What's new

Merlin to run Blackpool Tower after £40m deal!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
£49 is good value if you're gonna do everything and don't have a MAP...

Though I doubt it includes a wristband for Blackpool, so that's another however much that is to add on...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Actually yeah, it says FROM £49; so there are additions to the ticket.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Yeah, it'll more then likely be £49 per child OR something like in the winter time and such. It won't be from the open/busy season.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ben said:
^The bottom of that site says it ends 6th November this year.

The end of Peak-Season starts for Blackpool on the Second week of September. So if you're meaning that as in that being the off-season, it starts a lot earlier than the 6th November.

Ben

CF Legend
^Nah, it just means as in... That's how long the deals for...

I really couldn't give a shiney sh.ite about it, I was just pointing out what you'd missed :(

Martyn B

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Though I doubt it includes a wristband for Blackpool, so that's another however much that is to add on...

furie said:
Actually yeah, it says FROM £49; so there are additions to the ticket.

Hmmm...

Pleasure Beach Blackpool and Merlin Entertainments are delighted to announce the launch of a new Blackpool Resort Pass, allowing visitors to experience the best attractions Blackpool has to offer for one great price of £49. The Blackpool Resort Pass includes a Pleasure Beach Unlimited Ride Wristband, entry to The Blackpool Tower Eye with 4D Cinema, The Blackpool Tower Dungeon and Sea Life Blackpool. That’s an amazing saving of up to £23.80

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think that's such good news for the Blackpool area. It really highlights that there is quite a lot to do for pretty damn good value. I'm hoping Merlin's takeover of the Tower and such will really help the town, and if so then maybe we'll see investment from the Pleasure Beach too?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was too busy reading the small print to notice the major points :lol:

It still says "From £49", but it's clear it was written by somebody who has been on Infusion too many times....

Lofty

CF Legend
Joey said:
I think that's such good news for the Blackpool area. It really highlights that there is quite a lot to do for pretty damn good value. I'm hoping Merlin's takeover of the Tower and such will really help the town, and if so then maybe we'll see investment from the Pleasure Beach too?

In all honesty, it's not exactly going to affect the town as much as the old tower used to. I'll explain why now; All the attractions used to be council owned. Therefore, whatever profit came in, went to them. Now, Merlin are in, a lot of that profit goes to them. So basically, the council are just getting whatever Merlin don't. Now, whilst this is good because the Council's Spenditure is down, they're not actually getting as much money through. Although, more people are visiting. It's a really confusing situation to try and work out if you're not involved with it. I'm going to try and have a word with a council member to work out exactly how it happens if anybody would be interested?

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yes but they've just spent millions to do up the tower and make it much better. It was a dump when I went about 5 years ago. It felt like it was falling apart and there was hardly anyone there.

It looks much better now and there's a lot more to do there. Even if Merlin take the profits the tower is still getting invested in like Merlin do with everything else they own.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
-lofty- said:
All the attractions used to be council owned. Therefore, whatever profit came in, went to them.
They're still council owned - it's just the council were smart enough to get Merlin in to run them rather than try and do it themselves. from 1891 and up until March 2010 the Tower was privately-owned and never by the council. So now they will get a share of the profits that the Bickerstaff family, or EMI, or Trevor Hemmings had got over the years. And with all the investment in the place there should be a pretty decent return even if most of it's going to Merlin.