What's new

Grona Lund | StarFlyer

Martyn B

CF Legend
Not confirmed, but apparently Grona Lund are installing a StarFlyer for next year, replacing the Topscan they have removed.

16185101510994262906671.png

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Re: Grona Lund 2013 - StarFlyer?

There are a lot of upset people on the park's facebook for the removal of the Topscan.
I can't seriously believe that the park don't delete some of the comments, people of that age should not be using those words, and the park should not have them on their page.

On the Star Flyer, when it was announced as part of the expansion plans back in 08-09 they said they would make it the tallest in the world, witch at the time would be 100m. The expansion got cancelled and the Star Flyer is now being built inside the original park, so it will be interesting to see how tall it will be, seeing as taking the record might not be possible anymore.

bmac

Giga Poster

_koppen said:
There are a lot of upset people on the park's facebook for the removal of the Topscan.
I can't seriously believe that the park don't delete some of the comments, people of that age should not be using those words, and the park should not have them on their page.

You should've seen Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Facebook before they finally started blocking people a few months ago. It was much worse than Tivoli's predicament, atm.

On the Star Flyer, when it was announced as part of the expansion plans back in 08-09 they said they would make it the tallest in the world, witch at the time would be 100m. The expansion got cancelled and the Star Flyer is now being built inside the original park, so it will be interesting to see how tall it will be, seeing as taking the record might not be possible anymore.

Spot on, although I'm also not sure exactly how tall it will be.

Lofty

CF Legend

Ugh, getting ride of a Topscan to add a **** StarFlyer? How disgusting.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

^Seeing what that thing is just looks amazing. Star Flyers? Not so much by comparison.
Are they taking out the Topscan due to maintenance and cost issues?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Plus they've already got a massive drop tower (tallest in Europe at some point I think), and I seem to remember an S&S shot tower as well? Yeah, they're different rides, but does Gronalund really need another huge tower squeezed into that tiny park.

It's a shame really; they're so creative with their coasters given the space they have. It's too bad they're not as creative with their flats.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

IntaminToWin said:
Are they taking out the Topscan due to maintenance and cost issues?

No, it has to go in order to fit this in.

There might be a slight chance that the Topscan gets moved to Skara Sommarland or Furuvik, witch are also owned by the same concern, but I kind of doubt that myself. Hopefully it's true tough.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

^Judging by the amount of comments on the park's FB page, it'd say yes...

Shame really, park top scans are hard to find and that one looked really cool in front of the stage and with so many coasters around...

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster

It will be exciting to see what will happen, however it is still a great pity to see the top scan go, seeing as it was in my opinion the best flat ride in the park (and by quite far, despite Fritt Fall). Oh well, with a lot of luck they will as suggested above move it to Skara Sommarland or Furuvik, which in the first case would be much closer. We'll see.

andrus

Giga Poster

_koppen said:
I can understand them. The topscan was a great ride, a star flyer is not..

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster

These things sure are popping up everywhere. What's with the sudden Starflyer boom anyway?

The FB hate is reasonable since Top Scans are brilliant. I know I'd be fuming if Thorpe or LWV got rid of theirs.

Lofty

CF Legend

The only thing I can think of is that they're; A) Cheaper than other flat rides. B) Offer a "thrill" to a larger proportion of the audience that visits parks?

That's all I can think of? But, still, StarFlyer's are **** ****.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
The only thing I can think of is that they're; A) Cheaper than other flat rides. B) Offer a "thrill" to a larger proportion of the audience that visits parks?

That's all I can think of? But, still, StarFlyer's are **** ****.

It has to be B, because they cost around 2€ million for the 80 meter model, that's about the same as a Zamperla Giant Discovery, witch are the biggest flat available.

I think that they are so popular because of their height.
They add to the parks skyline, and looks very intimidating, while still being for the whole family.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Ummm...not sure if I should drop this here, but apparently Gröna Lund is getting a Vekoma family boomerang for next season.

Would that (minus theme) fit in that spot?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Not even close.

Here's the area.
The big "square" in front of the main stage, between Kvasten and Vilda Musen can not be touched, as it's needed for the big concerts. Actually most of the open area is needed for those concerts.
561592_10151048343430667_1634555557_n.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster

Ah. That gives a better show of the area.

Well then, in other news, where will the Ben-10 clone go?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Trust me, there is no way they can fit a Junior Boomerang in the park.
The space is even getting tight for custom made coasters to be fit in the park.

I would guess it's a concept they thought of for the upcoming parking lot park.
boomerang_4.jpg

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Could they not fit in a vekoma junior boomerang?

dry_b10.jpg

Considering just how compact these VJBs can be, it undoubtedly fits adequately, and for the benefits to the park, who'll lament the loss of a topscan?

Anyway, forget the skyflyer, forget the topscan (RIP):

http://rcdb.com/11255.htm :wink:

As much as the skyfler would profoundly impact the skyline...this'll be better.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Considering just how compact these VJBs can be, it undoubtedly fits adequately

How much space does a family boomerang take up? How much space will the removal of a topscan free up? How long have you been a Swedish park planner?