What's new

Merlin to run Blackpool Tower after £40m deal!

T0M

Hyper Poster
How many figures will they be able to fit in? Madam Tussauds in London has loads but it only takes an hour to go round it all, not worth the entrance fee at all.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tom Green said:
How many figures will they be able to fit in? Madam Tussauds in London has loads but it only takes an hour to go round it all, not worth the entrance fee at all.

An hour? Hah! Try 20 minutes... (granted that's up to Marvel and skipping Chamber)...

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Quite a lot of that 20 minutes is spent trying to get round the most ridiculous layout in the world. Putting the waxworks too close to each other meaning when people are waiting for to take photos they block the way through.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Some more specific news on opening dates, as from the Merlin Annual Pass page.

Madame Tussauds - including Blackpool from April 2011 and London

The Blackpool Tower, from September 2011 - including The Blackpool Tower Ballroom, The Blackpool Tower Circus, The Blackpool Tower Eye & Jungle Jims

The Dungeons - including Blackpool from September 2011, Edinburgh, London, York

That's for BOTH standard and premium as well, so not bad.

alexr

Hyper Poster
Some photos of what the tower will look like when finished...

pnw__1296553482_Blackpool_Tower_sketch6.jpg

pnw__1296553466_Blackpool_Tower_sketch5.jpg

pnw__1296552327_Blackpool_Tower_sketch_3.jpg

pnw__1296552263_Blackpool_Tower_sketch4.jpg

pnw__1296552239_Blackpool_Tower_sketch2.jpg

pnw__1296552104_Blackpool_Tower_sketch.jpg

Copyright merlin.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
How odd.

It seems to be going for that very sterile, 'professional' look that BPB keeps aiming towards and Merlin has seemingly purposefully avoided prior to this.

Very odd. I suppose, the top of the tower being white, since the attraction is what is outside it really is aiming to get you to see that. It's the signage outside and the booth with that sans serif, silver font that really shouts BPB at me.

Ben

CF Legend
bezzzzzer said:
It seems to be going for that very sterile, 'professional' look that BPB keeps aiming towards and Merlin has seemingly purposefully avoided prior to this.

Really...? It looks JUST like the inside of the London Aquarium now, and the Eye...

Ollie

CF Legend
At least they're making the glass floor up the tower larger. When I went up there about 3 years ago it was tiny and it was so dirty you could barely see through it.
Looks like they're going to clean it up quite well though and make it look much nicer. :)

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
bezzzzzer said:

Really...? It looks JUST like the inside of the London Aquarium now, and the Eye...

Yeah I see your point about those, the Eye especially slipped my mind. Thought they would've gone for a more 'vintage', almost Victorian look on it though and fit the Dungeons as opposed to it being very much a 'side' attraction.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dave said:
Dammit, taking Spinnaker's record....*grumble* (largest glass floor in europe)
It's not about the size or length. The most important thing is how thick it is. ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think the concept art looks how the tower should look. It needs to be quite bland, like the eye, to let the attraction breath and speak for itself.

The stock silhouettes in that timeline pic are the same ones I jacked for a project of mine last year. Haha. Har...

I didn't skew mine though. :/

Lofty

CF Legend
I think it looks great, it's kinda going back to it's original state, it has a very Victorian Era feel to it. It's pretty nice.

Oh yeah, don't know if this has been covered or not, I haven't got time/cannot be bothered to look through the topic, BUT, the Blackpool Attractions WILL be available on both Annual Passes, not like the rumour stated!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
According to a Times article - which I can't link to, coz now you have to pay for the **** thing (marketing fail), they have installed an Extremis, I didn't realise that. Nice!
Apparently the 4D show also involves the scent of a donkey's bum!