What's new

Most Comfy seats/Restraints?

David

Mega Poster
All the B&M's I've been on are comfy. I like Itamin's OTSR, as they allow you a fair bit of freedom. Slammer and Rush both are comfy, except for the absence of padding on the back.

The most comfy though were on the Flying Fish :lol:, just awesome.

Rich Bacon

Roller Poster
Now I like the actual shape of B&M seats, but I can't stand the OTSRs. Theyre far too bulky, and make putting your hands up a really difficult task without whacking your neighbour. Maybe its just the closeness of the seats rather than the restraints, but I can't say Im a fan.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
-lofty- said:
From what I have ridden I would say that I find...

B&M Flyers very comfortable (thats the only good thing about ASir :p)

and...

Accelerators, Baco was so fucing comfortable it was unbeleivable :)

I dunno...I love Baco (it's either 3 or 4 on my list), and I definitely prefer those restraints over a lot of other kinds, but I don't think I would go that far :D.

Now, for mine:
Obviously, Millennium Flyers. And Vekoma's imitation (or is that backwards?).
SCHWARZKOPF!
And now, for ones actually on the list:

Very good:
Giga Coaster
Mega Coaster
B&M Flyer
Vekoma laydown/flyer

and the one that might get me in trouble: Togo standups :D.
The older intamin otsrs (like on Colossus) work ok for me too.

Bad:
B&M standups.
The stupid new intamin OTSRs on maverick etc. (that type works on baco only because of the smaller amount of horizontal force).
Vekoma anything else :D.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
^ Yea, I experienced some pretty bad neck-bashing, which I've come to learn is pretty uncommon but not unheard of in other people. It kinda sucks because it makes what I know is a great ride worse, but I guess no restraint can fit everyone.

Snoo

The Legend
^I've heard both extremes.. from massively rough to butter smooth in terms of neck-banging.

As you said.. it all depends on the person. I've found that if your a bit taller, your head tends to bang a bit less.. and vice versa.

It also helps if you know the layout or, in my case, have stronger arms. I usually keep my hands up the whole way, and hardly ever experience head banging. But, on the other hand, I've had some nasty bruises on my biceps from the restraints.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
For comfortable seats and restraints, you just can't beat the B&M speed coaster trains. I adore those seats, and contrary to a lot of people, the rides as well. Its just very snug, and despite the size of the lapbar, it just fits well, and its comfortable to hold, almost to the point that you feel like you should be holding on rather than waving your arms about.

scan

Mega Poster
its got to be clamshells and mabye intamin accelarator otsr and prety comfy. I dont agree with the B&M flyer being comfy, there ok but nothing special or maybe its just the track?

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
I found Oblivion's seats very comfortable, I really appreciate the shape of them. I like the way they are tilted slightly back which is quite easy on the back; where other coaster cars seem to fail. Unfortunately, I think the restraints are a bit on the bulky side and aren't exactly made from the most forgiving material either. So I think it is safe to say the B&M OTSR's need a little bit of work but good nevertheless.

On the note of B&M Flyers', they are of a good design but the body strain usually takes its toll after awhile.

^I didn't really have a problem with Maverick's, to be honest.

I thought they were slightly uncomfortable. The discomfort I noticed the most in my first few rides was the amount of pain that it caused my ears and neck. Like, it didn't have nearly as much jerking and stuff as I thought, in fact, it was minimal, but when it did, hit my ears and caused me to be stabbed by my earrings. I know they say take your earrings out, but when you have seven or eight of them, and some of them you can't take out because the hole will close, then no, I'm not taking them out.

I also noticed that no matter how much slack I have leaving the station, as soon as you exit the first drop, the restraint like slams down (got a bruise on my thighs twice from that).

However, with that said, I don't think Maverick is an uncomfortable or painful ride in general.

Maverick's barrel roll would've been terrible. I'm so glad they took that out.

Same, which is why I love when the Brits say "haha Maverick barrel roll spiteeeeee". It's not spite, it's a good thing that they took it out. Spares us some pain, eh?

The Stengel Dives on Maverick are actually phenominal, especially the second, I totally agree with you there UC. In fact, one of my favourite elements ever would have to be that.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I don't think B&M Flyers have very comfy restraints.
Theyr ok when you are moving but when you are stationary faced down, they put pressure on your chest as its the only part of your body fully holding you in.

I find new-age Vekoma loopers comfy. Rock n Roller Coaster at DLP if very nice to sit in what with the padded headrests and the soft restraint. The restraint itself isn't too bulky either.

Mark

Strata Poster
Hmmmm, the old Intamin giga coaster trains are pretty comfy. especially because they have no OTSR.

Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom Florida has the nicest trains for me though. So soft n squidgy. Could sleep there!

That's to do with your height, though. Where you get head banging, the rest of us apparently only get minimal neck-cutting.

Well like I said, it's not even bad. I expect I probably get as much ear banging or whatever as much as you guys get neck cutting. I dunno though, but like I said it's not enough to ruin the ride for me. I'll deal with a stinging ear for five or so minutes for that kick-arse ride!

It would close in a 5 minute period of time? C'mon now, Taylor!

Believe it or not, yeah. Probably not the first few holes because I got those done professionally, the the three holes I did by myself would probably close, because when you first get your ears pierced you get a thicker earring that makes your ears not close, but I never had that for a lot of mine, so they close like the instant I take them out, unless I quickly change them.

After all, when a park that operates rides like Mantis, Corkscrew, and Raptor removes an element because of headbanging, you know it must've been bad.

Actually, Corkscrew seemed to be running better than any of my rides on it ever at Halloweekends. Minimal headbanging. I was quite proud of it indeed! :p Much better than I remembered.

I agree I was a bit upset when they took the barrel roll out, but when you're on the ride and you see videos, you can tell that the train is going way too fast to take on an inversion like that while keeping the riders comfortable.

I agree. The second one is just surreal - the fact you snap in and out of it so quickly makes it a truly unique experience - the damned thing happens so quick that your legs are basically above your head and then you're rightside up again, wondering what happened...but it's quite an awesome feeling, to be rotated around your axis so quickly and smoothly.

All this discussion about Maverick is putting me in an off season depression already :p. Haha not really but, it's such a great ride and I don't want to have to wait to ride it again.

A

Anonymous

Basically, every B&M seating system is comfortable, that is except those found on the standups, particularly the early examples. That would include Iron Wolf.

Jer

Strata Poster
Top 3.

1. Clamshells / seats, nuff said.
2. Goliath at SFMM (the seats and restraints were better than the ride XD)
3. Premier seats, the restraints can go to hell, but the seats are deep and comfortable.

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
I like any ride with lapbars, but not so much with OTSR's. I'm REALLY short (4' 7") so I get a rather uncomfortable amount of headbanging on some rides.

Dave

CF Legend
For me restraints can be different, depends on the forces of the ride.

As Maurer Sohne X-Car restraints are fantastic, the seats are nice and deep and the restrain fits over you easily, but G-Force is a bad example of it gone wrong, with the restraint tightening badly on the first drop, causing much pain.

B&M Invert, they are quite comfy to be honest, don't seem to have any problems with them.

Gerstlauer Bobsled restraints, ooo I love those restraints, they are comfy, may tighten on drops, but thats only slightly. But those random grips on the sides are quite cute.

A

Anonymous

As far as I can remember, the Air restraints at Alton Towers were quite comfy, so my comfiest restraints must be Air.