What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I still have yet to do Charlie, I really wanna see if it's really as bad as people make out.

Personally I can't see Sub Terra having much re-rideability!

Ethan

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0sEpiGEKY[/youtube]

Found this is YouTube...

The first shot of the drop makes it looks quite forceful.. but overall looks kind of pants if i'm honest. I guess I can't judge until i've ridden it though.

[EDIT] - If you look closely, you can see one of the hydraulic cylinder things which boosts the car downwards, proving that is IS a forced drop... I think.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Sub-terra is ****. If it has no queue, do it, or about 15 mins. Any longer, you will be EXTREMELY disappointed. Not worth it!

posting from somewhere in the world

Mark

Strata Poster
Mushroom said:
Sub-terra is ****. If it has no queue, do it, or about 15 mins. Any longer, you will be EXTREMELY disappointed. Not worth it!

So it wasn't the psychological trauma (like 13) that they got officials in to authenticate (like 13) and it wasn't what they were hyping it up to be (like 13) then? :p

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Put it this way, even the general public were coming off saying it was ****! Well there you have it. I have put the whole experience below in a spoiler:

You enter the building and get shouted at by the military guys and get told to look forward. You then enter a fake lift, vibrates a bit, then you head into the main chamber. You see the monster egg and they explain they have seen activity in the egg. Sirens go off and you drop and see the underneath. Once you get back to.the top you see the egg broken and get told to get into the next lift. It starts vibrating pretending you are going up. The monster attacks the lift. You get told to leave quickly. Doors open and that's the ride.

sheepboy

Roller Poster
It's an dreadful ride if I'm honest, I've not been on one quite as bad in a very long time and the fact they over hyped it so much has made it an incredibly disappointing experience!

We queued about 1 hour and 20 minutes, went on the ride and I don't even know what went on..... The drop felt like "Pre-Drop" on 13, then the ride was over, me and my mate actually thought it was a Pre-Show before the main ride, oh how we were wrong!

I avoided reading anything about Sub-T before my visit as not to influence my opinion before I had riden, I found myself very confused by the whole thing and after talking to a few GP they were confused by the attraction too, I was glad it wasn't just me. These were genuine quotes from the GP we spoke to.

"All that build up for nothing"
"The best part was getting out and seeing the sun had come out and the fog had gone"
"That has gotta be the worst ride here"

On the way out we also heard a woman saying how rubbish it was after a pirate in drivable boat asked her about it.

I thought they made a mistake with 13' marketing but this is so ridiculous that it's rather amusing!

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Firstly, I genuinely don't think the ride is terrible. I don't even think it's bad, it's a well themed, unique take on a dark drop tower ride.

However, considering that Merlin love to brag about being the second biggest entertainments company "second only to Disney" in the world. They make a horrendously huge amount of money every second of every day, and seem to invest as little of it as possible back into the parks. Sub-Terra is not a world class ride. Ice Age: The 4D Experience is not a world class attraction. Sub-Terra seems to get you really riled up and excited, makes you expect a big finale, then you turn a corner and someone gives you your bags back. After "experiencing" Sub-Terra we went over to Ice Age 4D, found the frontage quite well done, walked in to encounter long wooden boxes to sit on. Can one of the worlds largest entertainment companies really not afford actual seats, with effects that actually face the viewer rather than just falling from the ceiling (completely out of sync with what's on screen, I might add) whilst you watch poorly arranged clips from the film in cardboard 3D glasses?

In a similar way (and I know a lot of you are going to disagree here) I found The Swarm quite disappointing, I hadn't checked the layout out as I wanted it to be a surprise and it seems to be just as short as they could get away with. Don't get me wrong, the theming is good, but the track itself seems to be as short as it can get away with without people complaining about it.

What I'm ultimately saying is, Merlin are the second biggest entertainments company in the world, bigger than Universal. So why is it that Universal can afford to be raising the bar with exciting new ride systems and huge amounts of cash and thought going into every project. I think Merlin have some fantastic ideas, Sub-Terra being like a sequel to the Nemesis story, an "experience" that consists of more than just the ride, it's brilliant, but it could be so much more, and it should be.

sheepboy

Roller Poster
Waffleman said:
Firstly, I genuinely don't think the ride is terrible. I don't even think it's bad, it's a well themed, unique take on a dark drop tower ride.

However, considering that Merlin love to brag about being the second biggest entertainments company "second only to Disney" in the world. They make a horrendously huge amount of money every second of every day, and seem to invest as little of it as possible back into the parks. Sub-Terra is not a world class ride. Ice Age: The 4D Experience is not a world class attraction. Sub-Terra seems to get you really riled up and excited, makes you expect a big finale, then you turn a corner and someone gives you your bags back. After "experiencing" Sub-Terra we went over to Ice Age 4D, found the frontage quite well done, walked in to encounter long wooden boxes to sit on. Can one of the worlds largest entertainment companies really not afford actual seats, with effects that actually face the viewer rather than just falling from the ceiling (completely out of sync with what's on screen, I might add) whilst you watch poorly arranged clips from the film in cardboard 3D glasses?

In a similar way (and I know a lot of you are going to disagree here) I found The Swarm quite disappointing, I hadn't checked the layout out as I wanted it to be a surprise and it seems to be just as short as they could get away with. Don't get me wrong, the theming is good, but the track itself seems to be as short as it can get away with without people complaining about it.

What I'm ultimately saying is, Merlin are the second biggest entertainments company in the world, bigger than Universal. So why is it that Universal can afford to be raising the bar with exciting new ride systems and huge amounts of cash and thought going into every project. I think Merlin have some fantastic ideas, Sub-Terra being like a sequel to the Nemesis story, an "experience" that consists of more than just the ride, it's brilliant, but it could be so much more, and it should be.

I agree with you, Sub-T had potential but with such an anti climax it is a very bad ride.

Merlin just seem to be getting very bad. Everything is money money money money money with them and it's really staring to show. They are getting worse every year.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I cant believe how forcess the drop is. All I hear about is how powerful Extremis is... this was far from it. And the 'effects' to make the fake lifts look like they're moving are AWFUL. Really bad.

I love Alton, I really, but this is a really bad addition. The actual ride concept does have potential, but this just lacks everything.

And Mushroom is right, people were coming off moaning about. Even some woman shouting at queueline, telling everyone they're wasting their time.... Poor Alton :(

Mark

Strata Poster
So by the sounds of things then, they have done exactly what they did with 13. They have taken a ride that has the perfect sort of 'intensity' for the family market and then dressed it up and promoted it like an 'adult' attraction. Do they never learn? Considering the type of ride experience that it offers surely a theme that was less 'horror' and more family orientated would actually make the attraction more successful? Alton seem really insistent upon creating 'scary' or horror related attractions but why?

Horror is certainly popular with the teen thrill-seeker market so it's like they are aiming at a particular demographic market but then serving it up with an actual ride experience that simply can not match. Which again, like 13, leaves people feeling cheated. I just don't get it...

scw55

Hyper Poster
If you look at this site: http://live.towersnerd.com/

12:10 Mark

We’ve heard that Nemesis: Sub-Terra has a number of effects missing today, including “back pokers” and “leg flaps”. So maybe it’ll be a little more special when everything is fully working.
It seems the ride wasn't 100% functional which is a tragic shame if that's the case. It means the ride has been condemned. Lets hope the faulty ride is the reason for disappointment and that it can recover from the mishap.

You would have hoped everything was working perfectly when opening for the public but ah well. Sod's law.