What's new

Goodbye Superbowl (PBB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
^Yes it's nice the park is getting fountains and grass to make it look more pleasant. But you don't go and make that the ONLY thing you do for the year. A new bench or fountain isn't going to persuade people to return for another year.

I'm not saying it is. It makes no difference to me as to whether I'll go back (it may to some but not me). But I do prefer to be in a 'nice' park rather than a tatty one.

I am in no way saying Blackpool doesn't need new rides, it most certainly does.

A

Anonymous

Well they have to be inventive & imaginative with things. Obviously for any new rides to be built, old ones would need to be removed.

The space that they gained by removing Super Bowl could have housed a large thrill ride or a medium sized EuroFighter.

There's empty space where the Turtle Chase used to sit too, oh and where Vikingar was. So thats 3 possibilities just off of the top of my head! (Oh and that space behind Infusion, so thats 4 now!)

I believe there are some attractions that could be removed with out spoiling the history of the park, like that dome with the magic show in or the Forumla 1 car thingy.

So they do have options, but they'd rather not bother with them.

Indeed, and who would have looked at BPB in 1990 and ever thought 4 years later it would be home to the PMBO without any major rides coming out?

They are experts at fitting things where there is no room (Spin Doctor another example)

North park for me (IceBlast end) is crying out for a major re-vamp IMO. I was hoping the new entrance would re-draw the boundaries of the park and they'd remove the Globe, Cableway station and use the Vikingar area, however thats now being taken over by the maint. dept and the Globe has started being used for shows again.

I just dont like that area of the park, everything past the Grand National in that direction just doesn't use its space wisley.

The problem with the Turtle Chase area is the Pleasure Beach Express tunnle runs under it, so it cant be home to anything that is heavy.

As for the area behind Infusion, the problem is getting to it, the Big Dipper and Swamp Buggies are in the way, and nothing of any area size could go there with the PMBO cutting through the middle of it (the Log Flume and PMBO fitted together like hand in glove, and now they've got a problem if they want to re-use that area)

The last I heard it was to be used to storing all the replacment wood thats used to repair the coasters which used to be behind the RollerCoaster and Grand National. Its been there for 70 years, and apparantly now its a health and safty risk.......!

Ash

tks

Strata Poster
Ash said:
They are experts at fitting things where there is no room (Spin Doctor another example)
Ash

And promptly removed it because it was causing people to queue on the bridge blocking everyones way!

What I still can't believe is that Blackpool are putting up Dodgems elsewhere in the park and making it an upcharge attraction!

A

Anonymous

Spin Doctor actually closed due to a combination of poor throughput and constant downtime, hence the bridge (which was narrowed during installation) was never put back to how it was before 2002 ;)

Ash

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
tks said:
What I still can't believe is that Blackpool are putting up Dodgems elsewhere in the park and making it an upcharge attraction!
Whoa, I must have missed that.

I do agree that it is in Blackpool's best interest to tidy up the park and make some small changes. However, what I really want to see is a big, unique, inspiring, original attraction brought to the UK.

Yes, a fountain looks nice and a lick of paint on a bench is welcome, but it hardly inspires.

I know times are tight at the moment financially but Blackpool must take a risk. The park has been operating for over 110 years and up to the point of Geoffry Thompson's death, the park had a sense of direction, ambition and love to it.

Since Amanda Thompson took over nearly SIX YEARS AGO we've had Infusion (a relocated ride) and erm, a fountain, a bit of paint here and there (which does look good I must admit), numerous ride closures/removals and management/pricing system restructures.

Where's the fun, thrill and enjoyment in that?

If nothing ground-breaking crops up in the next four years, that's a decade without big investment. Can you name any other park that has gone through the last six, or ten years, without major, innovative, risk-taking investment?

Blackpool will always remain popular (11 pages in this topic says it all!) and I'll still return but it really needs to take a risk so it can feel sexy again.

There is something quite sexy about Amanda Thompson. I just wish she'd put it to good use.

A

Anonymous

If nothing ground-breaking crops up in the next four years, that's a decade without big investment. Can you name any other park that has gone through the last six, or ten years, without major, innovative, risk-taking investment?

