What's new

Derren Brown

Ollie

CF Legend
Might as well make a topic about it seeing as everyone's been talking about it today. It was funny last night reading everyone's Facebook and Twitter updates after he did it. :lol:
For those that don't know what he did he predicted the Lotto numbers and went on TV live.

Here's a video of it in case you missed it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-5qebwflA[/youtube]

I've been watching a bit of Derren Brown lately, mostly of his shows he did on stage around the UK. It's really interesting to see how people react and when he tells you what he looks out for in peoples reactions.
Anyway what did you think of last nights show?

I obviously don't belive for a second he predicted it as it's impossible and I also have a pretty good idea how he did it. Will be interesting to watch on Friday.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
He's really good at his work, and his communication with the audience is fascinating. I am going to be watching on Friday because I don't think for a second his technique was as simple as it felt.

The man wouldn't perform such a trick on TV if it was so amazingly simple! {I don't think}

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Was good last night. I bet there has to be some sort of mathmatical way of getting the balls though I think. He says he studied the balls for about a year? Yeah.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZdnCQcbsu8[/youtube]

If you watch this, it shows you the numbers on the lampost, this advert has been out for a good few weeks. He has been showing everyone for numbers for a while, so effectively, people could have used these to win the lottery last night.

The bus also has the lottery logo and the words "It will be you".

Mike

Giga Poster
The man wouldn't perform such a trick on TV if it was so amazingly simple!

Isn't that what magic/trickery is though?
The majority of tricks are very simple, but only if you know how to do them.

Derren Brown is quite amazing in my opinion.
Very entertaining, and I reckon he would be a great poker player. :p

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
The numbers on the lamp-post are not the numbers that he predicted nor the numbers in the lottery draw last night. :p

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Mike said:
The man wouldn't perform such a trick on TV if it was so amazingly simple!
Isn't that what magic/trickery is though?
The majority of tricks are very simple, but only if you know how to do them.

What I mean Mike, if all Derren Brown did was simply swap the balls round as the lottery was broadcast, it wouldnt have been broadcast & hyped on TV.

If it was that simple, it wouldnt have been done.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Derren Brown is probably the only person who I'd like to say is my idol. I love him and all his work.

I'm interested to see how he pulled off last nights tick, and trust me, it's a trick. Will be watching in my Travelodge room tomorrow :D

I do think it's to do with the ad though...

Ollie

CF Legend
The first time I watched this it was total mind **** but then because I was watching it on the PC I played it again and it spoilt the trick. :(
In case you don't know throughout the whole show he had a banana on a stand and said that a man in a gorilla suit would walk on and take it and no-one would notice it happen. It worked and he said he would do it again and this is what happened.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FUHJgMAbbQ[/youtube]

And just now I've finished watching his 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' show. At the end it was fantastic and you thought there was no way he could of done that but then he showed you all these phrases and words he'd been using the whole show to make people decide certain things and it was really obvious but extremely clever.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I've seen that about 5 times xD Amazing shows, both of them. Would love to be able to see live, but none of his shows seem to come my way :(

Newspaper can be deceiving, ey Ollie ;)

Truly, one of the people I would kill to meet :D

mrclam

Giga Poster
The lottery balls thing is an obvious camera trick, the left hand side of the image is showing static image from earlier. This is made more obvious by the fact the camera is filming him in a "shakey cam" style to try to trick you into thinking that's exactly NOT what he's doing.

But the big reveal in derren brown style will be a load of made up garbage about hypnotism and stuff - just to make it more complicated than it really is.

EDIT: Here, just found this - i'll let this dude explain it better than i can in words.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAt2akPHJ8[/youtube]

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ That is probably what he did. Then somebody changed the numbers. That's what I thought last night.

Will find out tomorrow...

Ollie

CF Legend
It's obviously not going to be real or millions of people will be winning the jackpot every week from now on. If you listen he never actually said he'll tell you how to win the lottery. Just showing you how he did what he did. That's why he didn't win either because he didn't know the numbers before they came up. Noone can.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'm not so sure. The draw was still valid, so any rigging wouldn't have worked. I honestly have no idea how he did it, and I will be watching tomorrow to find out.

Derren Brown is very clever and I do like the stuff he does. He used to give talks in school before he was really famous and would often trick teachers and pupils into doing/saying or even thinking things. He also did the usual array of magic that he performs. One of our English teachers met him once, and somehow managed to get him to come in a couple of times. After all, he is an ex-Bristol Uni. student.

By far the best thing, or the smartest thing, I've seen him do is the Chess match again 9 grandmasters. That really is ingenious. Most of his stuff is just so cleverly thought out and planned. That's what makes it so good. No-one else would go to the hassle or the lengths that he goes to, so his stuff is always impressive.

Derren Brown is a bit of a legend.

nealbie

CF Legend
It is I suppose possible to work out a pattern of balls. Yes, such a system would severely increase the odds of winning. But there'd still be room for error.

I want to believe he did it like that, but I highly doubt it :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I do remember reading somewhere that they had made a computer program that would calculate most of the physics involved. Then analyse that against the total number of possibilities and then it could select the one that was most probable due to the physics. It reduced it down to a couple of thousand draws. I don't know what they did afterwards. Not that that really makes any difference to this, I somehow don't think he 'brute-forced' it.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Darren Brown has always said that all that he does is illusions and tricks of the mind, and not magic. He does not believe there is such thing as magic.

Therefore, this was a trick, and can be easily proved.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Oh come on people!

This is a simple camera trick!

Nothing more nothing less.

OF course on his "reveal" show he'll talk about how he did it via meditation and all that sort of garbage - like he always does.. But the reality is camera trick, nothing more - nothing less.