What's new

Earthquake in Japan

kimahri

CF Legend
There's already a thread on 4chan. It's really ****ing weird and not 4channy at all, it's like they have a heart!

Those before and after pictures are incredible, and really show the amount of destruction that happened. The ones of the little villages and all the houses being completely washed away are particularly sad to me, I couldn't imagine losing all that.

Good find. I still can't believe the death toll is so low. I mean, a thousand is still obviously tragic, but when I heard about this I expected it to be way more.

EDIT- Nevermind, I guess the death toll is somewhere around 10,000 now. So sad what nature can do.

kimahri

CF Legend
So far it's:

There have been 1353[3] officially confirmed deaths and 1085[3] people officially reported missing in twelve prefectures, but estimated numbers are far higher.[14]

According to wikipedia.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^That's the figure they've been giving out on BBC News today. It's a predicted figure at the moment.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good god.

What was that, like 5mins for a whole storey of water? Jesus Christ. I cannot begin to image what that must be like to see...

tks

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Yah, I do wonder why though. Was the last tsunami worse, or was it just in a more populated area, with poorer evacuation procedures?

The faultline in the boxing day tsunami was about 4 times bigger than the one that ruptured in Japan.

Add together a huge coastal population in Indonesia, incredibly low lying areas and a lack of tsunami knowledge, no real infrastructure designed to withstand anything like that etc etc.

I still think it's hard to comprehend that around 227,000 people died because of it.

A

Anonymous

A very interesting article that is pretty easy to understand about what have happened in the Fukushima nuclear plants. It's more based on facts than anything the media have written about it. Sure it's bad that it have happened, but it's not as bad as some papers/tv channels tells us like this is worse than Chernobyl...

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Those facebook and twitter posts on the ignorant :!: were ridiculous! It acctualy makes me sick that people can say those sorts of things. And that whole pearl harbour thing? Its almost as if some idiots have never heard of the atomic bomb.....gah, racist idiots should not be allowed within 10 meters of a computer. I love how these prats are trying to be patriotic yet they have never heard of the weapon that won them the war...me thinks selective memory has been used here. Some people are just ridiculously insensitive.

All I can say is I feel incredibly sorry for japan, the images of the waves are horrific and the thought of the possibility of meltdowns it just horrific, especially after the tsunami and the fires from the volcano.

kimahri

CF Legend
loefet said:
A very interesting article that is pretty easy to understand about what have happened in the Fukushima nuclear plants. It's more based on facts than anything the media have written about it. Sure it's bad that it have happened, but it's not as bad as some papers/tv channels tells us like this is worse than Chernobyl...

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation

But it's radiation! RADIATION!

THAT'S LIKE REALLY BAD DUDE, FUKIN RADIATION!!!

Dave

CF Legend
loefet said:
but it's not as bad as some papers/tv channels tells us like this is worse than Chernobyl...

Especially when Chernobyl was a reactor explosion, where as this is a meltdown potentially

A

Anonymous

^^ <3

^ Tell that to the reporters...
I'm not even sure that there is a 100% confirmation of a meltdown, as long as they keep the water flowing to cool the core then I actually doubt that we will see more than a partial meltdown.

I really hope that everything works out for the people of Japan and that it doesn't get much worse than it is (no more tsunamis/big aftershocks). My thoughts are with you!!

If anyone is interested then you could browse over to Skyscrapercity and reports (with images) from one of the users that is living in Sendai during all this, it gives you some good insight in what's happening there: CLICK