What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

Mike T

Mega Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
^There aren't two curving hills on AC. How does it compare to Nitro at all?

Well, as far as I remember, I got the same amount of airtime from Nitro's curved hills than the straight ones.

That's because, apparently, you don't know what airtime is. Again, B&M floater. It's bad enough on the regular hills, it's practically non-existant on the curved ones.

This is coming from the guy who thinks that all Intamin airtime is the same regardless of the ride...

Different factors depend on different things. In the instance of roller coaster design, it's not all about airtime airtime airtime. Regardless if Diamondback ejects you to the moon or keeps you floating throughout each camel back, the purpose of the ride is obviously its size, its large drops, and its speed. All three of those factors is what the majority of park guests care about in a roller coaster, and Kings Island definitely nailed it with what they're planning on building.

In my personal opinion, if you don't like the ride, don't give Kings Island your money to go ride it. If you're interested in the ride and want to give it a chance, regardless of who made it and what it looks like, I wish you the best of luck getting to the park next summer.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
This is coming from the guy who thinks that all Intamin airtime is the same regardless of the ride...

Yes, which is why I think S:RoS SFA has airtime that is just as good as El Toro...and why Xcelerator's tophat has the same airtime as Kingda Ka's speed hill...:roll:

Correct. But Griffon also has a nice dosage of airtime, as do a few other B&M coasters. Who knows, you may be surprised.
In the instance of roller coaster design, it's not all about airtime airtime airtime.

With regards to hypers and my opinion, yes it is. I don't ride hypers for the pretty view of the scenery, and I don't ride them for helixes.

And 99% of the other people who enter the front gates of that park do. In terms of what the coaster does, people aren't saying "Wow this ride looks like its going to have some impressive pops of air!", they're marveling over the size of the drops, the speed, and the length (Although we can say that the industry is moving away from the biggest and baddest, there's still plenty of instances where it's done today... and it works...).

Regardless if Diamondback ejects you to the moon or keeps you floating throughout each camel back, the purpose of the ride is obviously its size, its large drops, and its speed.

If size was the factor, I could just stay at SFNE and ride S:RoS. Actually, I'd drive 3 1/2 hours to Kingda Ka

Size is the factor because people 1,000 miles away from Great Adventure ask about Kingda Ka. Size is a factor because the only thing people at Valleyfair like to talk about is how they conquered "The Dragster". That's why size matters... its definitely a beneficiary for the park...

If large drops were the factor, I'd find something other than Diamondback, because it has what, three?

Considering the park it's at, that stands impressive. Considering the surrounding market, that's even more impressive. Regardless of the fact that Cedar Point is 5 hours north (Yes the two markets do collide at times, hell read about Valleyfair above), the ride is still huge and it will sell...

If speed mattered, I'd love Millennium Force.

Which is why 11,714,450 have ridden it since 2000, the majority who come off the ride hooting and hollering.

All three of those factors is what the majority of park guests care about in a roller coaster, and Kings Island definitely nailed it with what they're planning on building.

Reading my posts would help.

UC said:
That being said, it is a hell of an investment, and I will hopefully be riding it next year...it's definitely something KI needed...I just wish it had a few more bunny hops or something...

Sorry dear, only the first part of that post was directed towards you. The rest was for the general consensus of things...

In my personal opinion, if you don't like the ride, don't give Kings Island your money to go ride it.

Ahh, that's not proper logic. I have to go ride it now, to confirm the fact that when Brian goes on it and comes back screaming about how it's the best thing since sliced bread, that it's just his love of floater, not anything in particular about the ride itself.

:p

According to what I've seen, half the folk on this site live for the fact that you enjoyed Cedar Point's Maverick after being skeptical about the coaster. Perhaps Diamondback will surprise you. Give it a chance to do its thing.

If you're interested in the ride and want to give it a chance, regardless of who made it and what it looks like, I wish you the best of luck getting to the park next summer.

Well thank you! It looks like I will be getting to ride it after all!

Like said above, I hope you and everybody else who has the chance to ride it has a good time with the coaster. Although it's definitely a step in the right direction, I still don't think this single roller coaster is going to put the bandage on the entire park's lack of note worthy attractions.

Like said above, I hope you and everybody else who has the chance to ride it has a good time with the coaster.

I'm sure everyone will have a good time with it whether or not they are skeptical of it in the first place. You can't go on a coaster that is that big and not have some kind of fun or rush. You might not put it in your top ten or even top twenty, but it's not a coaster people can "hate".

