What's new

How did you get your top ten?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
There are a few different circumstances under which we visit parks, but which of these circumstances have lead to you getting an addition to that wonderful layer at the top of your coaster count? I'd group the main ways I've gotten mine into...

LOCAL- This credit is in your region and can be obtained in a day trip.
PARK TRIP- This coaster was obtained at a park that was the sole purpose of a full trip. You might have swung by and done another dump with crap creds that had no chance of doing well in your rankings, but the whole idea of the trip was this park and this park only.
CRED RUN- This was done at a park in a chain of multiple parks on the same trip. You did multiple major parks that were all similar and quality and multiple contributions might have been made to your top ten.

For extra fun, say which credit runs, destination parks, and local parks contributed how many coasters!

For me...
5 CRED RUN (4 #NE2k16, 1 #Penn2015)
3 PARK TRIP (1 Silver Dollar City, 1 Carowinds, 1 Busch Gardens Tampa)
2 LOCAL (1 Kentucky Kingdom, 1 Holiday World)

Post away! Interested to see how this changes from enthusiast to enthusiast!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
2 Local(Goliath and Viper, both SFGAm)
3* Park Trip(Voyage, Outlaw Run, and Lightning Run)
5 Cred Run(Skyrush, Maverick, Superman: Ride of Steel, and Dragster all from my 2014 trip, and Thunderhead from my 2015 Disney trip(plus a few other parks))

*- All coasters here were part of trips that included 2 parks, but b/c they're the only 2 parks, they really aren't considered a cred run. Not to mention, HW and KK weren't the point of the trip that included them.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I got my top ten by carefully planning (or relying on others to) trips to clusters of parks where there is a lot of creds and a smattering of decent ones.

I don't think I've ever got a Top 10 cred on a cred run. Cred runs tend to be ticking off smaller creds which I ride once for the +1. Although a coaster can blow me away on my first ride, I don't think you can properly judge a coaster until you've done in multiple times in different seats.

So, using the categories Jarrett outlined, I class my entire top 10 as "park trip".

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'll second Ian on the cred run. I don't think spending a full day in a park on a multi-park trip can really be called a cred run. My top 10:
1. X2 (went to SFMM on the last day of a 10-day trip to Cali. I didn't do any other major parks in the area, so I guess that doesn't exactly fall under any of the categories you've listed?)
2. Shambhala (similar to above, mostly a week long family trip with a couple of days to hit the both parks in the area - PortAventura and Tibidabo)
3. Goliath, WH (last day on a short semi coaster trip - I guess that counts as a cred run, although I've spent the whole day there)
4. Katun (been there on a few park trips and a also a day trip with school)
5. Black Mamba (ridden it on a multi park trip and then a non park trip later the same year)
6. Nemesis (similar to Shambhala, a week long trip to the area with a couple of days for some parks)
7. iSpeed (watch Katun)
8. Tatsu (watch X2)
9. Blue Fire (mostly a park trip that was then extended to a whole week of a family trip)
10. Troy (the same multi park trip as Black Mamba, although hardly a cred run, since I've spent 7 hours in the park and got 15 rides on the coaster)

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Ian said:
I got my top ten by carefully planning (or relying on others to) trips to clusters of parks where there is a lot of creds and a smattering of decent ones.

I don't think I've ever got a Top 10 cred on a cred run. Cred runs tend to be ticking off smaller creds which I ride once for the +1. Although a coaster can blow me away on my first ride, I don't think you can properly judge a coaster until you've done in multiple times in different seats.

So, using the categories Jarrett outlined, I class my entire top 10 as "park trip".

This.

Everyone of my top coasters, besides RFII, actually came on a trip with a CFer in some way, shape, or form. RFII came from Waldameer being 30 minutes from my house and even then, I went with my friend and stayed most of the day.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
Ian said:

This.

Everyone of my top coasters, besides RFII, actually came on a trip with a CFer in some way, shape, or form. RFII came from Waldameer being 30 minutes from my house and even then, I went with my friend and stayed most of the day.

