What's new

Nürburgring | Ring°Racer | S&S Compressed Air Launch

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Ring°Racer, Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate Germany

I accidently done a little bit of research on this, and I did read (in German) that in May, they were hoping for this to open in June...

Edit: From the official website:

In early June 2011 - we are going zo open the ring°racer. An exact opening date has not yet been determined. The tests run at the attraction since the end of March in full swing and we expect to finish them with all MOT inspections in June. The ring°racer will reach a top speed of 160 km/h, an increase by at over 200 km/h is planned for next yers. The tickets for the ring°werk that qualify for a second visit after the opening of the ring°racer remain valid.

So, they cut the speed to 100mph, but its to increase to 125mph next year...

marc

CF Legend

2 years late lol, seeing its now July did it actually open?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

There's still no word on an opening date. The TUV testing is still ongoing & will likely take some time to make sure everything id ok after all the troubles they've had with the launch on this thing. I know they wanted to have it up & running for the GP in 12 days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes till 2012 tbh.
You will be able to see when it opens here:
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebote/family-leisure/ringwerk/attraktionen/ringracer0.html

A

Anonymous

Seems like they will be going to run it at 160 km/h initially instead of the 217 km/h that was planned, and that they will try to increase it in the future (wonder if that will actually happen)...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Well, they're claiming that it's "the fastest coaster in Europe" & "double the acceleration of a Formula 1 driver", so I doubt that they push it beyond the 0-160 kmh tbh. Those two claims are enough to get the public interested & they don't want any further embarrassing headlines about the coaster.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I heard from a reliable source that the ride never actually operated at full speed before it's little accident.

New info or not, just what I heard.

Martyn

Giga Poster

I was at the 'Ring a couple of weeks ago, it looked in the same state it did nearly two years ago. Train still out on the start bit.

It also looks REALLY sh*t. I've probably said that in this topic from the last time I was there.

I remember reading something about how all the new developments at the 'Ring were causing issues and there was loads of debt and stuff. Someone said there's no shops in the big shopping centre they built (I didn't go in). The place is a bit of shambles and it's apparently jeopardising the future of the entire circuit.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

^I read that as well. It's forced them to put up prices for a lap of the ring and the season passes.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Thats a shame really, the place looks/sounds awsome going by their website. I am really interested in visiting, and not just for the coaster.

Martyn

Giga Poster

Thekingin64 said:
^I read that as well. It's forced them to put up prices for a lap of the ring and the season passes.

Yeah, €24 for a lap these days. It's shot up over the past few years.

The places is stupid too, you can't buy anything without putting money on a card first. Like some sort of 'Ring dollars or something.

Obviously you can only put certain denominations on the card, too, and although they claim you can cash in the card when you're done, they also claim that whatever's on it is valid for a year. I bet there's loads of people that go home with a couple of Euros left on the card and never bother to claim it back, which means the overpriced goods just got even more expensive really. It's stupid.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Wow, all this is really tempting me to go!

How come you go there as often as you do Martyn?

Martyn

Giga Poster

I've only been twice in the past two and a half years! Both times to shoot some racing there.

I adore the place... well, the Nordschleife and the surrounding areas. The GP circuit is a bit average, and all the new stuff is just a big faceless metal box. Everything else is magical.

marc

CF Legend

The problem is the GP track, they are near enough bust which is why they only race there every other year. When they wanted to make changes to the track years ago MS paid for the chicane change. The theme park area they hoped would bring income to the park when races were not on.

Anyway I thought they were trying to sue S&S?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I can't see them bothering to "up" the speed from 160 kph. The whole point was that it was supposed to be the fastest in the world, which it can't be now because Formula Rossa has opened since.

There's obviously no way they're going to crank it up higher than originally planned, so since they can't take the record any more, there's little to no point in putting any more stress/strain on the ride than is necessary.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster

This ride was an utter disaster and total failure for S&S power. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nur. Suing S&S for not holding their ride to the original claim and costing millions of Euros. Hell I wouldn't be surpised to see S&S almost go under because of this only to be saved by their PoS drop towers and screamin' swings only to be stomped out by HUSS in a couple years.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

I noticed on RCDB that this one is still listed as "under construction" and has been for some time, is that incorrect or maybe the problems their having with speed etc means its not officially open??

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^As far as I know this is still broken. Pretty big fail if you ask me! :p

Martyn B

CF Legend

They did plan for it to officially open this summer just gone.....?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^And the summer of 2010... and 2009...