What's new

Clappers

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As it's been mentioned, it's an American thing.

"Welcome back riders, how was your riiiiiiiiide?"

"AWESOME!" *cheers*

I find clapping and whatnot a bit cheesey so I rarely join in.

The only time I tend to join in is during an ERT session when a park has kindly given us run of a ride, but that's more to appreciate the park and it's staff rather than the ride itself.

A

Anonymous

Sometimes when its a new coaster, everyone claps as it leaves the station, I sometimes do that, but I dont think I have clapped when the coaster comes back into the station.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
It looks a bit retarded in UK parks as everybody is half depressed and completely unenthused. Everybody would be like, "WTF, you twat, Calm down... its a dam ride." if you did it.

Americans (well, CP anyway) have the ability to retain enthusiasm no matter what, somehow. So it seems more normal over there.

The only time I've cheered is on Saw first ride (management and a croud watching) and say Mille (because it was amazing on the first run) or TTD (because we were first riders of the day).

Mike

Giga Poster
Tim said:
It annoys you?

The sound of people having a good time annoys you?

Geez, what a bunch of grumpy Englishmen. No wonder American and European parks are more fun to visit- there's a far better audience attitude and atmosphere

I agree with this (well, apart from the American parks having more atmosphere, as 90% of Cedar Fair parks have no atmosphere whatsoever and are mainly just concrete jungles), and would have made a similar post if you had not done so already.

I've heard people clap at the end of numerous rides in the UK. If it's a ride I liked, then I will join in. No, it doesn't annoy me.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I've only experienced clapping/cheering when coasters have broken down and the staff annouce that the ride's back in operation :)

jokerman

Giga Poster
I try not to, because it annoys me when others do it. I might have done it out of sheer amazement after my first time on stealth, other than that, no.

The only times I hate it more are after films at the cinema and after a plane lands.

Dave

CF Legend
Ian said:
The only time I tend to join in is during an ERT session when a park has kindly given us run of a ride, but that's more to appreciate the park and it's staff rather than the ride itself.

Yeah that's the only time I think I've clapped for a ride.

^ Seriously? I've been on four planes, and every single time they were a bunch of clappers :p . I definitely clapped like crazy coming back from the Dominican Republic because I thought I was gonna die even though it was a very smooth flight, but it was good to be home and know I made it back alive :p .

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I've had clappers on a plane once. We had bad turbulance and the pilot made an attempt to stop it within about 6 foot, how the tyres survived I don't know, but people clapped for some reason. I understand if we had nearly died, but we only had turbulance and an over-enthusiastic stop. :?

Jake

Strata Poster
Clapping after a coaster, along with clapping when a flight lands, are two fine cases I'd happily put forward for the reinstatement of capital punishment.

Snoo

The Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Seriously? I've been on four planes, and every single time they were a bunch of clappers :p . I definitely clapped like crazy coming back from the Dominican Republic because I thought I was gonna die even though it was a very smooth flight, but it was good to be home and know I made it back alive :p .

Stupid Canadians. Been on dozens of flights.. never ONCE heard a clap.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I've only heard clapping on planes twice. The first was when I landed in Denver in the middle of a blizzard (and anyone who's flown into Denver knows it's bad enough in the calmest of weather) and the second was when I landed in Nassau, Bahamas in the middle of a massive thunderstorm. The pilot was adjusting and slightly turning as we were over the runway.

I don't think I've ever heard clapping on a coaster, though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
In Canada, they still believe flying is done by magic, and the pilot is actually a magician. So they give him a round of applause for a great show :p

I'm sure I've been involved in some coaster clapping... Though it was linked with ERT and a way of saying thanks to the organisers.

I suspect I may have done some on Lightning Racer though, but that was because there were some others we seemed to end up racing against (not just the minors) and it was a friendly kind of thing between competitors...

M_Force_4_ever

Roller Poster
I don't usually clap on coasters unless I really enjoyed it or the crew is really rallying to get the riders excited. But it doesn't annoy me to hear people clapping, although on certain coasters it makes me wonder "why are you clapping for that?" Although I do think it's a completely appropriate response to riding a coaster. As for airplanes I've only had that happen once on a flight and it was because we were going to Orlando and there was turbulence and most of the little kids had probably never flown before, so it was kind of cute.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I clap after most coasters in america just to see if it catches on.

Sometimes it's hillarious how carried away people get once you instigate the celebration.

Rush

Giga Poster
divvie_dave said:
Whats even more annoying.... clapping after a 3D/4D attraction.... Its just some guy pressing play :p

Hmmm... I don't know... I think I almost broke into applause at the end of Curse of DarKastle. :wink:

Jake

Strata Poster
^ True, DarKastle is pretty amazing. The bit that scared me the most is when all the knives, forks and other various assorted cutlery gets thrown at you!

Brilliant.