (please remember no confirmation etc but that is what most of us thought) It was a discussion about Oakwwod and they said a new coaster for 2014 from a recently closed down park?
http://www.ukrides.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3826

If we stick to the UK, the list of possibilitis would be; Knightmare, Whirlwind, Twist 'n' Shout and Gold Rush.

If it is true, then my money would be on Whirlwind, or possibly Twist 'n' Shout.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Oakwood 2014 - New coaster?

Hopefully it'll be Knightmare, so all the fanboys can get to ride it and find out how mediocre it is ;)

Actually, the hope is for Knightmare, because I doubt that there's not much different comparatively in price between any of those, but Knightmare IS the one that stands out as being an interesting ride and something a little different to what the rest of the UK offers. I'd also class it as a "major" coaster, but the other two as fillers.

No reason to drag me back to the arse end of Wales as I already have the creds (no matter which they get - if any) other than I love Oakwood and would go anyway for the tiniest excuse :)

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I hope it's either Knightmare or Twist 'n' Shout.

Knightmare - would fit in with surroundings.
Twist 'n' Shout - gives Oakwood a looping coaster.
Whirlwind - would be popular.
Goldrush - needs to be scrapped.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I hope/think it'll be Whirlwind as it doesn't invert. It just feels more... Oakwood, imo. I also think it'll be easier to market, as I think it would be the first Spinner in Wales? Whereas Knightmare wouldn't be the first looping coaster in the country or anything...

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ I hope it's Whirlwind too, it would suit Oakwood really well. Knightmare is just a mess to be honest.

Anyway, apparently it is coming from Camelot, though no word on which coaster yet.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Saw topic title, got mildly interested.

Saw the likely coasters, lost all interest.

Still need to go for Speed and Hydro though.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Hydro is awsome, I proper shat myself on that. Speed on the other hand, is **** ing awful.

Colossus

Giga Poster

elephant58 said:

Speed has a loop.

But yeah Speed is vile.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Am I the only person who likes Speed then? Well, I like the loop and the airtime hill...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't know why Oakwood don't buy both those decent coasters and stagger their opening across two seasons.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

From what I remember when I was younger I really loved whirlwind and It was the best ride eva!!! So if the park does buy whirlwind I think it wil tie in nicely with the new erea coming this year.

peep

CF Legend

Why is there so much support for Whirlwind? It was dire (semi decent layout destroyed by the lack of upkeep).

I can see Knightmare fitting in at Oakwood. I don't think it'll pull in more guests but it's the best of a bad bunch out of the rumours.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

If they do end up getting Knightmare then a decent paint job would do wonders for the look of that ride. The brown sort of worked when it was enclosed in a mountain in Kobe but in it's naked form It always looked a little... well crap.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Colossus said:
elephant58 said:

Speed has a loop.

But yeah Speed is vile.

I know, I meant another one, but I wrote it stupidly.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

For a spinning coaster, I found Whirlwind to actually be quite fun.

Granted, it's not as good as the custom spinners, but it's a hell of a lot better than the basic Maurer/Golden Horse layout, and in a completely different league to those Reverchon pieces of ****.

It's half disappointing to see Oakwood scavenging rides of the scrapheap though to be honest, given that their other major rides were all new and pretty unique. Still, if a cheap second hand coaster will get a few people through the gate for now, then it's all good I guess.

STC

Mega Poster

Why does everyone here hate Knightmare so much? Did the CF hivemind issue a decree about which side of the incrediblefabwow<3/completeandutters**t line Knightmare falls down on and now we all have to pretend that a fun little Schwarzkopf is completely worthless?

Knightmare isn't Nemesis or El Toro. But it's a great little ride. :roll:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Don't take it so personally. It boils down to the fact that when it was first brought over here, everyone was having the usual Schwartzkopf w**k over it and claiming it was the best thing to happen to the UK since Nemesis.

Then more people rode it and saw it for what it really is: mediocre. Incredibly mediocre.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Well to welcome another coaster to the park will be great. Even if it's Knightmare, it will have 3 great coasters and an excellent water ride with many other attractions to boast.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Knightmare could have been fun, but the seatbelts and "spit screens" made it cramped and a bit painful/uncomfortable.

Beyond that, it also never really did anything. It was "fun enough" - so "meh".

I think it would be a "fine" addition to Oakwood, but not a compelling argument to return to the arse end of Wales for. Sorry if there's a realistic view of things here :p