Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I want this. Right now. Damn waiting until next season. :lol:

reddude333

Giga Poster
Trying to discount Outlaw Run with that first wood coaster to invert comment. Also the comment about "no steel topper" I get that he probably means nothing thick like on the hybrids (NTG and Iron Rattler) but there is obviously some steel topper, as that is how wooden coasters work; they aren't just wheel on wood. Not to be overly nit-picky or to re-start the conversation about wood vs. hybrid vs. steel but it seems like it's worth mentioning. And I know the release dates are very close/it is a marketing ploy to say that it is the "first".

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
reddude333 said:
Trying to discount Outlaw Run with that first wood coaster to invert comment. Also the comment about "no steel topper" I get that he probably means nothing thick like on the hybrids (NTG and Iron Rattler) but there is obviously some steel topper, as that is how wooden coasters work; they aren't just wheel on wood. Not to be overly nit-picky or to re-start the conversation about wood vs. hybrid vs. steel but it seems like it's worth mentioning. And I know the release dates are very close/it is a marketing ploy to say that it is the "first".
Except steel topper track is different to normal wood track. I'm sure UC explained it in a post somewhere, I can't quite remember the difference, but they aren't the same. I'll see if I can dig up his post.

Thing I don't understand, is why anyone cares about it inverting? I swear no-one really does... not that I've met at least.

The reason we're excited for these new wood coasters that invert (looking at Outlaw Run here) is they're **** mental.

EDIT: Found it. Yeah, topper track is essentially just the same as a wooden track. It's just a slightly different (and I'm guessing more durable) way of doing things. Not the post I was thinking of, but explains it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34199&p=812571&hilit=topper#p812571

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Haha! Yeah, I know. And sorry, meant to say there is the thin steel layer. I've seen the posts explaining the differences etc. Guess I was just being unnecessarily nit-picky.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yup. The upshot of the wood vs. steel discussion was that all wooden coasters use steel on top of a laminated wooden strips. The new Rocky Mountain wooden design uses a larger piece of steel, which allows for a smoother ride and wilder elements, such as inversions.

If Gravity Group is indeed using regular, run of the mill wooden track for the inversion, we can say that Hades will be more traditional than Outlaw Run's thicker steel track. Regardless, at that point you are splitting hairs, and really missing the accomplishment of engineering.

Begin the countdown of "Which wooden coaster inversion is better?" thread. :wink:

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I heard that Hades had roughened up quite a bit due to what boils down to limited resources of Olympus. With an inversion like this, maintenance becomes a little more important in terms of comfortability. Hopefully GG can keep it smooth and refurb any currently rough parts of the track.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Shhhhh, don't talk about the realistic limits of wooden track yet. Let us continue basking in the glory of this inversion.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Just to reiterate, topper track and regular wooden track function the same way, topper track just has a little bit more steel.

bmac

Giga Poster
Oh look, more of these coaster designers are taking that wonderful form of acid that makes them totally **** mental. I like it :D

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
ECG said:
but will the coaster still have enough speed to make it back up into the station after going through the inversion?
No, because manufacturers don't calculate anything these days. They just eye-ball it and see if it works. :p

I hope this works for Gravity Group. After the stress issues of the early days, I really want to see them succeed as another option to Rocky Mountain's version.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^With that, I meant to inquire if other modifications will need to be made or can they simply replace a hill with an inversion without it affecting the speed needed to ensure that it can make it back up to the station.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yes and no is the answer. In theory, provided the path the centre of mass of the train (note, not the heartline) takes doesn't change, then it shouldn't lose much energy at all. However in practice they will have needed to reconsider the layout of the ride afterwards to ensure it will still make it round the circuit.

My guess is that they'll be lowering the hill, as energy will be absorbed by the track/train when it's flung through an inversion like that, so it's bound to lose a bit of speed. If they make the hill smaller, then that'll counteract that. How much smaller? I wouldn't even like to begin the analysis of that... ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Am I the only person that watched the video interview? Did he not say that they're taking down the entire section the other side of the tunnel and rebuilding the whole lot? Or did I dream that?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Makes sense really, as there little promo video shows that whole section is different. Not that there is much to it really.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Yeah, half of that (the hill) will be the new inversion, and the other half (the turn) will have to be replaced to match the inversion better and increase the banking (which was just an added bit of fun I guess), so it all makes sense to me.

Nic

Strata Poster
Taxi said:
Is there an official press release anywhere?
https://www.facebook.com/notes/mount-ol ... 4223660627

HADES 360
Coming in 2013!

World’s First upside down wooden rollercoaster!

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park announces plans to unveil its newest addition and structural landmark as the famous underground wooden coaster Hades will transform to become the world first all wooden rollercoaster with an upside down roll coming spring 2013.

Hades 360 will be a unique technological marvel integrating the underground uniqueness of Hades and adding a 360 degree upside down loop and a 135 degree over-banked turn. Plus Hades 360 will also be equipped with a new state of the art rollercoaster train, giving riders the feel of riding on a steel coaster. Utilizing this state-of-the-art train by Gravity Group, Hades 360 will be the world’s longest underground and have world’s only upside down roll on an all wooden rollercoaster. Hades 360 will be the first to deliver an awe-inspiring wooden coaster thrill all while in the vast world of Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park.

With its unique construction, Hades 360 will have:
• The World’s First completely upside down roll on an all wooden coaster
• The World’s longest underground track measuring 800 feet underground
• A 90 degree turn underground in complete darkness
• A 135 degree over-banked turn
• A staggering drop of 140 feet with an amazing drop angle of 65 degrees
• Total length of 4,725 feet
• A 160 foot incline to the top drop
• A blazing top speed of 70 mph

Hades 360 will be a force to be reckoned with and a unique technological marvel, taking the classic wooden support structure and technically integrating an upside down roll into the existing track. The upgrade to Hades 360 will be engineered and constructed by Gravity Group, the same group that designed the original Hades. The Hades 360 transformation will exceed far beyond any mortal’s expectations. This innovation is so new in the amusement industry, it has never been done before.