What's new

Homosexuality and Races, your thoughts?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Well, after I keep looking at the topic of Sexuality: Genetic or Choice, I decided to make an appropriate topic to discuss these 2 things.

I have a strong opinion on homosexuals and races. I'm not homophobic or racist at all, but I kind of pick up on the fact that all races have the privilege to proudly express themselves while, as a caucasian I find myself tip-toeing around every other race incase my opinions are deemed 'racist'. Yes, I know all about the slave trade, and yes wasn't that in the past?
But still, the newer generations still have to bring it up in a bid for sympathy and pity. These days you can see an African/American present themselves as 'Black and Proud', but as a white person you can't say that sort of thing again, it's too loosely rounded off as racism.

Whats your opinion on this?

(I was going to discuss some topics on homosexuality but I figured I'd already overdone this post.)

Ben

CF Legend
I don't necessarily agree with the whole "pride" practice, but you have to remember these are two groups that are still minorities (though, just in terms of Race), and are still discriminated against no matter how much we pretend they aren't. Then to have the ability to be "proud" of who you are in the face of this discrimination, yeah, I see where they're coming from. And then seeing that can give strength to those who are younger to be able to accept who they are in themselves, and then be proud of it.

Or something like that.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
you have to remember these are two groups that are still minorities (though, just in terms of Race), and are still discriminated against no matter how much we pretend they aren't.

I understand where you're coming from there, however I find a lot of people (of a different race) act differently around me, due to the fact we are not of the same race (making them cautious about my beliefs). It seems though that if you say anything on the topic of race, they are sensitive enough to believe it's racism.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've never really understood the concept of being proud of something you haven't achieved.

The whole "I'm proud to be black/white/hispanic/asian/gay/straight/whatever" seems ridiculous to me. How can you be proud of something that just happened?

It's like saying, "I'm proud I have ten toes."

Don't get me started on those "hero" kids, who just happen to get cancer, either...

marc

CF Legend
I am just me, I dont need to be proud infact I would rather live my life without strangers even noticing me.

My friends know me and thats the main thing.

By people walking round saying I am proud to be this or that are just asking for trouble and thats why they get it.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I don't give a sh*t. If your black your black, if your white your white, if your gay your gay. I don't judge people, I like or dislike them for who they are.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I think gay people should be allowed at the Olympics...

In serious, I judge people on how they act, not on who they are...
I do like everyone get some presumptions based upon colour, (especially in Croydon)...

It annoys me the lack of equality though on some things being able to be said on one side but not the other... Hypocrisy runs hard in today's well...

Snoo

The Legend
I'll comment on this eventually.. but being a minority, I don't want to cause problems just yet.. because I do have strong feelings about this..

..Ben and UC have said it best so far though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When you meet or see a photo of somebody you think of the first thing that comes to your mind.

"Oh she's fit!"

"He's got a big nose!"

"What a fat bastard!"

"Bald twat!"

"He's black!"

"He looks a bit effeminate!"

Everybody is guilty of it. I know I am.

Thing is, in my area non-whites (I'm talking Asian, Africans, Arabs etc) make up just 1% of the population therefore it's rare that I see such a person. When I do see somebody non-white, it triggers in my head. Just like if I'm walking down town and I see a bit of totty with big boobs; it's not something i see everyday so it enters my head.

I don't think that makes me racist or boobist. It makes me human.

I actually despise anything that shouts out "here we are, look at us because we're in a minority."

I remember last year when West Ham (I think) got through to the FA Cup Final and I was sitting in Warwick Services. There were loads of West Ham supporters in the services, all singing and chanting, basically making a big point of supporting their club. I thought they were all twats but hey, who am I to complain? I don't know anything about football or the culture so I'm bound to dislike it and find it a nuisance.

If people want to to be proud of their lifestyle, culture, background or attitude can they please keep the noise down? I just want to get on with my life enjoying people and places for what they are without it being rubbed in my face. Unless they are big boobs.

Thanks.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I have nothing against homosexuals who like to race. Hell, Marcus is a great friend of mine.
What, did I misunderstand something?

the_missus

Mega Poster
We should all be proud of who we are, because we are all unique beings.
People shouldn't be shouting about how proud they are of being black/white/gay/straight etc, we should just be proud of who we are. Our race, gender, sexuality etc just makes up a fraction of who we are, we are much more complex than that....or we should be. I knew a guy who made everyone aware of the fact that he was gay and acted so camp everywhere he went, he even went by the name of 'Camp Sam'...which just annoyed the hell outta me...and to make matters worse when you got him on his own, he wasnt that camp...it was just all an act. To me he gives gay people a bad reputation...actually just make that people in general.

I don't agree with people who use their race/gender/sezuality etc to get ahead in life....don't get me wrong I believe everyone has the right to be treated as an equal, because we are all equals, there is no-one who is better than someone else based on these factors.

Sorry I appear to have gone off on a complete tangent!! :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
Beat you to it, with a more subtle sentence ;)
No need to be subtle when it comes to Marcus. It'll get you nowhere...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Everyone is individual, and everyone is different. Does it really matter if you are black/white/asian/gay/straight/bi (thats just greedy) or no sexual preferance at all (like my friend Oliver)?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting one...

For most minorities, they've spent many years (hundreds even) suppressed by the majorities. As such, many feel that they must make it known they are now allowed a voice; that they are no longer mistreated and derided; that they are allowed to be who they are.

You can understand it, and we certainly shouldn't forget the horror of the slave trade/industry. The problem is, it's all hurt in recent memory.

If somebody makes a joke about me having a big nose, I just take it, or retort back light heartedly. I can't change it, and it's just a joke. Likewise if people have a go at my scouse origins, I just admit I'm a dirty thieving git ;)

It's not hurtful to me, as nobody I know has ever been beaten, killed or enslaved because of their big nose or scouserness - well, not en masse. The people who tend to take pride in who they are CAN relate to violence against them, and see any slur as a step back towards that direction.

So I understand it, but I think it's a real shame that we need to feel like we should wrap people in cotton wool. Sadly, there are many people out there who still harbour a great deal of hatred towards other races and sexualities - so until the hatred goes, and just lighthearted banter remains, I guess pussyfooting around is the only way we can really deal with it.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
When you meet or see a photo of somebody you think of the first thing that comes to your mind.

"Oh she's fit!"

"He's got a big nose!"

"What a fat bastard!"

"Bald twat!"

"He's black!"

"He looks a bit effeminate!"

Everybody is guilty of it. I know I am.

Thing is, in my area non-whites (I'm talking Asian, Africans, Arabs etc) make up just 1% of the population therefore it's rare that I see such a person. When I do see somebody non-white, it triggers in my head. Just like if I'm walking down town and I see a bit of totty with big boobs; it's not something i see everyday so it enters my head.

I don't think that makes me racist or boobist. It makes me human.

I actually despise anything that shouts out "here we are, look at us because we're in a minority."

I remember last year when West Ham (I think) got through to the FA Cup Final and I was sitting in Warwick Services. There were loads of West Ham supporters in the services, all singing and chanting, basically making a big point of supporting their club. I thought they were all twats but hey, who am I to complain? I don't know anything about football or the culture so I'm bound to dislike it and find it a nuisance.

If people want to to be proud of their lifestyle, culture, background or attitude can they please keep the noise down? I just want to get on with my life enjoying people and places for what they are without it being rubbed in my face. Unless they are big boobs.

Thanks.

That's true. You just have too look at a photo of me and you think TWAT!