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
People neeed to realize that this is the largest coaster in the park, I agree that this will not bondage Kings Island, but at least they did not put in something like the Son of Beast again. (All the injuries) This also puts them out of the Holiday World vibe that I believe that they are in. Meaning that I would rather go to HW than KI because of the fact that there are better coasters at HW. With the addition of Diamondback, KI has a coaster that gets them out of that hole. This is also the only coaster in the park that is over 200 feet. Other than SoB. MY OPINION is that people need to ride the ride, then start to critisizing the coaster.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Yeah.. because Nitro is exactly the same thing. Just wait until you've ridden it and then say something. I don't care if you say it sucks then, but at least wait until you've ridden it. (However, I can tell you for sure that the ride won't 'suck')

Snoo

The Legend
Brian, the ride's layouts are nearly the same.. except Nitro has more airtime.. the whole point of a B&M Hyper.

Nitro wasn't spectacular, and neither will this.

I don't need to ride it to know it will suck.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
So this ride is absolutely worthless to you? Like it's not even worth the trip?

I mean, I have no problem with you saying that it's not good, but it's not going to suck.

And just because it has more hills doesn't mean it's gonna have better airtime. Behemoth runs AC into the ground with only 5 real hills.

Snoo

The Legend
CP6 said:
So this ride is absolutely worthless to you? Like it's not even worth the trip?

If I drove 2 hours for a SDC Hurricane.. this will not be out of the question.

My simple point is that, doing what this ride is supposed to do.. just like the best of the B&M Hypers, it will be poor.. much like Nitro.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For those looking to enjoy Diamondback, be it the best or worst B&M Hyper coaster, you are more than welcome to ride with me. :razz:

As long as you have fun on the ride, that's what matters.

Disaster Transport is a god awful ride, yet we always seem to ride it together and have a hilarious time on it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^Matt, at next year's live, PLCP and I will be glad to ride it with you.

Look at it this way, according to the animation, there is only one trim. I have a feeling that that one lonely trim will have to bite pretty hard to turn this into a Raging Bull.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Note that nowhere did I ever say it would have ejector. I said I hoped it would have the same as Behemoth, and I still do. It's stronger then the others and was a fantastic ride.

However...

When somebody says this ride will suck, that means to me that that ride will be somewhere among their least favorite coasters, bottom 40 or so for a count of 1 or 200. If it's higher then that (which I rather expect it would be), then you've done a lot of 'sucky' coasters and you might as well just give it up going to all those new parks and stuff if all you're gonna ride is crap. I have no problem with someone saying they'll dislike the ride-- I fully expect it not to be top 20 material on everybody's list, but to say it will be crap is, frankly, rediculous.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^The new trains don't do much of a difference, but sitting in the first or last car increases the airtime just a little bit. I believe that if the restraints were open for the ride, you would be thrown from the ride. Now, don't think I'm saying that the airtime is like Intamin airtime. It's nowhere close, but you aren't on your seat in the front or back on Behemoth.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Like I mentioned earlier, the floater is sustained, therefore it feels delicious. I'm still expecting some strong sustained floater airtime for this ride, regardless of if the ride will suck or not.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm talking about airtime that leaves you floating for four or five seconds. I'm not talking about floater like on Morgan hypers or certain wooden coasters.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Saying a ride like Diamondback is going to suck before the thing is even open is the exact reason so many parks dislike enthusiasts. It makes you look like a spoiled brat and it reflects on others. I sincerely hope that this ride isn't being viewed as all about airtime by the majority of the folks who've seen the ride, because it's almost a slap in the face to judge it based on those characteristics alone...

Gazza

Giga Poster
Brian - Marcus probably has his own definition of a ride "sucking". What you're basically saying is that he's not allowed to say that because you have a different definition of a rather ambiguous term...?

I bet Marcus feels the same way I do about Diamondback - he just chooses to express it differently - i.e. a few strong words instead of my lengthy paragraphs.

To be honest, I think Brian raises a fair point. The word 'suck' gets thrown around a fair bit, and all it does it makes people seem as if you are being contradictory. I mean using Nitro as an example, you both (frequently) say it sucks.
But you seemed to both enjoy it on that video in the trip report thread, and Steve gave it an 8 in the park guide, and the fact you bothered to ride it instead of going on one of the worlds best across the park for a 4th time says to me that it couldn't really suck at all.

I would agree pretty much with what Brian said, if a ride sucks, its bottom of the barrel, not at all enjoyable, not really worth a second look after riding it once or twice to form an opinion on it (or get the 'credit' if you swing that way). If its under 5/10 its approaching sucky territory.

