What's new

Marina Park | Red Fire | Intamin Blitz Coaster

TilenB

Strata Poster
A new park in Turkish city of Tuzla, on the outskirts of the country's capital Istanbul is set to open with a Gerstlauer coaster, which is, according to rcdb.com, going to be rather similar to iSpeed (Mirabilandia).

http://rcdb.com/7395.htm

Sounds quite interesting, considering that there is already a rather similar ride in nearby Vialand. Nevertheless I'm glad that Turkey is getting some love with all the new parks they're getting lately.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Marina Park | unknown | Gerstlauer launched

Omg fab <3 Turkey is looking more and more appealing. There are SO many creds in and around Istanbul too!

elephant58

Hyper Poster

How do we actually know that it's a Gerstlauer? Surely if it will be very similar to iSpeed, it's more likely to be an Intamin?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

According to Coastersandmore the ride is from Intamin.

Also looks like rcdb wasn't sure, it dosen't say anything now about who's making it.

TilenB

Strata Poster

^&^^ Yeah, I guess it would be more possible if the ride was indeed Intamin. Doing some research, I found that it is the same people behind this project that were also behind Vialand. And considering that both of the bigger coasters there were made by the Swiss, it is quite possible that this one might be an Intamin as well. :)

Jake

Strata Poster
Re: Marina Park | unknown | unknown launched

Istanbul isn't the capital.

But yeah, there are loads of creds there now <3.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

A little research digs up he following concept art. Which isnt very revaling since the ride in the art is a rendering of Wicked at Lagoon. Which was built in house with Zierer i seem to remember.

Istan1.jpg

Istan2.jpg

Istan3.jpg

Istan4.jpg

Istan5.jpg

Istan7.jpg

Here's the site of the park. Its not very big either.

Istan6.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster

^^ Whoops, I always seem to mess up and proclaim Istanbul as the country's capital. Totally forgot about Ankara.

^ Thanks, roomraider. I wanted to post some of these as well, but I can't log in on my computer, nor iPad, so I'm now kind of stuck using tapatalk to access the forums... :S

GorresCoasters

Roller Poster

I'm just angered that Turkey gets all the Intamin hotness. Cedar Fair and Six Flags build almost just B&M's.

bmac

Giga Poster

Probably due to the fact that Intamin has been nothing but a **** in the United States over the last 18 years.

TilenB

Strata Poster

^ Bizarro, El Toro, Maverick and Skyrush just to name a few that are quite highly praised. I believe that the majority of the better Intamins were still built in the States rather than anywhere else (excluding the Mega-Lites).

bmac

Giga Poster

TilenB said:
^ Bizarro, El Toro, Maverick and Skyrush just to name a few that are quite highly praised. I believe that the majority of the better Intamins were still built in the States rather than anywhere else (excluding the Mega-Lites).

You missed the part where they're a total maintenance nightmare for parks as a whole.

Kingda Ka has dropped 2 hydraulic motors, and had to have its entire launch stretch replaced. El Toro has had multiple sections of track completely ripped apart for repair, and is extremely prone to saddling. Maverick had to have its track reconfigured. Skyrush broke axles on the trains, and literally tore itself apart its first year. Intimidator 305 would literally melt wheels before it got reconfigured. Volcano's launch LIMs would fail if they overheated, and its opening year they had to remove an entire car worth of seats just to make it cycle properly.

TL;DR: Intamin is too much trouble for US parks, that's why no one is buying them.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Are we seriously gonna discuss this thing again??

XLR8R

Roller Poster

When a park wants to build a coaster that is either a prototype and/or pushing the limits (e.g. Skyrush, El Toro, Maverick), I'm pretty sure that they know that increased maintenance issues will come with that decision.

If a park wants to pay a lot of money for a new coaster and wants to "play it safe", there's always B&M.

TilenB

Strata Poster

bmac said:
TilenB said:

You missed the part where they're a total maintenance nightmare for parks as a whole.

Kingda Ka has dropped 2 hydraulic motors, and had to have its entire launch stretch replaced. El Toro has had multiple sections of track completely ripped apart for repair, and is extremely prone to saddling. Maverick had to have its track reconfigured. Skyrush broke axles on the trains, and literally tore itself apart its first year. Intimidator 305 would literally melt wheels before it got reconfigured. Volcano's launch LIMs would fail if they overheated, and its opening year they had to remove an entire car worth of seats just to make it cycle properly.

TL;DR: Intamin is too much trouble for US parks, that's why no one is buying them.

As XLR8R has said, it mostly goes down to the fact that most of the rides you've listed were more or less first of a kind and thus, as with most such things, marred with possible technical malfunctions. Believe it or not, European parks that have gone with a prototype have these problems as well. I can't really name most, since European parks don't usually go public with every little bit of technical irregularities, but from the top of my head, I can say that Mirabilandia had quite some problems with their 2 Intamin rides. iSpeed couldn't have had 2 trains on the course during the first few months of operation, DiVertical has spent more time down than running since its opening, etc.

bmac

Giga Poster

TilenB said:
As XLR8R has said, it mostly goes down to the fact that most of the rides you've listed were more or less first of a kind and thus, as with most such things, marred with possible technical malfunctions. Believe it or not, European parks that have gone with a prototype have these problems as well. I can't really name most, since European parks don't usually go public with every little bit of technical irregularities, but from the top of my head, I can say that Mirabilandia had quite some problems with their 2 Intamin rides. iSpeed couldn't have had 2 trains on the course during the first few months of operation, DiVertical has spent more time down than running since its opening, etc.

So then kindly explain why there are no major issues with B&M Wing Coasters, first generation Stand-ups, Dive Coasters, Floorless Coasters. Hell Hulk, using a secondary company for their launch lift, doesn't have those kinds of issues even though it's totally neglected by Universal. Where are the downtime issues for the RMC coasters, or Gravity Group coasters? Even when those types of rides have issues (Superman Ultimate Flight blowing its lift motor last year) other companies seem to handle the issues a lot more seriously than Intamin does. El Toro blows a lift motor, down for over a month. Superman does it and it's up and running 2 weeks later.

I really want to know how through all this time Intamin can still design rides have so many issues with them, when other companies can design just as intense, and unique rides and not suffer these sorts of issues. Premier figured that out after their LIM issues in the late 1990s, Mack and Zierer build similar rides to Intamin and do not have anywhere near the downtime.

Dapalm

Mega Poster

^ Well, Intamin usually goes too extreme, that's why problems happen. You can't compare it to the other manufacturers you listed. You can't compare Hulk launch, using flywheels to reach a low speed with using hydraulic technology to reach 206km/h. You can't also compare it to RMC or TGG. They don't go as intense as Intamin (taking intensity as sustained Gs and not spikes). This kind of designs (turns with extreme forces sustained) are what causes more tear. That said, yeah, Intamin has had a lot of fails (I305 and Maverick are the best examples), but I guess parks were informed and had in account this things when they bought the ride.

I'd also like to mention Baco. Lot of downtime, launch speed reduced at the end of launch before opening, lot of roughness caused by the trains...

andrus

Giga Poster

Wow, that was quick!

Looks very similar to iSpeed though, almost clone-ish?