What's new

Clappers

RCF

Strata Poster
I was thinking about this earlier and my sister mentioned it after riding Mr. Freeze. I'm sure everyone has experienced people clapping after a certain ride.. Does this annoy you at all, especially when it's on a ride that's really bad and people still clap?

I do think clapping on a coaster is quite pointless but only if it's super duper mother****ing awesome then MAYBE I'll clap, but usually no.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I clap during/after a show, concert or performance but never after a ride or movie (which is just as ridiculous).

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Glad to hear I'm not the only enthusiast that doesn't clap after a coaster...

It doesn't annoy me, but no, I don't.

Ollie

CF Legend
If the ride is amazing then I have done but usually no. It annoys me on American coaster programs and stuff when it seems after every single coaster they're clapping and wooping. :x

Last yeah I think they only coasters I did it on was Piraten and Fluch von Novgorod but then everyone from CF did so because they were both amazing. :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Can't say that I clapped for those rides Ollie, but if I did it would be for appreciation of the crew working the ERT & not for the ride itself.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's SUCH an American thing to clap when the ride is over... (Based on my experiences on rides in America where most of the time people end up clapping at the end)...

Annoys the hell out of me...

So no, I don't clap...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nemesis Inferno said:
It's SUCH an American thing to clap when the ride is over... (Based on my experiences on rides in America where most of the time people end up clapping at the end)...

Annoys the hell out of me...

So no, I don't clap...
I think I agree with this.

I don't clap, but I can see a situation where I might clap at the end. For example, first public ride on a new (epic) coaster then I might well clap. But for the most part I don't.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Clapping is sometimes done as a sign of relief that they got through the coaster. It happens in a lot of other places too, like on planes just after they land. Mainly a lot with Italians and southern Polish. So just don't think its just on coasters you get them!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mushroom said:
It happens in a lot of other places too, like on planes just after they land.
Don't do that either. What the hell for? It makes no sense. Are they clapping because they're glad to still be alive or something? If so, then maybe they shouldn't fly. :roll:

nadroJ

CF Legend
I remember the March Live '09, Thorpe and Paultons, after a really crap day at Thorpe we had an amazing day at Paultons and because of this the park received a random round of applause, which I did join in with.

Like has been said, I don't think I ever clap the ride itself, but it's something people tend to do if they've really enjoyed something so yh, occassionally.

Tim

Roller Poster
It annoys you?

The sound of people having a good time annoys you?

Geez, what a bunch of grumpy Englishmen. No wonder American and European parks are more fun to visit- there's a far better audience attitude and atmosphere

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ yeah jeez, this makes you sound grumpy, are you one of those people that hates people screaming on coasters too?

I don't mind whatever people decided to do.

... Although I did see a POV of thirteen with a man going "it's going to drop now!!!! it's going to drop now, now it's going to drop!!" haha that woulda annoyed me.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Oh god they do this throughout the USA?

Whilst It doesn't bother me, I had assumed it was something that only really happened at places like Orlando.

But, no, the entire USA is an exaggeration of the mediocre to the OMG AWESOME?

I find the friendliness and over the topness of the USA uncomfortable at times. I don't want cashiers to have a convo with me in shops. It's creepy.

It just goes to show how different the US and the UK are. We are, indeed, miserable sods here... and maybe it's better to be "fake", but it's still hard to grasp if you've been brought up here.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
I have done it,mainly whilst at Cedar Point,everybody else was clapping on virtually every coaster,so didn't want to look like a plum by not joining in.

Although,I've done it over here too,if I've really enjoyed something,I break into spontaneous clapping. :oops:

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
I don't clap on coasters, instead I ask if I can go around one more time. cool)

I thought this topic was gonna be about catching the clap :lol:

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Opening day, or opening weekend of a brand new coaster, it makes sense to me.

If the ride was really good, I don't mind some applause, and have joined in.

It lets the brass that's usually hanging around for these openings know that the new attraction is good, and/or appreciated.

andrus

Giga Poster
I do clap occasionaly when a ride is really good. I guess it's a combination of sheer excitement and appreciation for the ride. And if the ride ops can hear it the clapping is only a good thing cuz then the park/staff know that they've done a great job!

It happens in a lot of other places too, like on planes just after they land.

LOL, you bet I clapped when my plane landed, and it WAS because I was happy to be alive.

On a coaster, I rarely clap, but I have to say I'm guilty of it a few times. Usually it's just a "woo" though.