What's new

Do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

Do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. When dining out at a restaurant, most restaurants will offer 3 courses. These are; a starter, a typically savoury course at the beginning of the meal (or if you’re American, I believe this is referred to as an appetiser?), a main course that makes up the bulk of the meal, and a dessert, a typically sweet course to finish off the meal. I’m assuming that the vast majority of people order a main course during a meal, but I’ve noticed that the two peripheral courses at the beginning and end of a meal can divide opinion a tad more, with some people sometimes not ordering one or the other. When dining out with groups of people, I’ve noticed that some people often don’t have a starter and some other people often don’t have a dessert. With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; when dining in a restaurant, do you prefer starter or dessert? If you could only pick one of the two peripheral courses in a 3-course meal, which one would you choose?

Personally, I would choose dessert without a second’s hesitation. I have a real sweet tooth and can often find at least a few things on a dessert menu that take my fancy; I’m often tempted by anything entailing caramel, toffee or fudge, as well as an apple pie or apple crumble with custard, and I’ve also grown to really enjoy a good chocolate brownie, amongst other desserts! By comparison, I have less of an appetite for the sort of things typically seen on a starter menu, and often, nothing on a starter menu really catches my eye. As I often find a full 3-course meal more food than I want to eat in one sitting, I will often veto starter and just have a main and dessert, to be honest.

I’m unsure how popular that opinion is, however, as I know numerous people in my family who would always choose starter rather than dessert, and would always choose a cheeseboard, the sole savoury option, as a dessert. When I went out with my family once, my mum even asked for something off the starter menu as a dessert!

But I’d be interested to know; do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
As a gluttonous American, definitely, definitely both! But if I absolutely have to pick one I'm probably going to go with desserts

Christian

Hyper Poster
I would prefer an aperitif or digestif. For aperitif I prefer something strong such as vodka, whiskey or cognac. If it's a fino sherry or a dry madeira that I like I might also take that here. For digestifs I prefer something sweet, cream or olorosu sherry, port or a stronger cocktail. If I have to choose, I would take a digestif rather than an aperitif.

Oh wait, you meant food. Then it's always a starter. This year, I have been working a lot on loosing weight and have basically eliminated all sweets from my diet. Can barely finish a dessert if I get it in front of me, something just feels weird eating desserts.

Sticky_T_Wicky

Roller Poster
I'm American so appetizer, haha! I don't feel like I enjoy desserts as much after I had already ate and am likely full. I also do not have much of a sweet tooth as I generally prefer salty snacks.

Some kind of battered and fried cheese or chips & salsa sounds amazing right now a couple beers deep after my day at Silver Dollar City to be honest!

A starter because by the time my main is done, I feel like a bloated, fat cow. But once in a while if there's bread pudding or something involved I might splurge and get both.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Same as above.

I don't tend to eat sweet treats outside of my home. I'm one of those people that can devour anything when I'm at home watching a film or TV, but once I'm out I stick to regular meals with very little snacking or sweets.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Neither. I diet and try to stay fit so I am able to effectively play water polo and do marching band to the best of my ability. I also have a small appetite so I don't eat much, but sometimes I'll try dessert if it looks really good even though I'm full because I know that the stomach can actually expand with contact with sugar. (Little known fun fact read more here- Dessert Stomach sorry I couldn't find the original study, but this website sums it up pretty well) Just some fun stuff for us science geeks, I'll stop ranting now, but if someone wants to make a topic related to science I would totally love to either make it or be active in it!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Love a good pudding, me.
I often find that if I have a starter I struggle to finish the main course, so I tend to avoid ordering them in restaurants.
But when you do finish your main course you can order a dessert depending on whether or not you have room for it. Spoiler alert -,always yes!

Graeme

Roller Poster
I really just like the main course. Starters might ruin your appetite, and in recent years desserts have started to seem obviously confected to me. Of course, they are, but it's just recently the alchemy of sweet things has worn off for me, and I can more clearly taste that it's made out of various ingredients all mashed up. If I had to pick one, I'd go for starter, because at least it might be a nice bread roll or something.

Matt N

CF Legend
Your strategy of skipping the starter to leave room for a satisfying main course and dessert aligns with the idea that a three-course meal can sometimes be more than one desires in a single sitting. It's all about finding that perfect balance to ensure an enjoyable dining experience.
@Hyde @Hixee @Pokemaniac I think this person might possibly be a bot trying to advertise based on their posting history… the only post they made prior to this was 3 months ago in a thread about steak, which they later edited to include a link…

The favourite park and coaster categories are also both registered as “non”.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
@Hyde @Hixee @Pokemaniac I think this person might possibly be a bot trying to advertise based on their posting history… the only post they made prior to this was 3 months ago in a thread about steak, which they later edited to include a link…

The favourite park and coaster categories are also both registered as “non”.
100% a bot, bye!

I do appreciate that you still liked their post... ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
Personally, I'm with you on the dessert train. There's just something so satisfying about ending a meal on a sweet note. I remember this one time at a pizza & kitchen place recommended by a friend where I couldn't resist indulging in their decadent chocolate lava cake for dessert. It was pure bliss!
@Hyde @Hixee @Pokemaniac Is this another bot? The favourite park and coaster categories are listed as “USA”, and their first post, in a non coaster or park related thread, looks to me as though it might be building to a link being embedded in future…

Does this look like a bot to you, or am I too suspicious?

If it is, I’m not sure what about this thread seems to attract bots…

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@Hyde @Hixee @Pokemaniac Is this another bot? The favourite park and coaster categories are listed as “USA”, and their first post, in a non coaster or park related thread, looks to me as though it might be building to a link being embedded in future…

Does this look like a bot to you, or am I too suspicious?

If it is, I’m not sure what about this thread seems to attract bots…
We're all bots mans, some of us just don't know!

Good flag. Thank you for liking their post, again. :p