What's new

Iron Wolf will Close on Labor Day

tribar

Mega Poster
Iron Wolf, B&M's first coaster, at Six Flags Great America will be removed on 9/5/11.
http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/59091.aspx

Iron Wolf to possibly close at Six Flags Great America.

I am not one for rumors, but from what I have been told, Iron Wolf will cease operation at SFGAm on 9/5/11. Just spreading the word if you like this coaster (even though most don't). So get your rides in before and up until this date.

Like I said, not into the rumor thing, but I am sure this is legit!!!!

If it is removed it might go to Six Flags America or the scrapyard

Tony

Hyper Poster
Re: Iron Wolf may be removed by the end of the 2011 season

Will be sad to see B&M's first coaster get removed but it was a rough piece of crap! Would still like to see it live on as this could also be the first B&M to be scrapped if not relocated.

Dave

CF Legend

Tony said:
Will be sad to see B&M's first coaster get removed but it was a rough piece of crap! Would still like to see it live on as this could also be the first B&M to be scrapped if not relocated.

Not the first relocate, that's been done a few times to my knowledge...

Snoo

The Legend

Don't worry.. no one will miss anything.. well maybe Jerry.. as it was his 4,000th or something?

Xpress

Strata Poster

It's still a piece of B&M history. Would be sad to see it go.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster

That's sad. Its a historical ride and was my first big ride. I'm the only person who I know that likes the ride. I can see why they may want to get rid of it because not many people will miss it. Its always a walk-on because of how rough it is. I'm pretty disapointed that my home park may scrap a coaster. I'll have to be sure to ride it a few more times before the end of the year.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Another coaster to be removed from SFGAm with no replacement....possibly. Or they will get another wild mouse.

Snoo

The Legend

I say get another wild mouse.

Snoo

The Legend

Chang, Georgia Scorcher, and Riddler was pretty good actually.

Darren B

Giga Poster

I think its a shame that it may be getting removed, even if it has become a rough ride, especially as its iconic to the rollercoaster industry. Ive heard many comments saying that Iron Wolf was once one of the finest coasters around, all be it 10 years ago but its still its a real shame. Would it not be possible to revamp the ride to make it smoother and more durable? Even replacing the trains to start with ? (Im led to believe that it still holds its original trains) and then onto structural reformation on the parts of the track that need it. I know it would be an expensive upgrade but surely more finacially beneficial than replacing it with a new coaster.

All in all though a sad day if it does finally depart :(

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster

bizarrofan10 said:
my motto is ASS:

ASS: All Stand-ups Suck

Thats a little harsh. What stand-ups have you been on?

I've only been on 2 Green Lantern and shockwave They weren't the worst rides!

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

Justin:

I had a terrible experience on Mantis at Cedar Point. The ride wasn't bad, it was painful. I lost circulation in my legs and all the blood rushed to my feet. It hurt so much that I tried to sit on the bike petal instead of stand.

After riding, I thought about replacing the Mantis stand-up trains with floorless trains. Is that possible? The same B&M Mega-looper track, but with floorless trains instead of stand-up trains.

Darren B

Giga Poster

bizarrofan10 said:
Justin:

I had a terrible experience on Mantis at Cedar Point. The ride wasn't bad, it was painful. I lost circulation in my legs and all the blood rushed to my feet. It hurt so much that I tried to sit on the bike petal instead of stand.

After riding, I thought about replacing the Mantis stand-up trains with floorless trains. Is that possible? The same B&M Mega-looper track, but with floorless trains instead of stand-up trains.

It's a question which can go either way because it has been done before, but from seated to standing and it failed. My opinion is it will never be done on a B&M because they've specifically tuned it to the heartline of a stand-up position so a seating position would be slighty off. And also the GP like the Gimmick of standing up, and as long as the ride still gains enough enthusiasm it will stay exactly the way it is, Plus to finish, CP have raptor,corkscrew and maverick, In one variation or another they're all sit down coasters with a loop.

Xpress

Strata Poster

bizarrofan10 said:
Justin:

Getting the right seating position is KEY. You should be able to relax your legs just slightly with your feet flat on the car, but still be able to stand up off of the seat if need be. Also, being dehydrated, lack of food, ect. can play with your mind.

Also replacing the seats with another seat style would be possible, however in order to achieve the correct heartline you would need for the seats to be elevated off of the floor. Standups have quite a high heartline position, due to the standing rider position....

TTDfan52

Mega Poster

bizarrofan10 said:
Justin:

I had the same experience on Mantis. It would be awesome if they replaced the trains because the ride is good except for the pain.

I would enjoy it if they made IW floorless.

Darren B

Giga Poster

The thing with a Stand-up coaster layout is that it is designed for the stand-up experience, You could certainly convert a Floorless into a standard sit down model and vice-versa without detracting from the rides experience but if you were to stick either one onto a Stand-up track then i think you would find quite a dull layout, But regardless there is no argument because its never going to happen.

Anyway back on topic, Iron Wolf leaving 2011 (Maybe)........

ragingbull1331

Roller Poster

I hope it gets removed... but then again is another wild mouse worth it as a replacement?

Snoo

The Legend

^Obviously! You guys should just get the Dark Knight from SFNE that wasn't built. PERFECT! :p