• Pft, Don't Be Silly!

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Whats Not To Believe?!!! Its True!!!

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Mark

Strata Poster
Pierre said:
Hey did you know Santa Claus originally was portrayed with a green suit, until the evil Coca-Cola company got their wicked way and portrayed him in a red suit, so everyone followed suit (ha).

Actually, this is a myth! Coca-Cola did not come up with that portrayal. There are illustrations that show Santa in the mid 1800's with his red coat. Coca-Cola claim they came up with it in the very early 1900's. (Trust me, I had to learn all about it for all our exhibitions at the museum)

However, they did POPULARISE the idea of a red coat and brought into a different level of mainstream use.

If you go back to the 1820s when A Visit From Saint Nicholas was written by Clement Clarke Moore he was actually portrayed as being very small, like an elf and wearing a fur coat, which would have been brown.
http://www.holyjoe.net/poetry/moore.htm

I have been studying up on my history of Santa and his many names/styles lol... (and I have just realised that Lain had already pointed this out)

Anyways, I did believe indeed, until I was about 5/6

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
ha! What a thread.

Yes, I did. Until...IDK 8 or 9. I then realized wait I'm not so sure about this, then I asked/told my mother and she sugar coated-ly told me no he wasn't real. I recall her being more upset than I!

rcjp

Roller Poster
I never believed in Santa Claus and I had quite a fun time telling my friends that he didn't exist. :twisted:

Edward M

Strata Poster
I did. We had a realistic Santa at our mall. I did always question the physics behind it though like how can a man that large fit down our chimney? What if you don't have a chimney? Why is Santa always at the mall? Which mall has the real Santa? I also asked how Santa doesn't throw up eating every cookie in every house? Wouldn't he be dead? I could go on and on. Anyway, Santa isn't real.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Edward M said:
Anyway, Santa isn't real.

Don't say that in front of kids (I say "kids" when I mean a twelve year old), or allow other kids to say it. Not unless you want to deal with an angry phone call from a parent saying how you've single-handedly "ruined Christmas".

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I didn't actually have to deal with the phone call as I was teaching when they rang.

Parents are such twats. Maybe it's because they had a **** time at school and still see teachers as an "us and them" thing, but they're just so ridiculously immature sometimes.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I did until I was 7 and I saw my mom on the computer. I had seen all my items from "santa" on the tag of my presents on Amazon.com in the recently bought thing. Didn't care that much but sure did have a fun time telling other kids about it :twisted: