What's new

Iphones

big john

Mega Poster
I always said id never get an iphone cause there poo but i was swayed by a free upgrade and i love the thing and dont know how i would go on without it lol. Its just so versatile it does so many things. And to address marc on his crashing i have never had any probs freezing or crashing ever with mine but tanya's hase crashed a couple of time but i put that down to her faffing about with to many things at once so not sure mate try what ya said and reset see if it works

A

Anonymous

Well i have decied to NOT to unlock my phone and go with 02. my 3Gs should arrive either tomorrow or monday.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You've made a good choice my friend.

Although it doesn't seem on paper that there's much difference between the 3G and S versions, when using it you'll notice it.

My mate brought a 3G a week before I got my S and we swapped in the pub to see each others apps and stuff. He was amazed how much faster the apps loaded, how clearer the screen was, how cool the way the screen self-adjusts its brightness and how quicker the 3G appeared to work. He took his 3G back and got the S.

Be careful of the voice control though. My mate Ren managed to embarrass me in the pub the other week by saying, "Play songs by James Blunt" which was quickly followed by the opening bars of 1973 :oops:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't think it does, unless my mate had his auto-brightness turned off or stuck on bright?

Error

Strata Poster
I can't say much about the iPhone being that I've never used one, let alone owned one. I'm someone of very, very simple tastes, only replacing things when they're broken/unable to be sufficient enough (Example being I only bought my macbook when my dell decided not to turn on).

My cell phone is actually my friend's spare, when she thought she lost hers and found it later. It's roughly 4-5 years old or so, and they don't make accessories for it. But, it still makes calls and sends text so it does it's job. Same can be said with my video iPod, my guitar, and my parents cars.

As far as the iPhone goes, it seems a bit much when the iPod touch can do all but two things the iPhone can (being a phone and a camera). So by that I wouldn't want one. But, again, I can't much seeing as I've never used one.

A

Anonymous

Ian,
What is the battery life like on your 3Gs? I have heard the battery will only last 4 hours from charging it fully 100%

But I also know it depends on how much you use the thing as well.

Pierre

Strata Poster
The 3G has the auto-brightness feature too.

My 3G battery life got down to 20% from a full charge that was with periodically using everything, phoning, texting, the wifi, the apps, the 3g when I wasn't in wifi access. The 3gs has a better battery life too.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The battery life on the iPhone is terrible.

The 3GS has a slightly better batter, but only by an hour or so, nothing dramatic.

I'm one of those geeks that likes to run a battery down and recharge from scratch as often as possible.

I find I need to charge my iPhone at least five times a week.

If you use the apps a lot, watch videos, phone, text, iPod and surf net, then you'll looking at about a daily charge. I made it last two days by seldom using the apps and others.

A heavy iPhone user like myself will get, from a full charge, 16 hours of standby and 8 hours of use.

3G kills the battery, use wi-fi where possible.

A

Anonymous

Pierre said:
The 3G has the auto-brightness feature too.

My 3G battery life got down to 20% from a full charge that was with periodically using everything, phoning, texting, the wifi, the apps, the 3g when I wasn't in wifi access. The 3gs has a better battery life too.

The 3Gs is SUPPOSED to have a better battery life, but I was reading on one website who did a test and the outcome was there were no difference in battery life.

Ian said:
The battery life on the iPhone is terrible.

The 3GS has a slightly better batter, but only by an hour or so, nothing dramatic.

I'm one of those geeks that likes to run a battery down and recharge from scratch as often as possible.

I find I need to charge my iPhone at least five times a week.

If you use the apps a lot, watch videos, phone, text, iPod and surf net, then you'll looking at about a daily charge. I made it last two days by seldom using the apps and others.

A heavy iPhone user like myself will get, from a full charge, 16 hours of standby and 8 hours of use.

3G kills the battery, use wi-fi where possible.

Thanks for that Ian. I'm also one of those people who use all of those features. My PDA I had to charge everyday but I heard the iPhone was worse and would last about 4 hours and that is using everything.

big john

Mega Poster
the gps also hammers the battery i got tom tom maps and it ran a full charge out in under 45 mins but now iv got a car charger so yay lol i fint when im working and not using it much i can get 3 days before a charge but when im off for a couple of days i use it a lot for music and stuff so as long as im near a plug at some point its cool it dosnt take to long to charge as is anyways

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
With the charging, the 3GS takes about 2 hours to do a full charge.

iPhones (and iPods for that matter) will do a quick charge to 80% capacity then slow charge over that. this increases the battery life.

The 3GS will charge to 80% in approx 1hr and will take another hour to reach 100%.

Fuxake, I can't believe what a ****ing geek this phone has turned me into.

Dave

CF Legend
The 3G does have a brightness meter, its left of the speaker at the top of the phone. Usually appears as three red dots.

marc

CF Legend
There is quite a big difference between the 3G and the S. The S is faster with everything it does, even going through the menu. Safari is faster its just better tbh.

The screen does change brightness on the 3G as well.

I have re installed my phone now, had no problems since :)

I am one of these people that did not want an iPhone and like others I dont know what I would do without it. A pc I could live without and iPhone I could not lol. I can not see myself ever getting a different phone again.

A

Anonymous

Well I have just phoned out, There is a new iPhone. Its called the iPhone 3Gi and is not available to the public just yet except for certain people. It is suposed to be the best phone on the market. Although I cannot seem to find a place which sells the damn thing lol.

You all waybe interested in hearing this as well
http://www.discuss-all.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39&f=16

It just comfirms what i said about Orange and T-Mobile are going for.

Jake

Strata Poster
I've had my iPhone 3G for a year now and I have to say i've become totally dependant on it.

Even if I go abroad, and lose my free internet it feels like something is missing...

Perhaps when the contract runs out i'll go 'back to basics' and get a retro phone or something...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
JJ said:
Apple have said there are companies like play.com and amazon.co.uk who buy iPhones from countries where they are not locked to a network. This is called factory unlocked iPhones. What the companies are doing is legal although the warranty of the phone is only valid in the country it was made from. So if my iPhone does pack up then I have to go to the country where the phone was made and speak to Apple over there rather than Apple UK.
No you don't have to deal with Apple abroad. If you buy an unlocked phone from a UK retailer and it develops a fault, the retailer is liable under the sale of goods act, and must sort out the problem. Don't forget about your statutory rights.

Anyway, I've also succumbed to the lure of the 3GS. Between the iPod, mobile internet access and the ability to run applications (such as task management stuff to keep myself organized at work), I love mine already.