What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Sharon29060 said:
I wonder if other inverts could get this new type of train.

No, they would have to buy all new trains to fit them, and then there would be clearance issues with the added width of the new train. Maybe some of the old inverts could run the new trains without the clearance issus, but then it's still a multi million dollar investment.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
I hope those are still soft wheels cos it runs like a pig.
How so? It looked like it had pretty good pacing from what I could tell. Moved through the vertical loop pretty quickly.

The first dive loop looks slow IMO only because of how big and swooping it is. My first thought when looking at it was how long the coaster is upside down. I hope a lot of people don't try and nit-pick this coaster for the little things. Especially before they've even ridden it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another test photo has been released:

1959238_10152664873958368_739455933_n.jpg

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
The speed of this is amazing, it doesn't let up the whole way through! Really really impressed by this ride, let's hope B&M start to do more rides like this as the new winged coaster in Germany has terrible pacing through the inversions.

marc

CF Legend
Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

owenrita121 said:
The speed of this is amazing, it doesn't let up the whole way through! Really really impressed by this ride, let's hope B&M start to do more rides like this as the new winged coaster in Germany has terrible pacing through the inversions.

There was a media day for the German coaster and it's due to the soft wheels they are running as the weather is cold, it's also meant to be really rough due to that reason. They will change the wheels when the weather is better.

This looks ok, looks nice through out the ride. Just hope it's better than Oz as Asterix as that looked the sane sort if pace and was lane in a lot of places.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
My issue is that the inversions are so stretched out, which is whats causing the bad pacing in my opinion. That zero-g is unnecessarily long (talking from a riders view as I have no engineering skills), it just glides through rather than the usual B&M branded whip that we're used to. Why'd they get rid of their signature inversion whips?? It makes all the difference!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

^Because the newer zero g rolls actually live up to their name and give you zero g.

The snaps are a design flaw and defeat the purpose of what a zero g is supposed to be for. If you want something to snap, then put in a corkscrew.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I will go fully on record as saying that Raptor is still my favorite zero-g roll, even with the design flaw. Patriot and Talon also have very good ones, but I do like that "flick" in the transition.

Pacing of the coaster seems to be well on, especially following the speed of the last car. I am still very curious on how pacing will translate with the second half of the ride, and if the in-line twist will be a similarly-slow-inversion to Gatekeeper.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
marc said:
There was a media day for the German coaster and it's due to the soft wheels they are running as the weather is cold, it's also meant to be really rough due to that reason. They will change the wheels when the weather is better.

Those wheels are just used to avoid a stalling of the ride, that would occur with the regular wheels. They are also used only on 2 of the 6 cars.

When it gets hotter outside those cars will also get the regular wheels, so those cars will be smoother, but there will be very little affect on the pacing of the ride, apart from the regular temperature differences that every coaster is affected by.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Rather, I have always been under the impression that soft wheels are used during roller coaster testing as they will have a higher rolling resistance, which causes the train to travel slower. This allows manufacturers to test for risk of valleying and rollbacks, as the train is traveling below the optimal speed.

Hard wheels are used as they having a lower rolling resistance, and allow the train to travel faster/up to speed.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
^ Yes you are right about the soft wheels, I didn't read it through that specifically before I quoted. The two rough cars are of course using Nylon wheels, in order to get some more speed.

Soft wheels (Polyurethane) are however not only used for testing, those are the kind of wheels you want the ride to run with on a regular basis in order to keep it smooth. There are different Polyurethane wheels, which give you different speed effects.

If a ride is slower than anticipated (rarely happens anymore) you can get a bit more speed with nylon wheels (which is done here, due to the cold weather so far) and if a ride is a bit to fast you can take it away buy using even softer Polyurethane wheels (Tatsu).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Latest photo update. Neat that the pathway will allow for a good view of the layout.

1979529_10151994078843639_1036699840_n.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sad news: trims are rumored to be at the bottom of the drop after the zero-g roll. This was to be the fastest point on the ride.

bmac

Giga Poster
If the ride is going to be anything like the older B&Ms the trims should be able to be deactivated on the operator's panel.