What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali

Mega Poster
Damn, OTSR! :(
Looks alot more twisty than Millie, could be interesting. But those OTSR are a huge bummer :(.

^Grrr she beat me too it. :x

AdamJ

Roller Poster
KD13.jpg

Layout!

Edit: dumped it inside img tags

Hmmm, it looks better than Millennium Force I think, but we'll have to see. I can't say much for it right now, though I should be riding it next year, and I'm pretty excited for that :p .

Snoo

The Legend
That.. will.. I dunno.

Let us pray it is better then MF.. because those transitions with OTSR's won't be nice.. especially in the latter rows.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
OTSR just killed the ride :(

It'll still be fun I think, but instead of being "brilliant" it will be "would have been brilliant with lap bars".

I hatehatehate Intamin OTSR.

Looks lovely other than that :)

^ Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I just saw the POV.. I don't get where they say there are six airtime hills, unless they mean the sideways turns that kinda go up and down a bit.

I dunno how I feel about it, so I'll just have to ride it and see. It doesn't look like a top tenner at this moment though.

OTSR just killed the ride

It'll still be fun I think, but instead of being "brilliant" it will be "would have been brilliant with lap bars".

I hatehatehate Intamin OTSR.

Looks lovely other than that

I don't mind Intamin OTSR actually, probably because I sit lower than the top of tthe restraint, but they definitely hurt my ears on the turns on Maverick, and there are quite a few of those turns on this so, we'll see.

They shoulda just kept it with lapbars.. Millie's drop with lapbars= badass.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I think it actually looks really good, there may not be 100ft airtime hills, but there are low to the ground hops that I reckon will deliver some pretty high airtime.

Snoo

The Legend
Fastest Speed: Excess of 90 MPH
Ride Time: 3 minutes
Hourly Capacity:: 1,350 riders
Number of Trains: Two
Vehicles: Four passenger open design trains with overhead lap bars but no over-the-shoulder harnesses

Hmm.. anyone notice that last part?

Overhead lapbars = Pilgrims Plunge
OTSR = Kingda Ka

6-Pilgrims-Plunge.jpg

HWPP1.jpg

MAJOR difference.. if that is indeed the case. From experience, the lapbars on PP were quite comfy and gave a great ride.

Dave

CF Legend
It looks interesting, a Mega-Lite style drop into a turn is funky as it works well! But can see this getting the bad case of the Intamin shakes...

STC

Mega Poster
But Snoo, on the pictures on the site it clearly shows OSTR's?

KD09.jpg

Maybe it was limitations of whatever software they used, NoLimits? Anyway Intamin seriously need to get over their fear of lapbars. Time for them to admit their mistakes in the past, and finally have the guts to start doing them again, or B&M will overtake them in the "airtime monster" market.

Well technically it IS an over the shoulder lap bar because there is a lap bar attached to the over the shoulder restraint. It's probably just a marketing thing to make it sound better.

Sadly I do think this will have the OTSRs.

Dave

CF Legend
^
No it will have OTSR because all the pictures have it on, KD wouldn't go around showing a different restraint style.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... I like this, actually. Too bad it's smaller than Millennium Force, and contains even fewer hills, but oh well. It looks like it will be strong in the Positive G departement. Also, I think the snappy turns were the reason for OTSRs, not airtime this time.

Indeed, the new Intamin track seems stronger than the old. Just look at the amount of supports on the first half, especially the hill. The lift supports are iconic as well, they sure look awesome. And should be cheaper than Millennium Force's huge towers. Hopefully, this Giga is way more cost efficent than the other two (Beating SD2K shouldn't be too hard, though), perhaps making more parks buy this monster breed of Roller Coaster.

Also, look at the offride video as it flies past the station near the end. The climb up the hill, and the transition into it, is incredibly steep. Not entirely 90*, but far steeper than any multi-carriage coaster I've seen before.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
Ughhh. I go from one site to another and there is still flaming...y;all are the most unhappy bunch of enthusiasts. I thought an enthusiast was someone who got excited about what ever their hobby is. Sigh. I think it's awesome. Im going to have a Giga at my homepark. Chea!

Status
Not open for further replies.