No I cant, but can you name a park who's owner (God rest his soul) ran around spending money he couldn't afford to part with? Thats the problem when you have a park run by one of us, an enthusiast! All GT did was exactly what you guys are screaming out for, rides, rides and more rides. It wasnt until 2001 things turned nasty (remember the shock horror when he made the Vikingar, Cableway and Whip SBNO, only to re-open 2 of them in another rather foolish move)

Then again in 2002 he is splashing the cash again with Spin Doctor. What he hadn't counted on was wristbands taking away so much of the PPR money, so not only were rides costing money to run, but they weren't taking as much as the ond days as about 85% of people were paying £20 on the gate and not a penny more, whereas 2 years before £18 got you 12 'A' rides whch you could have used in an hour and most people would buy more tickets.

When GT passed away the banks came down VERY hard on AjT and yes cuts had to be made. However, the park is picking back up, and last year was a good year, things are far from perfect, but its back on the right road.

Question is where do we go from here? I know what my answer would be, but that would leave PBB without any major water rides which isn't a very good position to be in.

Also, you say were only 4 years off having a decade without a major investment, thats small fry when you look at the parks past. 1935 the Grand National opened, 1958 the Wild Mouse opened, with nothing major to speak of inbetween, thats happened 2-3 times over the 110 years the parks been in business and its still going. If it gets to 2024 without a new ride then I'll start to panic.

Ash

Ben

CF Legend
Ash said:
In 1935 the Grand National opened, 1958 the Wild Mouse opened, with nothing major to speak of inbetween, thats happened 2-3 times over the 110 years the parks been in business and its still going. If it gets to 2024 without a new ride then I'll start to panic.

Um, I WILL panic if the same thing that happened in 1939-45 repeats itself!

Please don't cite historical examples if you never attended a history lesson.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Ash said:
In 1935 the Grand National opened, 1958 the Wild Mouse opened, with nothing major to speak of inbetween, thats happened 2-3 times over the 110 years the parks been in business and its still going. If it gets to 2024 without a new ride then I'll start to panic.

Um, I WILL panic if the same thing that happened in 1939-45 repeats itself!

Please don't cite historical examples if you never attended a history lesson.

I take it you've got nobody else to pick an argument with? :roll:

Ben

CF Legend
facepalm.gif

A

Anonymous

Grow up Ben, between us we've already nearly wrecked this topic and a mod has had to clean it all up. What you get out of all this rubbish I dont know.

Ash

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
I really do despair sometimes...

Maybe if you werent such a dick when it comes to debating you would get a little more respect.

I have no idea why you have this over the top aggresive posting style whenever somebody doesnt agree with you.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ To be fair, you and Ash seem to be more agressive than Ben. Ben is more dry, sarcastic, and witty in a bitchy way, whereas you two just lose your cool.

Oh, and as for 'nothing much' happening between 1935 and 1958 to prevent Blackpool investing... a bankrupt country due to a world war? I know Ben thought he didn't have to actually make you aware, but, it seems someone does :p.

A

Anonymous

I am aware the country was bankrupt, I am aware of that. I have also spent the last 3 days trying to educate people on here that AjT isn't exactly rolling in it either, that seems to fail on deaf ears.

Ash

Mike

Giga Poster
In my opinion, you [Ash and Scott] have actually spent the last 3 days on here creating totally unnecessary arguments which seem to have gone absolutely nowhere in resolving any sorts of problems that any companies may or may not be in, whilst stereotyping and possibly offending several groups of people in the process of going nowhere.

If you dislike and disagree with some people off this website's opinions so much, and stated in your first few lines of your first post that you aren't a fan of this site anyway, then what's the point in continuing to post here? To give out information that you believe is "falling on death ears" anyway?

I just really don't understand it. :?

tks

Strata Poster
Scott88 said:
Ben said:
I really do despair sometimes...

Maybe if you werent such a dick when it comes to debating you would get a little more respect.

I have no idea why you have this over the top aggresive posting style whenever somebody doesnt agree with you.

You just defeated your entire argument with the use of the work dick there..

Status
Not open for further replies.