Ya, I'll third this. I sometimes go specifically to parks, and that is the whole trip mainly (Outlaw Run, MF/Maverick, Beast, Kumba, Goliath SFOG). However, I also go to parks because I am on a trip with my family or friends, and the parks are near there. For instance, for Lightning Rod and Fury, I was in NC for my cousins graduations, so they were both day trips. As for Shambhala, we were in Europe mainly for culture and took a day to visit a park from Barcelona. El Toro was a quick trip from Philly. I rarely get to do a cred run or a local trip since my nearest coaster in any form is 3 hours away.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Sort of have to agree with Ian and the majority there. I've never even been on a cred hunt before!

I think local & park trips can sort of merge into one for me, as I do have a few local parks but I don't really take them for granted. I will properly plan trips there with different friends. Usually nowadays I'll take friends to my local (BPB) as a sort of rite of passage to see if they can get into this coaster riding goonery so that I have more people to travel away with when it comes to bigger trips :p

jj23w

Hyper Poster
So basically how I got my top 10 is I went on trips to theme parks. Hope that clears up how I got my top 10 for you.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Should probably clarify this:

By cred run, I mean a trip based upon the idea of spending the appropriate amount of time at a number of spots in the region. I do one a year, it's kind of the highlight of my season. Take my Vegas-LA trip in 2014, we just popped in and rode Manhattan Express and did that in like fifteen minutes. Later on the trip we spent a whole day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Same with my most recent one in New England. We spent full days at both SFGAdv and SFNE, about an afternoon at Compounce, and just kind of popped into Quassy for a few rides on Warrior and to snag the kiddie cred. Ian, your trip with Darren and Jerry in 2014 would definitely fall under what I'm talking about.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah, that's how I read your first post, but then all these people talking about not having done "cred runs" who I know definitely have (by your definition) was confusing me.

I think typically the term "cred run" is used to mean picking up smaller +1 coasters at smaller parks etc, rather than a "large park trip" picking up 5+ parks in one go.

Just my observations.

Plus, you need to do a proper coaster trip in the USA - two or three parks doesn't count. ;)

Anyway, my top ten is a bit of a mix at the moment. I've not really sorted it out properly in a while and I think it's probably not quite right. But here's my top five, which I'm pretty sure is right.

1. Lightning Rod, Dollywood: During the 2016 USA Live. We hit up Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Dollywood and Carowinds. I then went on to do Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Hersheypark in the same trip.

2. Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce: During the 2010 USA Live. This was possibly one of the biggest USA Lives we ever ran - and gave me quite a few of my top ten. I'll post the parks here, as it'll make Jarrett jealous. :lol: We did (italics wasn't part of the official Live): Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park, Knoebels, Kings Island, Worlds of Fun, Silver Dollar City, Six Flags St Louis, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point, Kennywood, Waldameer, Lakemont Park, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, Playland Park, Astroland, Luna Park and Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park.

3. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain: During a single park trip while visiting San Francsisco and Los Angeles back in 2013.

4. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City: During an 'unofficial' USA Live in 2013 - with the intention to ride all three of the RMCs (at the time). We did: Six Flags St Louis, Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Pier.

5. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure: See #2.

Most of the rest of my current top ten (or twenty even) was either on those trips, family holidays (with the exception of Florida, these aren't ever too heavy) or single park trips.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Apart from Nemesis, which is at my home park, pretty much all of my top 10 is by design - I tend to go to specific parks in order to pick up potential top-10 worthy coasters. I don't really do 'cred runs'. My mission as a goon is to continuously keep rewriting my top 10, not to get as many creds as possible.
Let's be frank, gooning is an expensive and time consuming hobby. When you don't have the time or money to go everywhere, you have to be a bit more selective about where you do go, and not waste valuable goon time on tin-pot parks with crappy creds.

