What's new

John Wardley back on the season pass podcast :)

Ollie

CF Legend
I loved the last time they interviews John Wardley. It was super interesting to listen to and he's so humble. :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Why wouldn't he be humble? What does he actually do? He's not a coaster designer. He's not a park manager. He's not an engineer. He just comes up with "ideas." Ok, so Nemesis is great, but he didn't actually design the coaster. What else? Would B&M have designed the Dive Machine without him? Yes. Their flyer? Yes.

Sorry, but I really don't understand the group masturbation that goes on as soon as Wardley's name is attached to something.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ He had alot more input with Air.

Buyt yeah he's an ideas man.

It's nice to know theres someone in the industry with the "what if" attitude he has though!

spicy

Giga Poster
gavin said:
^Why wouldn't he be humble? What does he actually do? He's not a coaster designer. He's not a park manager. He's not an engineer. He just comes up with "ideas." Ok, so Nemesis is great, but he didn't actually design the coaster.

I thought that he designed the coasters? Or does he literally just draw a layout and say I want it to be like this..?

NASHER

Roller Poster
I'm pretty sure he just provides the very basic ideas for a ride (and I'm also pretty sure it isn't *only* him and he's got a talented team working with him aswell)
He helped created 2 awesome coasters....and a lot of medicore ones...enthusiasts waste far to many tissues thinking about him ;)
this isn't a personal attack on him by any means, I'm sure he's very good at his job, and a nice person...I do expect he's more than a little surprised at the celebrity status he now has amongst enthusiasts though!!!

Beans

Hyper Poster
If you had met him like we did at Thorpe for Saw opening then you would understand that he is a very humble unassuming guy.
He talked to Leigh with a lot of enthusiasm about the work leigh did on No Limits, he asked Leigh a lot of deatils on how he found the program, we also discussed his previous imputs with Nemesis and Oblivion. It was a much more informal conversation. He was interested in Leighs other work as well. He keeps in touch via email and has given Leigh advice on future career in the Theme Park industry.

He was very quiet spoken and seemed shocked that Leigh would want to be photographed with him, I don't think he actually see's himself as important enough to warrant the attention he gets.
He seems a genuinely nice bloke and given the right situation he enjoys what he does and doesn't speak down to you like a lot of so called famous people.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
For the confused to what he does...

He is a consultant. He basically comes up with the concept for a new ride, suggests a layout, a transit system, a theme, a location, budgets, etc... He does not actually do the designing at all. But without his input, the things like Oblivion, Nemesis, Air, Vampire, half of chessington, Kahn, Stampedia, The haunted house, etc.. will probally not exist how they currently are.

On the subject, our 13 Documentary with our exclusive interview isn't even close to ready yet :) Wild Asia will come first. But I'm working my arse off to get them done.

andrus

Giga Poster
It would be interesting to know exactly how deep involved Wardley is in the designprocess itself. I know that it was his suggestion to put in the last corkscrew at nemesis. But did he do more than so? Did he have something to do with the rest of the layout? And how much was he involved in Dragon Khan? Eg did he tell B&M to skip the last helix and go for the inversion world record instead? I might should join mania hub and send in my questions :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^I sent my questions straight after the last interview with John directly to the people who did it. I hope they read mine out haha.
Anyone know when they're going to do the interview again?

neo

Mega Poster
^At some point today.

I’d recommend that people also check out some of the other shows the Season Pass has done as they’re really good. In the latest episode of Nicks ERT for instance, Nick Hutson reviews Dickens World and gives us a live audio walkthrough of Scream at Madame Tussauds London (link below).

http://seasonpasspodcast.libsyn.com/ind ... _id=602168

Not so long ago they also did a fantastic three part interview with Tim Delaney, of Space Mountain/Discoveryland (Disneyland Paris) and California Screamin’ (Disney’s California Adventure) fame (link below).

http://seasonpasspodcast.libsyn.com/

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ I hate that Nick Hutson guy. He doesn't know anything, I like it when he talks about theatre but he knows naff all about parks quite frankly.

I also second the Tim Delaney saga, it's awesome. Everybody should listen to it.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Am I the only person who thinks that John Wardley and John from the Saw series are the same person? They both had input into Saw:The Ride, same first name, and they even look the same!
johnw.png

tobinb.png

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Part one was fantastic, although the presenters kept going on about "ride stories" which was annoying because John Wardley answereed the question like three times and then the american presenter repeated what he said,urgh.

But it's fancinating hear about how Thirteen came about. With so much restriction they've done well. It sounds like they had to fight for even the outside part of the ride, as initially they said they only let alton build on Corkscrew's old site.

And he's right about wanting to bring people on Thirteen who don't know what happens! I'm dying to do that to see their reaction haha!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
So the fact that it wasn't the same as the marketing is not John's fault...

DAMN YOU CANDI HOLLAND!

Ahem...

Yeah, good words from John, interesting to find out his views about Expedition Everest and the fact that he finds it weird how the enthusiasts make up stories to fit the ride when it has no real story...

When's part 2 due?

A

Anonymous

bezzzzzer said:
^ I hate that Nick Hutson guy. He doesn't know anything, I like it when he talks about theatre but he knows naff all about parks quite frankly.

I also second the Tim Delaney saga, it's awesome. Everybody should listen to it.

Hate is a strong word! Sorry about that. I'd like to think I know a little bit about parks... John certainly says I do!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the interview. It was an eye opening 2 hour experience; just to sit back and hear John talk about something we all shared a passion in.

Part two will be out in a week's time - enjoy it! And, yes, do check out the Tim Delaney interview - it's pretty amazing stuff!

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
nickhutson said:
bezzzzzer said:

Hate is a strong word! Sorry about that. I'd like to think I know a little bit about parks... John certainly says I do!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the interview. It was an eye opening 2 hour experience; just to sit back and hear John talk about something we all shared a passion in.

Part two will be out in a week's time - enjoy it! And, yes, do check out the Tim Delaney interview - it's pretty amazing stuff!

Ouch not very nice :D. I for one enjoy what you have to say Nick, and your ERT shows. Anyway brilliant Wardley interview, and cannot wait for the 2nd part.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
nickhutson said:
bezzzzzer said:

Ha! Yes, hate is a strong word and I do apologise, I am one for using extreme words when they're unnecessary! If John says you do then I'd take his word, I'm sure he knows more than me!

I thought your Dickens World review was awesome, I really enjoyed that, and your maze walk through at Madame Tussauds was pretty damn funny. I did listen to it with my large headphones and it was very atmospheric! I adore the podcast so much, I just kinda guess that when we eventually get an episode dedicated to British parks I want to hear dicussions about this and that and obviously there isn't enough time to cover everything. When there's only one British episode every other blue moon you can't fit everything in, so that's understandable that you can only cover a handfull of stuff.

I guess I just get frustrated because I want to hear about more.... through lack of a better term, relevant?, maybe contemporary issues, which is by no means a bad thing because, as I said, hearing about Dickens World was great. The first thing I did after that podcast was to go on the Internet to see how far from home it was! But I suppose I'm saying I'd like to hear about things such as Th13teens opening day, Lightwater Valley's new attractions, the future of the small parks and some discussion/ reviews on the attractions at the larger parks of course.

I don't want to knock down your stuff because it is awesome that you take your time out to do this type of thing, but I just want to hear about the news items going on here, do you know what I mean? I don't want to sound like a prat because I really do enjoy the podcast. I guess the Americans have so many different guests from all over they can give insights into so many different parks.

I'm sorry I sounded like a twat. I look forward to your next episode, really!