What's new

How crowded do you like an amusement park?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I can't enjoy a park if the queues are less than 2 hours!!

seriously - is anyone going to answer e??

so - b or c, I don't mind 30 odd minutes for the major attractions, but <10 mins is better!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Good topic, this.
The obvious answer is A, and almost instinctively I started to write about how I love having a whole park to myself... but then I thought about it a bit, and I'm not sure it's true.
As @Sandman said, me and him had free run of Toverland last season, and if it wasn't for the fact that Troy didn't open til lunchtime we would have smashed the whole park in an hour, including rerides. Now as good as that sounds, I gotta say as a park experience, it did feel kinda... what's the word? Kinda... 'flat'. We had a whole day to kill, what were we gonna do for the rest of the afternoon? As it turned out, on that occasion the answer was to find the nearest coffeeshop and get battered, but that's not the point. The point is it would have been quite nice to have to wait 1 or 2 trains for the coasters, instead of just strolling up and picking a seat. In fact, it would have been nice to have seen at least one other guest in the park!

To cut a long story short; B.

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
B. I like having a lively park, but too many people can start making the queue times go up, and I really prefer short lines and walk-ons. A perfect example I can think of is last year at Great Escape. There was a healthy crowd of people around, but just enough so the longest wait was at most 5 minutes. That right there is perfection if you ask me.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
seriously - is anyone going to answer e??!
It’s pretty unlikely for a coaster enthusiast, because when we’re at a park we have serious business to attend to. :p

But I have heard general park enthusiasts say they love it when it’s really packed. There are a lot of people who correlate crowds with atmosphere in direct proportion.

mouse

Giga Poster
B or C. I don't enjoy an empty park, the atmosphere counts as a major part of the overall experience. I like for there to be plenty of excitement and activity going on, but not so busy that getting around becomes difficult or queues get too long. I don't mind short to medium queue lines though; the anticipation before riding is all part of the fun!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Visited DLP last week and that was the perfect crowd level for me. The main coasters averaged 40-60mins which isn't too bad for disney. You could walk around the castle/wait on a bench for your partner to take selfies in front of said castle without the heaving crowds.

It depends on the park tbf. Europa Park can be heaving but the queues move so fast you can get enough rides in and enjoy the atmosphere.

Merlin parks are just terrible when it's crowded mainly due to the over-selling of fast track.

Theme Park Plan

Roller Poster
B mostly but also C. A dead park is horrible and a busy one is also frustrating.

Has anyone seen the recent google maps of Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom. Too many people and would affect my day.