What's new

Most immersive rollercoaster experience outside of Disney and Universal?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Over the years, Alton Towers have made some very interesting claims, but what I find to be one of the most debatable claims that they’ve ever made is that Wicker Man is “the world’s most immersive rollercoaster experience”. On their website, the park displays the following as the brief synopsis for Wicker Man:
Join the chosen ones on the world’s immersive rollercoaster experience to date!
Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Wicker Man, and I think it’s a very well executed themed experience overall, but I must say that even not having been to that many theme parks relative to some, I would personally disagree with Alton Towers’ claim if looking at every single coaster I've ever ridden. I have ridden a number of coasters at the big duo of Disney and Universal that I would consider to be more immersive than Wicker Man. However, these parks are arguably the kings of immersion and have considerable budgets to play with, so I concede that it probably isn't fair to compare Wicker Man with some of the coasters at these parks, and when excluding these two companies, I pondered that Alton Towers' claim might hold a little more weight. And that got me thinking about what I might consider some of the most immersive rollercoaster experiences I've ridden outside of the big two. So I'd be interested to know; what would you consider to be the world's most immersive rollercoaster experience outside of Disney and Universal?

I'll admit that my answer to this question is probably considerably less well informed than the answers some might give, as for me, "the world" outside of Disney and Universal consists mainly of the UK, Europa Park, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa. However, there are still a few candidates I'd put in firm contention for this title:
  • Cobra's Curse at Busch Gardens Tampa - As much as the ride itself is nothing to write home about, in my view, I've always been very impressed by the theming and immersion aspect of Cobra's Curse. The queue line is absolutely incredible, with some incredibly ornate theming and a phenomenal amount of detail, and the ride also has a very cool projection mapped pre-show, where the Snake King, the ride's main protagonist, introduces himself to riders and displays his power! The immersion continues onto the ride itself, with riders being greeted by a huge snake statue, as well as various ominous messages from the Snake King throughout. Overall, I think Cobra's Curse is a brilliant experience from start to finish, with many brilliant thematic flourishes making for brilliant immersion, in my opinion!
  • Arthur at Europa Park - Arthur may not be the most thrilling coaster, but it's one of those experiences that's just magical from start to finish! The queue and indoor area are lovely, and the ride itself is a very nice experience with many brilliant dark ride scenes! Overall, I just really like the whole feel of this one; it's a very nice, well finished off ride!
  • CanCan Coaster at Europa Park - CanCan Coaster is a brilliant experience from start to finish, in my view! The queue line is absolutely gorgeous, with so many little details strewn throughout multiple different rooms, and the ride itself also has some brilliant theming throughout, with a nice little dark ride scene at the start and some really fun cutouts strewn throughout the ride, as well as a brilliant onboard soundtrack! All in all, CanCan Coaster is an awesome themed experience, in my view!
  • Wodan Timbur Coaster at Europa Park - Wodan is excellently themed! I have to say that its queue in particular really stands out for me; it's an absolute work of art, with so many rooms filled with so many wonderful details that tell a really intricate story! The station is also relatively heavily themed, with some particularly nice animatronics by the station fly-through that look to the side whenever a train passes through! The ride itself is less heavily themed, but you still have some nice audio up the lift hill and some nice tunnels and bits of theming around! Overall, I think Wodan is a brilliant themed experience, and a close rival to the ride below in the wooden coaster theming stakes!
  • Wicker Man at Alton Towers - As much as I may have disagreed with Alton's claim about Wicker Man above, I do think that the ride is a very solid contender for being one of the most immersive coasters I've done outside of Disney and Universal! The wicker man structure itself, with the fire effects integrated in, is an absolutely phenomenal centrepiece. The queue line is really nice, with some nice banners and such strewn around, and the pre-show is brilliant! The station is also really nicely themed, and when you get onto the ride itself, you pass through the aforementioned wicker man structure numerous times, as well as encountering some nicely themed tunnels with some good smoke and lighting effects! Overall, I think Wicker Man is an excellent themed experience, and I'd definitely say that it rivals Wodan for wooden coaster theming, of the rides that I've done!
  • The Swarm at Thorpe Park - I've always loved the themed experience of The Swarm! The area is absolutely phenomenal, with loads of huge wrecked vehicles strewn around as well as numerous smaller details integrated throughout the area! The story is also told really nicely through the queue and audio, with various news reports and such being played to the rider as they traverse the area and wait in the queue. Overall, I've always really liked The Swarm as an immersive experience; I think the theming is awesome!
Those are some of the main names I could think of, but I could probably nominate more if I gave it some more thought.

But I'd be keen to know; what do you think is the world's most immersive rollercoaster experience outside of Disney and Universal? Do you agree with Alton Towers' claim about Wicker Man, or would you nominate a different ride?

