What's new

Earthquake in Japan

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently, about 70,000 people have been trapped in Tokyo Disneyland, and have to stay in the park for some time.

(all my sources are in Norwegian, so it would be useless posting them here)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ok, ok. I'll change the title and put it in Anything Goes.

I am a compassionate man and I do feel sorry for those who have lost loved ones, but as I'm directly unaffected by it, I don't really have anything else to say.

marc

CF Legend
I hope they sort out the power station that is having problems, thats the last they need is that goes up in smoke.

davidm

Strata Poster
Nagashima Spa Land is pretty low-lying in Ise bay too - hope thats OK.

(...and as many Japanese peeps as possible of course, but clearly that goes without saying)

Mark

Strata Poster
Not really much I can say. I was a bit gobsmacked tbh.

Like others have said, its kinda mesmerising watching natures awesome power (the use of awesome is in its original context).

Thoughts go out to all those that are suffering...

tks

Strata Poster
Well obviously as a theme park website we'll be interested in them and how they are affected in the long run, but on the sheer scale of things currently I couldn't give a flying **** if Tokyo Disneyland's car park got flooded.

marc

CF Legend
^Yes I agree with you there, I am more worried about this power station that could explode :( If that happens this news will look very different tomorrow and it is really not needed Japan has enough to cope with as it is.

I had not seen the wave until just now and I really thought it was not real, it looked like a scene from a film really shocking.

tks

Strata Poster
I'm sure the nuclear reactor will be sorted. They're planning on releasing some pressure from the problem reactor which should help it. Of course some radiation might be released but they say it won't harm human health.

nealbie

CF Legend
Forget the humans! What about all the wild Pokemon roaming Japan?!

I'm heartbroken just THINKING about all the beached Magikarps and drowned Jigglypuffs! </3 :(

Ben

CF Legend
^If someone hadn't irresponsibly let their Golem use Earthquake, NONE of this would have happened <//3

In positive news though, it seems Pidgey was not affected.

Jer

Strata Poster
nealbie said:

going in my sig!

This is the only tragedy to happen to any country that I rally give a **** about. Because think about it, the earthquake in Haiti, who was effected? not many, but japan, that effects the entire world for electronics, games, cars, EVERYTHING. Plus if the reactors go it will surely hit Korea (more auto industry) and China (dont get me started)

Please japan, dont die on us, this country actually matters! :cry:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
ciallkennett said:
I know people have mentioned this, but Jerry or any of the Site and Management teams please change the title of this thread to about the earthquake and move it to Anything Goes please? Out of respect more than anything - this massive catastrophe and it just looks like all we care about is a park suffering a tad water damage...
Of course, this is a horrific tragedy but that's not why I started this topic. It was supposed to be to discuss Disney Tokyo & how it's affected. Another topic could have been created to discuss the tragedy itself. I don't see why I shouldn't have created a topic to discuss the Tokyo parks & how they're affected since it was unclear at the time. News reports were published about the issue & thousands of people are supposedly 'trapped' in the parks. David thought about how/if Nagashima Spa Land could be affected. That doesn't mean he isn't compassionate about what's happened.
Discussing how this tragedy affects Japan's theme parks doesn't mean that we don't care about the injuries, loss of life & what people in Japan are going through. No one in their right mind would jump to that conclusion. Who the **** is going to look at this website & say "Look at those assholes. All they care about is a **** ing theme park & not the people of Japan"?
This is a coaster/theme park website ffs. Give me a **** ing break. :roll:

tks

Strata Poster
tks said:
I'm sure the nuclear reactor will be sorted. They're planning on releasing some pressure from the problem reactor which should help it. Of course some radiation might be released but they say it won't harm human health.

Shows what I know about nuclear power plants. There's been a small explosion!

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Lol. I was about to quote that. Yeah, it's true. The Nuclear Plant that was in major focus (on the outskirts of Tokyo) has exploded. They've said that the whole place is "stable" in terms of nothing harmful leaking yet, although, they've put the site on "Critical" at the moment, they've basically said, if they don't do anything quick, the reactors could explode, and from what happened with Chernobyl, we know what happens when that goes..

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:

I'm heartbroken just THINKING about all the beached Magikarps and drowned Jigglypuffs! </3 :(

Magikarp can survive for days out of water. Their Splash attack enables them to hop back into the sea, should it happen that they are flushed ashore or into tidal ponds (see Pokémon Stadium's minigame section).

Jigglypuff are able to puff themselves up to the size of small houses, and won't drown as easily. Even when "unpuffed" (or deflated, if you want), it still has a lower density than water (as do most, Pokémon, most notably Onix).

Jokes aside, it looks like about 900 are confirmed dead after the earthquake now. Authorities fear that as many as 1600 might have perished. And a nuclear meltdown appears to be in the works, with as many as 20,000 people being evacuated from its immediate vincinity (that is, everyone living closer to the site than 20 kilometres).

Luckily, Japan is one of the places in the world with best earthquake protection. They've gone through stuff similiar to this for centuries, and have taken their precautions. I'll be more worried when LA goes kablooey again.