What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

BigBad

Mega Poster
I would expect this next May, though I'm confused by the construction timeline. It does seem like they'll be finished over the summer.

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
I could see them opening the ride if it were going to be done in June or July but there is absolutely no way they would open it for a few weeks in Sept and October just to shut it down again. With it being ready on opening day 2018 that gives them the entire off-season to advertise the biggest rmc conversion to date at what is considered the best rollercoaster park in the world by most. That's an awful lot of publicity and anticipation leading to near record attendance numbers. As far as the mean streak update twitter. There is no way that that isn't Tony Clark or at least authorized by him. If it were anyone else it would be either an employee or contractor and they wouldn't have gotten past the first day without being fired if they weren't already cleared to post those pictures.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It took a year and a half to convert New Texas Giant, which is the same timeline we are looking at with Mean Streak's conversion. So the timeline is perfectly plausible, based on the conversion of Mean Streak's smaller Dinn Corp. cousin.

Spacing out the opening until 2018 will allow Cedar Point to focus all media attention on the conversion/expansion of their waterpark to the new Cedar Point Shores, which in turn would allow Cedar Point plenty of hype-train time towards the end of the season for a most likely ride announcement in the fall.

This also allows Cedar Point some inadvertent hype throughout the course of 2017. Roll the clocks back to season opening 2006; Skyhawk was the new ride. White Water Landing however had been removed during the off-season, with mysterious footers placed in the pond adjacent to Wave Swinger. So while the media was excited for Cedar Point's latest swing attraction... cement footers for a prospective future attraction made equal headlines. Cedar Point began construction on what-would-be Maverick in July of that same season, posting teaser signs, etc. throughout Frontier Town. That way by ride announcement, half of the work was already done for generating excitement and buzz for the new attraction. Dialing the clocks back even further, Millennium Force and TTD both started construction early/mid the season prior to their opening, before announcement.

While enthusiasts already know what is being installed, the general public will not, and will certainly be very excited to see the new track going in, and follow progress/inevitable announcement with bated breath as well.

All of which is to say, this is opening in 2018, with plenty of media hype along the way.

BigBad

Mega Poster
That was the Texas Giant timeline, but RMC has much more experience and more extensive manufacturing than in 2010. The coaster is going up quick, and I don't think another full year would be necessary.

I won't call this a 2017 ride because the marketing would be too bizarre, but something isn't adding up to this being a simple conversion that takes another year.

It could tunnel into Lake Erie; it could have a dueling track; it could have an elaborate MCBR that stops trains, rolls 360 degrees, drops, launches you backwards like Full Throttle, and then launches forward into the rest of the layout; but I can't believe that just doing an Iron Horse conversion will take another year. It's going up too fast.

(No, I'm not predicting a tunnel through the lake, a dueling track, a launch like Full Throttle, or anything else similarly outrageous.)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I know I know, it will be 2018. They wont open it mid/late season.
But just throwing it out there, progress seems rapid. I could see the actual construction being completed sometime this year. Not that they would open it, nor would it even be ready, but yeah is it so crazy to think at this rate they wont at least finish the physical construction during the season?

davidm

Strata Poster
or, progress has been rapid while the park is closed - lots of big construction going on, but will slow down during the season and only pick-up again when the park starts closing during the week towards the end of the season?

Sythe

Mega Poster
^ Exactly. That's what seems to be happening with Hurler. They're doing a little bit of work, but only during the week when the park is closed. Once dailey operations start I doubt they will be doing any more work until September.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
With the park in operation and especially the CPRR running I just can't see them being able to maintain the same rate of completion. Safety concerns of guests and workers could be compromised.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Some upclose shots inside the park from someone filming during their staff orientation.

Mossed

Roller Poster
I expect a lot of track put in this week.

Do people really believe that Twitter account is Tony? I thought it was a running joke.

Tim H

Roller Poster
I expect a lot of track put in this week.

Do people really believe that Twitter account is Tony? I thought it was a running joke.
If it's not then this entire RMC Mean Streak thing is probably the worst kept secret in theme park history.

Mossed

Roller Poster
^ Really? Because none of us know the specs yet. Cedar Point has actually done a great job keeping information under wraps in comparison to GateKeeper and Valravn. There's people leaking photos to Screamscape every week, someone actually emailed me photos one week.. These are of a similar quality to the MeanStreakUpdates Twitter page. The only difference, this guy is capitalizing a couple letters (T C) and misspelling words.

balrog

Mega Poster
The thing is, those capitalised letters are also in the teaser CP released. They are really part of the promotional campain. My guess is, it will be the initials of the ride's name. In any case, the one behind those posts knows a bit more than the average joe.

Sythe

Mega Poster
The thing is, those capitalised letters are also in the teaser CP released. They are really part of the promotional campain. My guess is, it will be the initials of the ride's name. In any case, the one behind those posts knows a bit more than the average joe.
The letters are also the first letters in They're Coming and Tony Clark, so who knows at this point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I will be at the park for Ohio State Day on Friday - we shall see how close I can get to the construction!

LightDark18

Roller Poster
On the note of construction during the season, I agree with the consensus that not a lot will be done, at least on track that is visible within the park.

Throughout the winter, I'm sure that the cranes have been taking up space near the railroad and road around the peninsula, and those obviously need to be running during the year. However, Mean Steak was originally built to have a giant plot of land surrounded by the track. In other words, if you look at an aerial view of Mean Streak, you see track in a distorted oval shape and a giant field in the center (even the long queue doesn't go through this field, it just went under the track).

With this in mind, I predict that work will continue at a similar pace, but track on the "inside" will be worked on. Can RMC finish the under-lift hill element(s) before Saturday? I don't know. However, the low-ground track that isn't visible by park guests can be worked on. Heck, the MCBR could be worked on. If there is one place I recommend looking for this work (besides driving to CP Shores on the peninsula road), it would be to look at Gemini's queue. Instead of walking over the chains on a non-crowded day, you could walk the long queue and get some pretty good views of the MCBR and inside track.