What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I agree that enthusiasts are far too critical sometimes. Personally I think it'll be a good coaster, probably better than Millie, and heck I'm still excited to ride it, I was just upset about the restraints :p .

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah, just watched the videos.... looks good to me!

I approve... anyone who doesn't can just wait until its running then complain.

Edit... I really should have put a smiley at the end of that statement...

here you go; ;-)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
So, I missed the part of the announcement where they mentioned the vertical lift hill.
;)

I'm actually excited about this coaster. It really looks like a giga-version of a Mega-Lite, and that's definitely a good thing.

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
I agree, it looks great, but I really don't like the look of the lift hill. With Millennium Force, the elaborate lift structure really makes it stand out in the park and makes it look really stunning, but with this ride, the lack of supports for me doesn't make it look quite as good as Millie.

It just looks like some track really high up in the sky, it's not very eye-catching to me. Does anyone else think this?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
So far, I like the lift. I think the fat yellow supports and the wider than normal red track structure really POPS, but until it gets built, I'll reserve judgement.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I must admit the layout looks miiighty impressive!

It's mad that the lift hill only has one support!!!

Thumbs down to OTSR though! Can we call this coaster a Giga-lite?

It just looks like some track really high up in the sky, it's not very eye-catching to me. Does anyone else think this?

All I have to say is, who cares? As long as the drop is amazing, I barely care how it looks.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
I must admit the layout looks miiighty impressive!

It's mad that the lift hill only has one support!!!

Yeah, it's crazy, considering the one support has got to be a good 150ft up?

Snoo

The Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:

All I have to say is, who cares? As long as the drop is amazing, I barely care how it looks.

Yeah! Hey! Lets just not talk about how we feel about something and sit around with our thumbs up our asses!

YAY!

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
SFMMMan said:
I agree, it looks great, but I really don't like the look of the lift hill. With Millennium Force, the elaborate lift structure really makes it stand out in the park and makes it look really stunning, but with this ride, the lack of supports for me doesn't make it look quite as good as Millie.

Its big and red. I think it'll be seen.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Well it's obvious now that KD was working with limited space here, based on the layout.
I've got mixed feelings on this one. My first thought was "A 300 foot drop into a turn... lame." I definitely had hopes for some kind of huge airtime monster, doing what Millennium Force doesn't. But after watching the video a couple times and getting over the initial letdown, I actually think this is going to be a very fun ride.
A couple of those hill look like they'll have good airtime and navigating those turns at high speed will be fun, a bit like Maverick. And with no MCBR, it keeps the speed up pretty much throughout, which I think is one of MF's best features.

Honestly though, I'm still a little miffed that they built a Giga and the rest of the track hardly goes higher than 100 feet. It defeats the purpose of building a really tall coaster. The whole point is to have the sensations of speed an height that can't be matched by shorter coasters. They could have built this same layout with a 95 mph launch and probably saved at least a couple million.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
madhjsp said:
Well it's obvious now that KD was working with limited space here, based on the layout.
I've got mixed feelings on this one. My first thought was "A 300 foot drop into a turn... lame." I definitely had hopes for some kind of huge airtime monster, doing what Millennium Force doesn't. But after watching the video a couple times and getting over the initial letdown, I actually think this is going to be a very fun ride.
A couple of those hill look like they'll have good airtime and navigating those turns at high speed will be fun, a bit like Maverick. And with no MCBR, it keeps the speed up pretty much throughout, which I think is one of MF's best features.

Honestly though, I'm still a little miffed that they built a Giga and the rest of the track hardly goes higher than 100 feet. It defeats the purpose of building a really tall coaster. The whole point is to have the sensations of speed an height that can't be matched by shorter coasters. They could have built this same layout with a 95 mph launch and probably saved at least a couple million.

I beg to differ, launch systems cost millions them selves. See TTD. $25 million 2800' of track. And this was in 2003. Imagine how much it would have cost today...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's so ridiculous how so many people automatically think the ride sucks just because it has over the shoulder restraints. Who cares? Look how good Maverick is, and it has the same restraints. The only reason they use them on their coasters is because of the brakes. Ok, you may hit your head in a turn. You should've been ready for the turn and braced yourself.

Also, the same people are saying that the ride will have no airtime. I can take 8 screenshots showing where the airtime will be on the ride. I'm sorry that it won't be insane El Toro rip your head off ejector, but it's not going to be those silly MilF bullocks. That's a damn fact.

I think this will be better than MilF. It doesn't look like a top 10 ride, but it's a quality ride that looks very fun. It reminds me of a mega-lite on steroids, and that's awesome. That first turn is going to leave me seeing black spots.

Ali

Mega Poster
rollerdude said:
You should've been ready for the turn and braced yourself.

You shouldn't have to watch a pov of the ride before hand, learn where the turns are and then have to brace yourself when apporaching the turns, to enjoy a coaster.

Comet

Roller Poster
I don't get why they would say "but no over the shoulder harness" if there was one. If it's a marketing technique it's kind of stupid considering you can see what the train looks like right next to that statement.

Anyway, I have to hope that there won't be any OTSR. I think the drop will still be amazing and have good ejector air and at that height it will be pretty thrilling. But the rest of the ride looks like it would be painful as hell just basing it off Storm Runners transitions with those restraints.

Even with OTSR we're at least looking at an El Toro-esque drop but even taller, so that's good.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
Maybe they just didnt have time to render the new restraints. It was probably easier just to shove this render out. The press release at the park says "no over the shoulder restraints" for the millionth time.

Yeah! Hey! Lets just not talk about how we feel about something and sit around with our thumbs up our asses!

YAY!

I just meant that personally I don't give a crap what the ride looks like, as long as it rides good. Never said he couldn't give his opinion :p .

Settle down! :p

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Ali said:
rollerdude said:
You should've been ready for the turn and braced yourself.

You shouldn't have to watch a pov of the ride before hand, learn where the turns are and then have to brace yourself when apporaching the turns, to enjoy a coaster.

That's not what I'm saying. While riding, you should be able to see the track ahead and be able to think; "Oh, there's a sharp transition coming." I don't know about a lot of people here, but in that situation, I wouldn't let any ride throw me around. Either that, or hold onto the restraints up near your head for more support.

I'm guessing that everybody was expecting an Intamin version of Steel Dragon 2000 with El Toro airtime and a vertical drop with a helix thrown in there, and now they're all whining because they didn't get it.

marc

CF Legend
Finally got to watch the POV.

Its just a big Megalite, for a 305ft coaster it does not seem to do that much :(

Status
Not open for further replies.