Occasionally though, the ride that ends up making your top 10 is not the one you expect. For example, I thought Leviathan would be top 10 material all day long, but as it turned out, Behemoth shat all over it.
Same with I305, I was actually hoping for a new number 1 there, but it just didn't cut it. Instead, Volcano made a (brief) entry into the Howie hall of fame. But I guess they would still come under 'park trips'.

Snoo

The Legend
Hixee said:
^Yeah, that's how I read your first post, but then all these people talking about not having done "cred runs" who I know definitely have (by your definition) was confusing me.

I think typically the term "cred run" is used to mean picking up smaller +1 coasters at smaller parks etc, rather than a "large park trip" picking up 5+ parks in one go.

Just my observations.

Plus, you need to do a proper coaster trip in the USA - two or three parks doesn't count. ;)

Anyway, my top ten is a bit of a mix at the moment. I've not really sorted it out properly in a while and I think it's probably not quite right. But here's my top five, which I'm pretty sure is right.

1. Lightning Rod, Dollywood: During the 2016 USA Live. We hit up Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Dollywood and Carowinds. I then went on to do Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Hersheypark in the same trip.

2. Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce: During the 2010 USA Live. This was possibly one of the biggest USA Lives we ever ran - and gave me quite a few of my top ten. I'll post the parks here, as it'll make Jarrett jealous. :lol: We did (italics wasn't part of the official Live): Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park, Knoebels, Kings Island, Worlds of Fun, Silver Dollar City, Six Flags St Louis, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point, Kennywood, Waldameer, Lakemont Park, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, Playland Park, Astroland, Luna Park and Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park.

3. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain: During a single park trip while visiting San Francsisco and Los Angeles back in 2013.

4. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City: During an 'unofficial' USA Live in 2013 - with the intention to ride all three of the RMCs (at the time). We did: Six Flags St Louis, Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Pier.

5. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure: See #2.

Most of the rest of my current top ten (or twenty even) was either on those trips, family holidays (with the exception of Florida, these aren't ever too heavy) or single park trips.

Glad to see several of your favorite rides came with me. :D

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I get what Jarrett is trying to convey, so by his reasoning;

1 -Skyrush - CRED RUN - Part of the 2013 Honeymoon trip where we did Hersheypark, Cedar Point, Busch Gardens Tampa, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Florida, Seaworld and Fun Spot America.

2 - El Toro - CRED RUN - Part of the 2015 east coast trip where I did Dorney, Knoebels, Hersheypark, Quassy, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce and Six Flags Great Adventure.

3 - Helix - PARK TRIP - Bjorn this Way CF Live and Liseberg/Helix was the main park but we also did Skara and Grona Lund.

4 - Wildfire - PARK TRIP - Flew to Kolmarden for a day trip on it's 2nd day of operation so is the essence of Park Trip.

5 - Wicked Cyclone - Same as 2. CRED RUN

6 - Boulder Dash - Same as 2. CRED RUN

7 - Phoenix - Same as 2. CRED RUN

8 - Expedition GeForce - PARK TRIP - Away for work in 2014 made the effort to drive up to Holiday Park, also did Europa Park at the same time but that was a repeat visit with just 1 new cred.

9 - Nitro - Same as 2. CRED RUN

10 - Colossos - PARK TRIP - Trip away with some of the guys on here in May 2014, Heide was the focus with the local Safari park a cred run.

4 Park Trips
6 Cred Runs
0 Local as everything in England is poo apart from Nemesis

AshleyScared

Roller Poster
2 local (i305 and Dominator), 1 park trip (Afterburn), 7 credit run (Wicked Cyclone, Superman: The Ride, Nitro, El Toro, Dare Devil Dive, Goliath and Superman: Ultimate Flight)

witchfinder

Giga Poster
2 Local (Nemesis and Rita) and the other 8 are from Park Trips (3 PortAventura, 2 Phantasialand, 2 Thorpe Park and 1 Blackpool Pleasure Beach)

UK cred runs are unlikely to feature any coasters that would make a top ten! :)