What's new

"Dizz", Maurer Söhne spinner for Bobbejaanland

peep

CF Legend
Yet another construction update today via their facebook account. It's going up quite quickly. It's also starting to look very interesting...

Link

Lofty

CF Legend
184991_10150104958000822_25556630821_6131631_4536100_n.jpg

Ok, that could cause some AMAZING spinning.

Martyn B

CF Legend
So the lift, station and brake run etc are all using the usual Spinner track...

182765_10150104960755822_25556630821_6131661_4740119_n.jpg

Why would they use the 2 different track types?

Casio

Mega Poster
Maybe it's because of the sections over pathways, they obviously can't put supports in the middle of the path, so they just use a bigger spine so fewer supports are needed? Just an idea

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Intamin vary their track styles enough and even Schwarzkopf used bi-rail for the brakes on his rides. There's loads of examples, I don't see how it's odd to have this style track for the lift and a different one for the ride.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah, but the point is that just because it's new doesn't necessarily mean it's odd. I suspect this is to do with the clearance for supports, they need the stronger spine to allow them to space out the supports a bit more. It wouldn't surprise me if this sort of track becomes more popular though.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Casio got my point, they've never done it before, so why now? But the supports theory is a good one I guess.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ I think it's similar to the euro-fighters, they started off as purely bi-rail then one day tri-rail popped up. I think it's just improvements in design, there's probably millions of reasons for it, from costs to aesthetics. I love the new track though! I've always thought these spinners looked abit messy with the amount of supporting needed, so this will sleek up the look of the coaster nicely.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Bob_3_ is right. It's called design iteration. Maurer Sohne, like any other engineering firm, constantly strives to improve their technology. Why should they stick with something old if their research shows that if they do something a little differently, there would be benefits? In this case, they probably concluded that adding a spine would create a stronger structure and allow for fewer supports, saving on a bit of cost.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Ok, that makes sense an all, but why didn't they do it before? Its clearly their X-Car track, which they've been using for years, so they should already know everything there is to know about that design?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Timing maybe? I'm completely guessing now, I have no idea, but it might just be that this was their first 'non-off-the-shelf' installation in a few years, only really giving them the chance to use this new track now.

Could make sense?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It could also be that this spinner isn't as compact as their others. Since it's more spread out, it makes even more sense to save money on supports and foundations.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well they're pretty much the standard cars. No changes there then sadly. Would've been interesting if they'd changed the cars too... :p

Nic

Strata Poster
More construction pics have been added to their facebook. This thing is flying up!

180478_10150106391010822_25556630821_6143550_4282663_n.jpg

183798_10150106391100822_25556630821_6143554_2193167_n.jpg

185962_10150106391340822_25556630821_6143563_5190215_n.jpg

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I'm liking the track, especially black as it makes it look really nice.

The layout looks pretty cool too. Should provide some good spin!

Martyn B

CF Legend
There's pics on RCDB showing the layout in mor detail:

8i1ss001v6nm4vgvh0poi8.jpg

i7t3v436q93jg007t2uoju.jpg

And it looks like this hasn't got the signature vertical turn thing. There is a similar small one, but it doesn't look like the usual one to me.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ The "smaller one" is the bit that goes over the path which led to the discussion on track design.

It's certainly a short layout, but this I can see spinning quite wildly! Small, short but fun :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Well that definitely isn't a smaller version of them turns. I think this is the first MS spinner without one!