What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So to put this rumor out there - there has been discussion on the prospect of Cedar Point connecting a pathway from the Mean Streak entrance to the Gemini area.

Mean Streak's greatest limitation from Day 1 has been having its access across a railroad crossing for the Cedar Point R&R. Presently, there is maintenance driving path behind the Frontier Town vendor buildings, of which you can glance from the backside when riding the train from the Frontier Station, just before you enter the Boneville animatronics.
1.jpg
By building an access pathway from Mean Streak to Gemini, visitors could traverse to Mean Streak without the need to cross the railroad tracks (twice if you are approaching from the Gemini Midway). The biggest challenge with this would be laying the pathway, and also figuring out how to unobtrusively allow guests to walk the path without disrupting the Boneville area. (Of course, the train's Boneville theme has been desecrated gradually over the years - however Cedar Point still puts forth effort to maintain this one theming point of the park).
2.jpg
Again, this is a rumor with no confirmation. Most likely Cedar Point fanboys shooting the breeze in between photo updates.

Stevenr296

Roller Poster
Last edited by a moderator:

KJ7500

Roller Poster
So to put this rumor out there - there has been discussion on the prospect of Cedar Point connecting a pathway from the Mean Streak entrance to the Gemini area.

Mean Streak's greatest limitation from Day 1 has been having its access across a railroad crossing for the Cedar Point R&R. Presently, there is maintenance driving path behind the Frontier Town vendor buildings, of which you can glance from the backside when riding the train from the Frontier Station, just before you enter the Boneville animatronics.
By building an access pathway from Mean Streak to Gemini, visitors could traverse to Mean Streak without the need to cross the railroad tracks (twice if you are approaching from the Gemini Midway). The biggest challenge with this would be laying the pathway, and also figuring out how to unobtrusively allow guests to walk the path without disrupting the Boneville area. (Of course, the train's Boneville theme has been desecrated gradually over the years - however Cedar Point still puts forth effort to maintain this one theming point of the park).
Again, this is a rumor with no confirmation. Most likely Cedar Point fanboys shooting the breeze in between photo updates.
Having that annoying dead end at Blue Streak loop back around to the main midway under Valravn was a great improvement so it stands to reason CP would want to do something similar with Mean Streak

LightDark18

Roller Poster
So we're twisting as we ascend the "under the lift hill" element AND a possible zero-g roll as the actual element under the hill? Are we talking two back-to-back inversions? Why isn't it 2018 yet?

Barrett

Roller Poster
So we're twisting as we ascend the "under the lift hill" element AND a possible zero-g roll as the actual element under the hill? Are we talking two back-to-back inversions? Why isn't it 2018 yet?
I agree with you here and it will be somewhat similar to the horseshoe element on Maverick. Only difference is it will be a mirror image of the horseshoe (as in direction), it will be well above the ground (90-100ft or so), and it will be a wooden coaster/hybrid inversion(s) as opposed to steel. I know a horseshoe is two inversions, but I guess it counts as only one element? Ughh I'm thinking way too much into this and it's making my head hurt!

balrog

Mega Poster
Can someone familiar with Mean Streak explain where/what in the layout Stevenr296's last pictures correspond to ? I am completely lost.

Barrett : people usually count inversions, but not elements, as elements can be composed or decomposed into others. So "count as one element" is not really well defined.

Last edited:

Astro61201

Roller Poster
To me the inversion looks more akin to an inline twist, than a zero-g roll type element, it just looks rather flat tbh, will probably still ride brilliantly though.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
An inline twist is an element that twists 360* round in a straight line, with no alterations to body weight/G force. Your body flops about as the train rotates through the element. A zero G roll is a roll taken at '0G', it doesn't have to be a particular shape, just as long as the element is taken at 0G. Your body doesn't flop about as you're weightless, or near enough. The shaping of this element shows that it will more than likely be taken at 0G, therefore it is the latter rather than the former, despite it's 'inline' appearance.

LightDark18

Roller Poster
So the Mean Streak Updates Twitter page, in response to a guy on their most recent post (which is a not-much-better picture of the inversion), stated that the ride will be ready by Opening Day 2018. If Tony Clark is the runner of the page, I think it's pretty safe to say that we won't be seeing a HalloWeekends soft open. Kinda irritated about it, but I understand.

Side note: Curious to see what the GP will think about this ride during the 2017 season. How many of them will think that the coaster is finished based on the new track they'll see and immediately try to go through the old Mean Streak entrance? :emoji_grin:

Sythe

Mega Poster
^ I mean... It's kinda obvious they wouldn't open it up for HalloWeekends. I can't think of one time that a park has ever done that type of thing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LightDark18

Roller Poster
^ I mean... It's kinda obvious they wouldn't open it up for HalloWeekends. I can't think of one time that a park has ever done that type of thing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
You're not wrong, but I've always been skeptical of RMC taking a year and a half just to finish the track. Maverick was one thing because the land sat empty all through the 2006 season, but RMC just has to build some new wood supports and put in track. Yeah, they've definitely took their time during the winter, but the work never seemed that difficult that they purposefully would wait until 2018.

I know that Cedar Point kept Mean Streak off their 2017 list to promote Cedar Point Shores, but in this case, it would've worked out probably just as good for RMC to not show up until the end of the 2017 season (not to say I'm not enjoying all the teasing and updates, but it just makes more sense as a business decision).

KJ7500

Roller Poster
I was the guy they replied to. After promising it would be ready for Opening Day 2018, they added this in another tweet. I would take it with a pretty huge grain of salt...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-30-19-46-43.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-30-19-46-43.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 99