What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
My PTR of the Media Day yesterday for Diamondback will be up today.

Included will be pictures of the announcement, Coaster Dynamix model, and a behind the scenes construction tour.

I would have gotten it up yesterday but I frankly passed out as soon as I got home! :razz:

Diamondback looks like it will be a great, fun coaster.

Though it is shorter than other B&M Hypers, it is a sure win for Kings Island, and a very eye pleasing coaster as well.

Also...I totally called the two-toned supports! :razz:

Lift hill colours = No.
Rest = Like it!

I agree! I didn't think they would actually go with the two tone supports, but I guess I was wrong. The lift hill colours are annoying because again, they're McDonalds colours, but the rest is pretty nice.

As for the name, it's pretty good; at least they went with Diamondback instead of Anaconda or King Cobra! I also like the logo.

The layout seems decent; seems to be on par with Behemoth. Hopefully this one isn't killed by the MCBR, and also, I hope it doesn't have sixty three million trims.

5 hills? That's all?

Behemoth only has five hills, and it is getting good reviews.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It looks hot.

Very hot.

I hope that it is as good as Behemoth seems to be. If it is then it will be another great coaster for Kings Island.

As for the colours and trains, I think the snake head looks cool, and the colours are just more annoying than anything.

Yeah, but the majority of Behemoth's hills are big hills. This thing has three big hills and then two tiny bunny hops.

Small hills usually give more airtime than the big ones though. The bigger ones are more thrilling, but this seems to have a decent amount of hills, really.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I would imagine the terrain could be a reason for the smaller layout, as the hammerhead turn and helix sit on top of a hill while there is a ravine which gaps between there to Crypt's location.

There are similar ravines sloping from the hammerhead/helix's hill in all directions.

Maybe with a larger layout the construction costs would have been greater to the point of it not being worth the addition of more airtime hills.

Steve, we all know how much you dislike most hyper coasters anyway, so you coming in here and slamming it is not a surprise to anyone.

I know what you mean about five hills not being a lot, but like I said, Behemoth has five and is apparantly a great ride, and according to Brian, it's better than Georgia's Goliath. So just because it doesn't have a lot of hills doesn't mean it won't be as good as the ones with more hills. The terrain interaction could easily make up for the lack of hills.

At least La Ronde's Goliath and AC TRY to make up for lack of strong airtime with alot of hills...

So the boredom of floater is dragged on for you over those few extra hills.

To be honest though, I'd prefer two airtime hills with super strong airtime, than ten with boring airtime.

Either way, the way you dis Nitro and stuff, as well as a few of the other B&M Hypers is old; you go around here doing it all the time, so it's nothing new.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I really don't care if the airtime is strong or not, just as long as it is SUSTAINED. Behemoth's airtime is around for at least three seconds on every hill. I'm hoping this will have some awesome sustained airtime on these hills, especially in front and in back.

The ride looks great. I'm not surprised, but the layout is great. I only noticed one trim and hopefully that's a nice headchopper on that fourth hill.

The zero car on the train looks pretty sweet.

I'll post some pictures when I get back next week.

Give me a ride that really trys to keep the pace up, and I'm happy. Hence, AC and LR Goliath are good for me, whereas stuff like Nitro isn't.

Um, Nitro has seven hills.

Alright, so I guess the following will never be mentioned again:

Mean Streak
SLCs
Boomerangs
Villain
Mantis
Disaster Transport

It is old; too many people put down the same rides over and over again, and I'm not saying I am not guilty of putting down rides, but I don't constantly put down the same thing time and time again.

UC, I don't like the fact I accused you of something with no sound reasoning behind other than the fact I just wanted to go after you because you don't worship Diamondback like I do.

I don't try to go after you; I post what I feel is necessary to post, and I also don't worship Diamondback. I think it will be on the better side of average, but nothing special. I know when I "go after you" I don't "win", but there really isn't winning on forums. I also know many people think I post like garbage, but the thing is, I like posting on CoasterForce, whether or not I make a whole lot of sense or good arguments. I enjoy talking about coasters like pretty much everyone on here does, so just because you say I post like garbage doesn't mean I want to or should stop posting.

I merely said that you should either start putting some content into your posts, or learn to deal with the fact that people aren't going to see a whole lot of sense in the things you say. Posting crap and then whining when you have to answer for it just makes you look like a tool.

I try to put as much content in my posts as possible, sorry if it doesn't live up to what people want.

I will also mention that unlike Nitro, it doesn't waste your time with "turn" hills (banked turn built into the top). It's pure, straight hills, just like LR's Goliath.

Well, as far as I remember, I got the same amount of airtime from Nitro's curved hills than the straight ones.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The only other B&M coaster to feature the same train design, Behemoth? :lol:

Also, there is now a video online of the Coaster Dynamix model which was unveiled at the announcement. The model took two weeks to construct.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQAlVYa3aJE&eurl=http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm[/youtube]

Also there is a webcam set up on the construction site. I knew the Eiffel Tower would come in handy sometime! :wink:

http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/dow ... webcam.cfm

scan

Mega Poster
Awsome model! anyway the coaster is looking very good, I like the idea of the water splash, also loving the hammerhead turn. The first drop looks exactly the same as behemoths with the track curving slighly to the right.