What's new

Derren Brown

Ollie

CF Legend
^How could you predict the video clip?
I mean he mentioned McFly at the start but how can you work out from that a video projection of the band would appear and play a custom song about the outcome of the pictures? :p

When I was there in the theatre I saw the letters on the side of the stage. But on the TV show you don't get to see it as much as the camera rarely does a wide shot of the whole stage long enough to put it together.

I reckon this was the best stage show as his others are mainly just writing down numbers and predicting things written on paper whereas this one had a lot more audience participation and with things like putting the body between two chairs and making that girl sleep walk and drink vinegar was something a bit different.

Also with the spirit cabinet people were saying that they saw someone move behind. I can assure you that watching the show up in the dress circle you could see the whole stage and there was noone there. Don't forget they put the audience members on stage so you could see all 4 sides of the cabinet as well.

I love seeing Derren enjoy himself as well. When one of his tricks goes well and he gets a great reaction it's nice to see him genuinely pleased with himself and loving what he does for a living. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Shut up. I'm too ugly for TV obviously.

For those who don't know they showed a couple of shots or where we were sitting. Except they showed my brother Richard who was sat next to me but cut me out the frame. :(

163607_1783505024487_1145311439_2139536_3275368_n.jpg

That's Richard on the right with his hands over his mouth when he saw the girl drink vinegar.

kimahri

CF Legend
I am uninteresten in this so I felt the need to tell you that i have a paper clip at work shapws like a plane.

Srys

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I missed it due to having to supervise some paint drying.

jayjay

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
I am uninteresten in this so I felt the need to tell you that i have a paper clip at work shapws like a plane.

Srys

I got 4 free from a careers fair :p

Derren Brown used to impress me a lot, but in his more recent shows, he's come across as being too big. I didn't watch the stuff tonight mostly because I couldn't be bothered.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
For fairness (and because I was bored) I watched Enigma and the documentary about him.

I thought Enigma was the weakest of his live shows. It was just like Paul Daniels (without the lovely Debbie McGee) mixed with a university circuit hypnotist show. He's gone backwards in my eyes... Or maybe it's just because he's repeating the same old stuff in a different way? Yes Derren, we know you know the answer...

The documentary wasn't very interesting. He's actually quite dull. He's not the same "twat" he has come across as his on stage persona, so it's good that he isn't like that all the time; it is just an act.

It was really just a few famous people going "oooh, isn't he clever, greatest stage magician of our time, etc, etc," and him going "I'll give you vague glimpses of my life, but not really enough at all to be interesting".

I just don't know if he's run his course really. His early stuff was light, amusing and very clever. Now we know he's clever and his stuff isn't light and amusing any more.

He's split now between the "magic act" on stage, and the "social manipulation" of his "specials". Neither of which are as impressive as when both were mixed (like Seance).

He's also not confrontational enough. He did the series debunking "fraudsters". I think that the research he does and the knowledge he has of the "tricks of the trade" and the workings of the mind is superb. He's got enough ammunition to destroy these people, but he just backs down all the time. He'll hint and suggest they're not genuine, but never outright argue and try to prove himself right. It's all too wet and namby-pamby. I guess again it does show he's not the arrogant facial haired little oik his act shows him as; but it doesn't do him any favours either.

So, all in all, a great big MEH. For the Enigma show, for the documentary, for his personalities and for his TV work over the last three or four years.

I think he should step back for a while now and either just tour, or take a lot of time off to think about how to get back to his roots, or how to really push and shock/wow people again.

Lain

Giga Poster
I found the Enigma show quite entertaining. Yeah, some of the stuff he does is similar to older stuff he's done, but it was still mind-blowing stuff.

I can only conclude that Mr. Brown is a wizard.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
Debbie McGee

The punchline to my favourite childhood joke:

What's tall and blond with a little, bald c**t?

furie said:
He's also not confrontational enough. He did the series debunking "fraudsters". I think that the research he does and the knowledge he has of the "tricks of the trade" and the workings of the mind is superb. He's got enough ammunition to destroy these people, but he just backs down all the time.

I'm not sure if it's been on TV over here, but Penn & Teller do an excellent show called "Bulls**t", some episodes of which deal with the same sorts of people and in a much better way. I'd recommed them over Derren Brown any day.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
I'm not sure if it's been on TV over here, but Penn & Teller do an excellent show called "Bulls**t", some episodes of which deal with the same sorts of people and in a much better way. I'd recommed them over Derren Brown any day.

Yep, I've seen a lot of those and I much prefer Penn & Teller's approach.