What's new

Iphones

Pierre

Strata Poster
Orange have announced they'll be selling the 3GS later this year, of the two I'd rather be with o2 to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Pierre said:
Orange have announced they'll be selling the 3GS later this year, of the two I'd rather be with o2 to be honest.

Really?? Well according to 02 other networks are not allowed to sell the 3GS for another 2 years. They can start selling normal iPhone 3G and 2G from October but not the 3Gs because 02 still have the exclusivity or whatever its called for the next 2 years

Mark

Strata Poster
Tis really annoying actually, since I recently ended my contract with Orange and joined TMobile :(

Clearly o2 aren't doing as well with it as Apple want?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'll bet that Apple have a clause where if O2 aren't seen to be making enough of an effort to shift the iPhone, then Apple can end their exclusivity.

Certainly sounds like they aren't and Apple want more pie ;)

Dave

CF Legend
But Orange are woeful at contract phone. Just lump on an extra £12 a month and claim its 'line rental'

Mark

Strata Poster
To be honest I thought Orange were the best in terms of contract deal and everything. What was not so hot is their uprgade policies. Hence me changing.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
This makes having an iPhone a completely viable option for me. I have been with Orange for years and I love the benefits like Orange Wednesdays which are really useful. I nearly jumped for joy when I saw it on Orange's Mobile webpage this morning.

It is going to cause a bit of a price war I think, we can only be good for people who are interested in iPhones.

marc

CF Legend
I hope they hurry up and say what they are going to offer.

Most websites seem to think the phone will cost the same as on O2 but the packages will be a bit less.

They are not expected to let people have them on the existing packages, new ones will be created.

Know one really knows yet.

I am with O2 at the moment but still have a contract with Orange as I get free internet with them, so if it works out cheaper I will get the phone on Orange and ditch O2.

A

Anonymous

If T-Mobile and Orange are to have rights to sell the iPhone then that could possibly mean apple will stop making patches in their updates.

For those who don't know
Apple have a patch in their update which checks for software unlocked phones. If the upgrade finds a Software Unlocked phone then the upgrage locks the phone back up to the original network. (In our case 02)

mrclam

Giga Poster
I think i'm the only person alive who doesnt like the iphone.. I had one on trial for a week, i thought it was poop as a phone. Which, at the end of the day is kinda the main function of it!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Vodafone iPhone = Win!

I've not had too many problems with O2's coverage (and I have travelled around the country a fair bit) but Vodafone is simply the best network provider imo.

When my O2 contract runs out in January 2011, I'll certainly be looking around but I'd choose O2 over Orange and Vodafone over both of them.

marc

CF Legend
For me its all going to depend who offers the best package when it comes to texts.

I think it will probably be Orange as they have in the past given more free texts than the other networks.

O2 has been fine for me as well but I use more than 500 texts a month and thats where my problem is.

Orange has better 3G coverage and they are meant to be allowing the connection to laptop for free where as O2 charge. That is another thing that will make me swap.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Sorry to bump this topic.

Orange are releasing them 10th November. At the moment I am trying to decide whether I want to get into a contract or pay as you go? Anyone got any opinions?

Ollie

CF Legend
Do all the apps and stuff work on the iPod Touch as well?
I really want an iPhone but they were too costly when I looked at them last year.
How much are they now roughly? and is it better to get a contract of PAYG?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Can't people work stuffs out themselves, or do you just like giving me little jobs to do? :p

Okay, I'll take the 16Gb iPhone 3GS as the base example to work it out.

Monthly (24 month contract)
£29.36 / month
£125 phone cost
150 minutes
250 texts
750 Mb internet usage

Total cost over 2 years:
£829.64

Pay as you go
Unlimited Texts £10 /month
Calls 20p per minute (sorry, only you can work out how much you use the phone).
12 months free internet usage
12 months internet usage at £2 per day (I'll say maybe you use it half the time)
£440 phone cost

Total cost over 2 years
£1045 + you calls

That's if you were to use the iPhone in the same manner you would pay as you go and contract. It's not a 100% accurate costing, but it does show that really, you're much better off on a contract.

Sources
http://interest.orange.co.uk/#iPhonePAYM
http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/ ... 918%29.pdf

Steven

Giga Poster
Your pricing Furie is WAY out.

Internet is free upto 250mb a month and unlimited wifi. :razz: On P&G. Not £2 a day.

For the real pricing go to www.orange.co.uk just at the top of the page click on the Iphone bit. Pricing is different to normal contracts their.