What's new

Iron Wolf will Close on Labor Day

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Iron Wolf may be removed by the end of the 2011 season

^Come on Marcus, be reasonable, it will be the dark knight RISES and it will be a mirror of the other one that's just down the pathway...but it will be exactly the same...following 2012 season, RB is headed to sfstl and they are getting a big Apple and a mini frog hopper in its place. Then the whizzer will be taken out for a Vekoma Jr. Inverted coaster. That park is quickly becoming full of win.

Sent from your mom's home

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Iron Wolf may be removed by the end of the 2011 season

Maybe 6F is the mystery buyer of the mouse from South of the Border?
(I'm kidding.)

alexr

Hyper Poster

Saw this on Screamscape, making it nearly confirmed.

B&M Coaster - Rumor - (7/27/11) A reader sent in a screen capture showing off a permit application filed by Six Flags America the other week for a “Stand Up Coaster” that they came across on the local government website (verified). So consider this the near confirmation that Iron Wolf is coming.

2011_0726_SFApermit.jpg

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Snoo

The Legend

Well that pretty much seals it.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster

To double seal it, I'm at SFGAm today, and I asked the ride opp why IW is leaving. He said, "How do you know?" That confirms it.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster

^Aftert talking to more park employees, I have found that a Ferris Wheel will replace IW. They also are putting up a new coaster by the entrance. Nobody seems to know what kind of coaster though.

ragingbull1331

Roller Poster

tomahawKSU said:
Was one of them the dip-n-dots guy?

Well the guy who works the Popcorn/Cotton Candy stand by the merry go round told me that we were getting a 4d wooded roller coaster with a corkscrew and barrel roll, seems plausible.

Seriously though, Great America can't get a ferris wheel because no one has asked permission from the Zoning Board of Gurnee yet, and at this point in time for it to be open next year they would've asked already.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Im a bit late catching up on the news that Iron Wolf will be re-located, But i'll be the first one to say that im pleased to hear that it's not going to scrapped :D

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Obviously it was the Lemon-Chill Guy.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Awww I love Iron Wolf.

The seats and restraints are uncomfortable, the heartlinings appauling, it has the weirdest banking changes and angles ever. BUT it has so much charm, it's a shame it kinda faded into the background in the park, you can berly see it from the pathways. It also takes that flatspin towards the end at a crazy speed. I hope it's cared for a little before moving to it's new home. It really is an underrated classic imo.

Everyone is too soft.

tribar

Mega Poster

DarrenBloomfield said:
Im a bit late catching up on the news that Iron Wolf will be re-located, But i'll be the first one to say that im pleased to hear that it's not going to scrapped :D

It still could be. The park hasn't even announced it's removal yet

tribar

Mega Poster
Well Iron Wolf will be removed on Labor Day of this year.

SFGAm Facebook Page

After a long 21 year history at the park, we will be removing Iron Wolf. Make sure to get your last rides in – Iron Wolf’s Last Stand is September 5.

Personally im glad the ride is leaving. My last ride was extremely painful, the ride broke down twice turning a 5 min wait into a 20 min one and the ride ops were rude

Darren B

Giga Poster

alexr said:
Saw this on Screamscape, making it nearly confirmed.

B&M Coaster - Rumor - (7/27/11) A reader sent in a screen capture showing off a permit application filed by Six Flags America the other week for a “Stand Up Coaster” that they came across on the local government website (verified). So consider this the near confirmation that Iron Wolf is coming.

2011_0726_SFApermit.jpg

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

All eyes on this now then, This is most certainly IW and not a new stand-up. With new trains, a paint job, and a whole new name/theme this could be a good bit of business for Six Flags, It makes sense to give both parks a new coaster and only pay for 1 (obviously there will be a cost for the relocation etc.)

EDIT: Ive just done a bit of research and SFGA doesnt close its doors for the season until the end of October, yet Iron Wolf's last ride will be on the 5th of September. Why would they remove IW 2 months before the end of the season?, especially as there are no announced plans for the location it currently sits in (eg. GASM/Green Lantern), and it would make the removal so much easier without the hazzard of guests to do it post season. This all surely points to the fact that they need it to be removed early in order for it to be reassembled in time for the 2012 season at SFA.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
To start deconstruction early enough to get it to Maryland and (hopefully) start work on whatever will go in it's old footprint?

I thought that 6FGAm didn't need to go through the Gurnee board for anything under a certain height? Like 200 feet or somesuch...

Darren B

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
To start deconstruction early enough to get it to Maryland and (hopefully) start work on whatever will go in it's old footprint?

I thought that 6FGAm didn't need to go through the Gurnee board for anything under a certain height? Like 200 feet or somesuch...

My guess is because its going to be a permanent structure they still need to obtain planning permission. I cant see it being refused, i thinks its just the process that has to happen.

tribar

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:

Its only 125 feet but yeah if it's under 125 feet then they don't have to go to the zoning board