What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think your comment is slightly misleading GuyWithAStick - I don't think they're talking about VR headsets, but 3D 360° videos on YouTube.

At least, that's how it sounded to me. Has anyone else actually watched the video?

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Yeah that's exactly what they're talking about. Dont think they are making this out to be a VR ride once it actually opens.

The 360 Video is cool though.

Lofty

CF Legend
The VR will be available on Youtube, he said that matter of fact, if you're reading into it having it on ride, you're simple.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Picture of the wave turn going up. This thing is going to massive. Look closely at the very bottom of the pic and you can see the bottom of the drop.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So according to this Coaster Studios video, the little 'tunnel' atop the crest of the launch is actually to prevent Wasps/Bees from nesting there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUELpTMETVE[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm no bee or wasp expert, but how does that stop them nesting? And why couldn't they nest on any of the other bits of track?

Lofty

CF Legend
^ With you on this one, if anything, creating a sheltered haven for them is only going to attract them more, from what I understand?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Eh, who knows.

However, Wild Eagle has a noted history of closing due to bees, so this is a problem already known to pester Dollywood.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
Eh, who knows.

However, Wild Eagle has a noted history of closing due to bees, so this is a problem already known to pester Dollywood.

Thats why they began using the water misters on the lift hill, same goes for Thunderhead. But I agree, I am not sure how the tunnel thingy will deter bees from nesting.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
I was serious, but I realize I forgot to consider the possibility of flying into the bees. It actually seems more likely on this than it does on Wild Eagle or Thunderhead.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
You could fly into bees, or there could be a gust of wind or something and it combined with the vibrations of the train could knock a nest of of the structure and into the train. Speed isn't going to stop that.

My thinking is that they'll probably have misters on that structure as well as a wire mesh separating the gable from the base. That way they can just nest in the gable and there'd be a barrier between that and the train. Maybe camouflage the weird-looking wooden gable thing atop the lift by putting in an old-fashioned road sign up there?

Lofty

CF Legend
Bees don't need their nest destroying to attack - if they feel threatened and that their Queen Bee is under threat, they'll do whatever they have to do to prevent her demise - that includes stinging the **** out of a train full of thrill seekers.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Saturday, ACE had a little get together at Dollywood and got a behind the scenes tour of LR. The question of Why it there got answered but I am sure that someone asked how its going to work. Someone out there knows the answer the question.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^^Kinda what I was saying. If the structural vibrations shake the nest or something flies out of a train and provokes them, it could end up getting ugly. Misting a screened-in area would make it impossible for a papery nest to hold up, so they'd end up having to nest on the part of the frame outside. The screen would keep anything from flying out from the airtime hill and spooking them as well as provide a deterrent and obstacle from any swarming insects wanting to attack.

That's my theory on why this might work but I'm not a pest control expert. Can't think of what else it might do though.