What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Intricks

Strata Poster
Unfortunately I am mobile at the moment (being just OH SO productive at work), so I cant upload the actual teaser, but as reported by screamscape, Dollywood is taking the wheel of their additions, and pushing the pedal to the metal for 2016.

The video is a short clip, but features the rear end of a car for a brief moment before it speeds off down a straight section of road while leaving behind a Tennessee liscence plate with DW 2016 on it.

From Screamscape:

Is the new 2016 Dollywood attraction going to be a launched ride of some kind? Possibly one with a hot rod or car theme? A reader sent us a video (see below) they shot shown at the end of the presentation by Dollywood's Pete Owens, which features an animated shot of a car with a Dollywood bumper sticker flooring it off the line and leaving behind a Tennessee license plate with 2016 on it.
One of the rumors for the new 2016 attraction I have already been hearing was that 2015 may be the last year for the park's Rockin' Roadway car ride, so if this is the location for a new high speed ride for 2016, it would make sense to have a car theme once again. Plus remember the reports last week about construction along the employee entrance road? Yeah... that road runs right alongside this area as well.
On a related note, I've also heard from a source that the Cas Walker's gas station themed store that was next to the car ride (to the right) may have already been demolished inside the park as well to make room.

So, what do you think it will be? Will they keep up this bi-yearly trend of new coasters or will this be an impressive set of flats?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Dollywood 2016 || Teaser

Here's the teaser:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPCeiP_-n8[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend

Lol, the awkward clap at the end of the video.

It would be very interesting if it is a launch coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Hmmm, what about a Zierer launcher?

bmac

Giga Poster

I do remember Dollywood reps being at BGW for a few days after Verbolten opened. It could also be one of these:

a7hefs001ak4o0g004pmi9.jpg

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

So screamscape posted today that the Herschend family filed for a trademark on the name Shot Rod and on the application for the trademark it said "Entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park ride, namely, a roller coaster with a classic car theme". So from what everyone on here said it seems pretty much a launched coaster with a classic car/americana theme.

Rest of the article is here : http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Launched car coaster in the 50s area. I called it, you heard it from me first.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Launched car coaster in the 50s area. I called it, you heard it from me first.

It's not exactly "calling it" when Chris Coasters wrote the same thing in the post above you haha!

It's the obvious guess though, so I have to agree with you both.

XLR8R

Roller Poster

I'm hoping for a RMC launched woodie, but I have this gut feeling that a Mack launch coaster is more likely to happen.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

It won't be a launched RMC woodie, because Alton are going to get the first. :wink:

I personally think it'll be a Zierer one. If not, a Mack one and if not that, an Intamin one. I can't imagine that it would be a Gerstlauer one.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well, Firechaser is a Gerst Launch, and it's getting great reviews.

But I can see what you're saying with the same coaster type from the same manufacturer 2(well 3) years in a row.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I'd hardly call Fire Chaser a launch coaster, it's more of an all round type of coaster, with the lift hills then a backwards launch, still looks fantastic though.

Lofty

CF Legend

By technical definition it is a launch coaster, it has two launches, therefore 'launch coaster'. Although even the manufacturer considers it as a 'family coaster' and doesn't tie it in with their other 'launch coasters'. Gerstlauer list their products cleverly and cross reference types into different brackets on their website, but they don't list Firechaser Express as a launch coaster.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

If this is an RMC launched coaster, I think the launch (or launches, as some are hinting at a dueling coaster) would be over I-Box track before switching to topper track. I hope I can get out to Tennessee next year!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^^ I don't think so. Goliath has topper track, and goes faster than all the RMC Iron Horse coasters. And not to mention, Goliath uses Urethane wheels, so I don't see any wheel problems.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I'm sure someone a few weeks ago pointed out that the wooden coasters used polyurethane and the steel coasters used steel ones. Anyway, though one the wooden coasters, the 'rails' are wooden, not steel, even with a thin layer of steel on top of them.....