What's new

College and Classes

reddude333

Giga Poster
I'm sure I'm not the only CFer currently in college and I so I was thinking today, I wonder where other CFers go to school and what classes they are taking. What are their majors? I thought there should be a place to discuss college and tertiary education. I guess I'll get the ball rolling with myself.

College: California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly)
Year: 2nd
Concentration/major: Mechanical Engineering
Classes this quarter/semester: Statics, General Chemistry II, Linear Analysis II, Programming in C
Aspirations: work as mechanical engineer for a coaster developer, top picks would be Intamin AG, Great Coasters International (GCI), and Bolliger and Mabillard (B&M)

Feel free to post whatever you feel comfortable sharing. I'd love to see what other CFers are up to.

Snoo

The Legend
I graduated from Tiffin University in 2010 with a major in Marketing and a minor in Computer Information and Technology.

I now work at a Dupont.

**** you economy. :p

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm a Senior at Kansas State University and will be getting my B.S. in History in May.
Currently taking: Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, History of the South, History of Ancient Intellectual China, and Philosophy of Politics in Society.
Next semester: History of the US since 1945, Introduction of Human Anthropology w/lab, History of Islam, Seminar class on Colonial America, Archery, Golf, Human Geography, and Germany and its Nazi past. 21 hours next semester.

At first I was at the University of Western Ontario for nursing, then I switched to the University of Windsor and am getting a major in history and a minor in German culture and civilization.

I'm in my first year of the program but second year of university as a whole and I really want to work abroad somewhere, not exactly sure where yet.

Classes this semester: Prewar Cinema History (which I've attended about five times), Past to Present: Understanding History, German Civilization 1800-Present, Italian/Spanish/German Literature, Foundations of Academic Writing

Ben

CF Legend
Modern.

I primarily focused on Eastern Europe (Russia, Germany, Yugoslavia etc) in the 20th Century. It was pretty fab, but, I won't use the actual content ever again. I will use the skills though <3

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
College: Michigan Technological University
Year: 1st
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Semester Classes: Calculus 1, University Chemistry 1, Perspectives, Chemistry Lab, Physics Lab, Engineering Fundamentals

So far, I'm enjoying my first semester. I've been staying on top of everything so far and I've been having a great time up here.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I did an honours degree in Information Systems, with focus on Human Computer Interfaces and designs, Design Methodologies, Networking and Management bull ****.

In computing terms, it was back in the stone age and utterly irrelevant now (hell, the year I started, the world wide web didn't exist :lol: ).

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
furie said:
I did an honours degree in Information Systems, with focus on Human Computer Interfaces and designs, Design Methodologies, Networking and Management bull ****.

In computing terms, it was back in the stone age and utterly irrelevant now (hell, the year I started, the world wide web didn't exist :lol: ).

That's a nice story Grandpa. :wink: . It's strange imagining a time before the Internet. I remember bulky old CRT monitors and using Windows 95 at primary school. Such huge technological advances in such a short space of time.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
University: University of Sheffield
Year: 2nd
Course: Mechanical Engineering [with a year in North America] (MEng)
Modules: Electric Circuits, Mathematics for Engineering Modelling, Mechanics of Deformable Solids, Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics of Mixtures, Design of Engineering Structures and Components, Management Practice for Engineers

Urgh. :p

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Yeah, six classes is quite a heavy load. Quarter or semester system? This quarter is the first that I have less than 5 classes.

Good to see a couple other ME students on here. That's the way to go :)

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
University: Carleton University (Ottawa)
Year: 1st year
Concentration/major: Computer Science, Application Development
Classes this quarter/semester: Computer Science 1, Discrete Structures, Elementary Calculus 1, Intro. to Economics, Europe in the 20th century.
Aspirations: Building Apps for Apple or RIM.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
reddude333 said:
^Yeah, six classes is quite a heavy load. Quarter or semester system? This quarter is the first that I have less than 5 classes.

Good to see a couple other ME students on here. That's the way to go :)
This semester. I sit 4 or 5 exams in January/Feb, then start another six modules in the Spring semester for exams in June. I think that's how most uni's work over here.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I'm on quarters so everything is much different. Our classes are categorized by how many hours we are in class weekly (hours ≈ units). So I'm taking 14 units (relatively light load) but normally I would take a couple more meaning at least one more class.

How about others? How are your classes set up?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Ours are a units/credits based system too. 10hour=1credit (I think). Most modules are 10 credit modules, and you must try to total 120credits by the end of the year. My management one is a 20credit module, which means it's continued over the whole year. If that kinda makes sense? Later on I think there are coursework modules that go up to 30-40credtis each.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Huh, that seems odd. I don't really think I get it. So you are saying that you take 1200 hours of class per year? Does that mean you go to school year-round? Otherwise that's about 40 hours of class per week...

As for us, we have approximately 1 hour per unit (unless it's a lab class in which every three hours is one unit) and for mechanical engineering I need to take 189-199 units to graduate with most classes being 3 or 4 units and the occasional 1 or 2 unit classes.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No, it's 40 hours of study per week. Not all in lectures. My current timetable is about 18 hours of 'contact-time' (ie. lectures, tutorials, labs), so I'm supposed to do around 22 hours private study a week. Whether I actually do that much is a different topic altogether. ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I study Film, yaaaaayyyy =D

It's actually more like an English Literature degree in terms of how and what you study. And it's a ton of researching/essay writing. Which is OK by me.

I'm hoping to go on to do an MA in PR.