I'd also agree with statement about riding a lot of crap....You wouldn't have become interested in coasters if you didn't like coasters in general.
Its hard to fathom an enthusiast that can only have fun on their top 10, 20 or whatever. It's just not possible for the majority of your count to suck.

Perhaps people need to rethink what they are saying, because when you say something sucks, its a pretty loaded statement, and contrary to what you said Steve, is not very ambiguous at all. If you say something sucks, its exactly that, not middle of the road, sort of ok, good, whatever.

I actually believe that the people who say particular rides 'suck' probably don't think too badly of them at the end of the day, and no body is going to come out and say that they like something after dropping the 's' bomb, because they'd get given so much **** for chaning their opinion.

I also think a lot of these lengthy debates wouldn't exist if people just said what they really thought, instead of exaggerating, or being unreasonably harsh just to win an argument.

Snoo

The Legend
Mike T said:
Saying a ride like Diamondback is going to suck before the thing is even open is the exact reason so many parks dislike enthusiasts. It makes you look like a spoiled brat and it reflects on others. I sincerely hope that this ride isn't being viewed as all about airtime by the majority of the folks who've seen the ride, because it's almost a slap in the face to judge it based on those characteristics alone...

Aww.. pardon big bad Snoo for judging a ride by how it looks. We are NEVER allowed to have our own opinions anymore!

Give me a break Mike, I will do as I please, if you like it or not or if a park likes it or not. I've been posting like this for ages and I've say it the same way forever. Saying it 'sucks' does NOT mean it will be terrible.

For instance, I say MF sucks all the time.. the big pile of rotting 310ft crap.. yet its my #19?

Hmm..

UC explained the rest..

Mike, sit down and quit your whining.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't think I'll ever understand how people are allowed to ass-kiss rides all they want, but the moment anyone expresses dissent, there are three to six people all over them.
+1

We all judge and we all judge wrongly sometimes. Like I continually stick up for, there is no problem with being prejudgemental as long as with it comes a willingness to be open minded. Because of the nature of our enthusiasm, we have to be open minded because part of the interest is riding new rides - good or bad. In theory, you're going to ride it anyway (one day) so being dismissive or enthusiastic about it isn't harmful either way.

At least if you're dismissive, and it's actually good, you'are pleasantly surprised.

I was really prejudgemental about Black Mamba. Come on, everyone says it sucks except for those who opening-year bummed it high onto Mitch's poll and specifically compared it to Nemesis cuz it has, oooo... Trenches! It dropped the year after, which is a really sure way of saying "this ride blows, we over-hyped it, oops". But I thought it was awesome when I did come to ride it.

You don't watch a trailer and go "IM NOT GOING TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT BEFORE I SEE IT" and waste your £7 or so watching a film that if you hadn't been so stupid you'd have come to the conclusion that it is highly unlikely that you'd enjoy it. Sure, you may have been wrong, and when it comes on TV years later and you actually get into it it's awesome, but that doesn't mean you were wrong to judge and that you'll never judge a book by it's cover again.

I do think this thing looks fab, though. I ain't studied the layout nor have I been on a good B&M mega to have a valid judgement even if I did, because based on the one I have ridden, they all must suck. But the logo, name, branding and colours for this thing have won me over. I think visually, it's a really wonderful surprise.

Gazza

Giga Poster
^^Well, that does clear things up a bit. I know you guys have been around a while, but remember, some of us haven't, so it can be hard to keep up with the idiosyncrasies of how every one posts (Especially if you don't know them in person). I mean, if you were saying your #19 is **** (and hence all rides below it) then you need to remember that someone could miss the sarcasm/exaggeration, and just see you as a whinger in general.
How can you really know when somebody thinks something "suck sucks", or "Not bad sucks",

The gist of my previous post is that people should be fair dinkum in what they are saying, given anybody is reading it. Of course, there is nothing stopping you from being as harsh as you want (Because yes, it is fun to rant sometimes) but just think about the impression people are going to get.

I probably should clarify my thoughts on this ride.
But I can see why people might not be getting to excited about this, as it has been done before. Of course, if you were a local to the park then the story would be quite different, given any new hyper is a good thing.

I guess this comes back to that whole contradiction thing, of course, you can sit back and say its nothing special, but still, when you are riding it you would no doubt be enjoying yourself.

but don't sit back and attempt to dismantle his argument by whining about the way he said it
Says UC.... nah, just mucking around there.