Sandman

Giga Poster
I could answer this in a few ways, one of which would be to pick the 'best themed' coaster, however, I reckon to be the most complete and truly immersive coaster experience, it's got to be something primarily indoors whereby you are completely enveloped in said experience with no outside distraction. Maybe I'm taking it too literally, but hey-ho.

For example, Taron is certainly up there, due to the brilliance of Klugheim. But, I don't think the queueline adds anything particularly, and you can still see other themed areas of the park from in and around the Taron/Klugheim area, which slightly breaks said immersion, so I'll dock a few points for that. I can't comment on FLY yet.

Arthur is not a bad shout, but the outdoor bit takes me out of the immersion too, and if I'm being picky, I don't have the same interest in the thematic experience as I do with other themes. Again, the queue doesn't do much for me either (if we're counting the full 'experience').

You know what, of the coasters I've done, i'll have to give it to Van Helsing's factory. Decent queue with a lovely build up of tension, and until you exit the ride, you're completely in that 'world' so to speak. It all comes together nicely, and would not be entirely out of place in a Universal park.

Rush

Giga Poster
I would put Efteling up there with Disney/Universal in terms of the focus on immersion with their attractions.

De Vliegende Hollander I think is the most immersive coaster I've experienced. The queue is phenomenally detailed, the station is stunning and the dark ride section wonderfully gives you that feeling of being lost at sea and involves you in the story. As a coaster, it's not particularly impressive but as a full package I thought it was an incredible experience.

Baron 1898 is wonderfully immersive too once you get to the pre-show building. I mean, the park didn't need to commission a mine shaft tower as the support structure, but they did!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I would put Efteling up there with Disney/Universal in terms of the focus on immersion with their attractions.

De Vliegende Hollander I think is the most immersive coaster I've experienced. The queue is phenomenally detailed, the station is stunning and the dark ride section wonderfully gives you that feeling of being lost at sea and involves you in the story. As a coaster, it's not particularly impressive but as a full package I thought it was an incredible experience.

Man, Hollander would so easily win this if it wasn't for the stark contrast between the beautifully ambient, aesthetically stunning first half and then the fall from grace second half.

If Efteling ever decide to refurb/alter another coaster then I'd strongly urge them to somehow enclose as much of the outdoor section (with the exception of the splashdown) as possible. It could easily be the best ride in the park and one of Europe's best for my money.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm gonna say Karnan. Between the queue, station batching, and opening of the ride, it's probably the most well-themed experience I've ever done on a ride. What a buildup.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Fluch von novgorod - whilst Karan has more build up and pre-show elements - Fluch has a better immersive ride experience with 2 enclosed sections and a dark ride section, Also it has that rare thing - a post ride experienced with it's slide/dark maze!

ScottLann

Mega Poster
There's a few that have sprung to mind....

F.L.Y - Best coaster experience I've ever had and that also beats any of the Universal and Disney stuff too. Flying around the hotel, over the top of buildings and through the tunnels in the front row was just incredible.
Taron - Such an amazingly themed area and having an Intamin blitz coaster in the middle of it was the cherry on top. Plus, I'm a sucker for that Middle-earth/Game of Thrones style theming.
Black Mamba - maybe not as impressive as F.L.Y and Taron, but the whole area of Deep in Africa is amazing and sticking an invert in the middle of it just worked so well.
Saw the Ride - Whilst the 2nd half of the coaster has pretty much no theming, I can't deny that the indoor section of this coaster is one the best themed sections anywhere in the UK and its pretty convincing that you're in one of Jigsaw's warehouses.

Dimmu1979

Roller Poster
I've to agree... F.L.Y. is the best RC for immersion... once you enter Rookburgh you are sent in another dimension, the rollercoaster is only a part of the "adventure". But there is something the breaks this dream with open eyes, and it's... we the guests.
We all do not fit in the environment... I suggest Phantasialand should give everyone who enters this land at least a steampunk hat or glasses!

Mystery Mine at Dollywood. Story is kind of pointless but scenery is really fun.

Copperhead Strike is fun mainly because it is themed to a granny making moonshine. Que is awesome, and the launch shed is cool.

Mako had a very nice que/station but Journey to Atlantis is just amazing even in its watered down state.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Of the coasters I've experienced: FLY, Taron and Vliegende Hollander jump to mind immediately.

This... I'd add that whilst it's been mentioned a couple of times, I'm surprised that Hollander is not on more people's lists, I was absolutely blown away by it.

Esther7

Roller Poster
This... I'd add that whilst it's been mentioned a couple of times, I'm surprised that Hollander is not on more people's lists, I was absolutely blown away by it.
I agree with this, everything in Efteling is very immersive, but I loved Baron 1898 and especially Vliegende Hollander.