What's new

Funny Things People Have Said At/About Theme Parks

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
DDF14, that's brought another one back to me! :D

During a school trip last year:

Young boy ,(6-7 years old) bouncing up and down on a horse Chief Ranger's Carousel (yelling): "MUMMY, LOOK! MY WILLY HAS GONE ALL BIG AND HARD!" He then turned to the side, stood up on the horse and showed mummy the bulge in his trousers. :tongue9:

DDF14

Mega Poster
gavin said:
DDF14 said:
BARNABY WILL YOU STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR WILLY!!!

If my mum had called me Barnaby, I would have done everything possible to get back at her as well. Poor kid.

Indeed we both thought why not just call him Barney. She did seem quite posh though and he was a little rascal..

TP Rich that is insane I think I would have spent all day on the floor LM(FAT)AO

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I was with a friend on the ride and we tried to stifle our laughter, but we were pretty much falling about upon exiting the ride. :p

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
When I was at alton towers in the queue for RITA two girls behind me where saying,
girl 1 : "Does this go upside down?"
girl 2 : "Yes it does a loop over thi3teen."
girl 1 : " OH MY GOD going round a loop at 120mph will be so scary."

Really how can people that stupid.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^The same as how people can that horrible at grammar ;) Honestly, whenever I hear the GP open their mouth to spout of coaster facts, I tend to ignore them so I dont bash my skull off something sharp and pointy or slap the stupid out of them. Ive also given up on correcting them, cause Ive gotten into an argument while waiting for Steel Venom about who made the "hanging" rides (they said they were made by the same people as Raptor -,- ). I somehow LOST the argument cause he called me something along the lines of a retard while he claimed to be a coaster professional.

Eye roll and walked away after the ride was over.

Switching between the hideouts'...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
^The same as how people can that horrible at grammar ;) Honestly, whenever I hear the GP open their mouth to spout of coaster facts, I tend to ignore them so I dont bash my skull off something sharp and pointy or slap the stupid out of them. Ive also given up on correcting them, cause Ive gotten into an argument while waiting for Steel Venom about who made the "hanging" rides (they said they were made by the same people as Raptor -,- ). I somehow LOST the argument cause he called me something along the lines of a retard while he claimed to be a coaster professional.

Eye roll and walked away after the ride was over.

See, I understand that it's amusing to listen to the misconceptions people have over a subject you know a lot about. If you're a self-proclaimed "expert" in a field, then it can really amaze you how misguided people can be.

However... When I'm at a theme park, I'm a paying guest of that theme park. I'm no better than any other member of the public who has also paid to attend the park that day. I think it's both arrogant and rude to then correct others at the park. Just let them go on believing what they believe, unless you are invited into the conversation to put forwards your knowledge.

We used to have this all the time when I was reenacting. It never ceased to amaze me how little people actually know, and how stupid people can be. The difference there was that I was paid to be knowledgeable about the period of history I was portraying. Even better, each "event" was like this forum, so if somebody spouted rubbish, they'd be pulled up by a more knowledgeable member and told how it is. There were also awesome arguments over theories and ideas :lol:

The point being, if you're asked for your "professional opinion", then give it. Otherwise, just smirk to yourself and keep it inside ;)

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
The GP's lack of theme park knowledge does amuse me, but I don't let it annoy me, people who are enthusiasts about other things probably refer to us as the 'GP' and joke about how little we know about certain things. ;)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
My family knows NOTHING about B&M hypers.

The following discussion took place in the car deciding which park we wanted to visit that year:

Mom: Let's do Carowinds, I like Jarrett's (me) idea.
Me: Sweet, I've kind of always wanted to ride Intimidator!
Dad: Jarrett, you've ridden Intimidator already, haven't you?
Me: *facepalm* No, Dad, I've ridden Intimidator 305 already, not Intimidator.

And on the day we left for Carowinds...

Dad: Alright, let's get packing!
Me: Sweet, I'm finally going to ride Intimidator!
Dad: But you've already ridden it.
Me: No, I rode Intimidator 305. They're completely different.
Dad: How?
Me: (nerd moment ahead) Well, I-305 was made by Intamin and is 305 feet tall and has mostly high speed banking changes with high speed turns. Intimidator at Carowinds was made by B&M and is a hyper coaster like Goliath (he does remember that because somebody died on it the day we rode it) and has more airtime. It's like a twisty Goliath.
Dad: No idea what any of that meant.

And then we get there...

Me: (pointing to Intimidator) There it is!
Dad: It looks fun...but I can't tell what it does. (keep in mind we were on the highway, it was pretty clear what it did)
My sister: That roller coaster looks bizarre. (And she's ridden Apollo's Chariot, Goliath, and Diamondback at our home park!)

And my sister getting back from a band trip to Kings Island...

Sister: Diamondback was awesome, I liked the seatbelts!
Me: They're not new, both Goliath and Apollo's Chariot had them.
Her: No, Apollo's Chariot had harnesses.
Dad: What was Apollo's Chariot?
Me: That big purple and yellow ride at Busch Gardens.
Dad: I don't remember it.

And this has nothing to do with B&M hypers, but it's a funny story about Anaconda at Kings Dominion:

Me: (both of us were strapped in and ready to go) Let's do this!
Dad: Jarrett, I hate heights (as we look at Intimidator 305 right next to us that both of us rode XD)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Ben said:
God, how dare your family be normal?
Most of the stuff they said was normal, just funny. But the Anaconda/Intimidator 305 thing was HILARIOUS when it happened! XD

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, to be honest, at least your family share a decency to pretend to care about Coasters, mine don't.

Also, gotta ask, seen as I never heard of it? When the hell did somebody die on Goliath?!

Random guy I was chatting to in R&R queue, OMG that guy just got off the ride!!
Me, Really? -_-

Oh wait... he is... its my dad...

Somehow got out of the OTSRs and on the platform next to the launch... this was easter 2011.

On the bright side we got free fastpasses :angel:

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^... what?

-lofty- said:
Also, gotta ask, seen as I never heard of it? When the hell did somebody die on Goliath?!

June 2, 2001 apparently. Brain Aneurysm. No technical fault then.

My personal pet hate is people adding "the" to ride names. I also once heard Dragon Khan referred to as "that dragon ride in Spain" whilst queuing in for Inferno. I hope he wasn't going to compare the two.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
My friends were chatting about The Swarm t'other day. This is how the conversation went.

Friend 1: Well, it's bound to be rubbish as it's an EXACT copy of that ride at Six Flags in California.
Friend 2: Oh really? I wont bother going then.
Me: Urm, what ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain exactly? If you mean X-Flight at Six Flags Great America, yes, they are the same ride type but not the same layout. So hardly a copy.
Friend 1: God sake, are you dumb? I mean X2 you can TELL they are EXACTLY the same. Swarm even has the spinning seats.
Me: *facepalm*

I just linked him to RCDB. I just couldn't be bothered to go into all the details. I can kinda see where he was coming from in that the trains SORT of look the same...but the layouts and everything else are just completely different.

mouse

Giga Poster
When my younger cousin was told that she was going to Alton the first thing she said was "I'm not going on neblithian!"