What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
But surely if Cedar Fair didn't want anybody knowing it was going to be a 2017 opening, they could easily tell RMC not to tell anyone, until they're happy for the information to be released?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Glad everyone seems to be accepting what I've been saying for months. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would announce a massive new coaster and completely overshadow the renovation and expansion of CP Shores.

Snoo

The Legend
If they were going to announce, they would have announced already. If they waited until now, it would break the trend of every major addition to the park since forever. Maverick had a similar timeframe and they didn't announce until August of 2006 after WWL closed in mid-late 2005.

codeman94

Mega Poster
We don't know how old that photo is, but it seems like they have not built the new part of the hill any higher (in total height) since about a month ago when we last saw it the first signs of the steepness of the new lift hill. Is it possible they might make it shorter and use the extra space from the lift/drop to expand the layout?

Last edited:

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Haha, I guess not. I have seen another image source posted elsewhere:

IMG_8116.jpg
I don't know why but this picture makes me feel all creamy inside.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: off-season announcements of rides at Cedar Point; only Wicked Twister and TTD have been announced out of season in recent history, November 20th and January 9th, respectively.
So, to dig into my deep anthologic knowledge of Cedar Point - it's been awhile since Cedar Point was in this position; beginning active coaster construction mid to late in the season without announcing the ride. Maverick was the most recent case - they began true construction on it in June/July of 2006, after having laid concrete footers during the 2005 off-season. Maverick was announced in September 2006. TTD however began construction early into the 2002 season, and was not announced until January 2003. MF too began construction mid-1999, but was announced July of that year.

RMC's statement of no projects for 2017 should be taken with confidence; manufacturers are most typically at liberty to say if they are engaged in a project or not - NDAs simply limit their ability to say with who. Waiting to open this in 2018 would allow for more focus on the Soak City waterpark conversion, and also help the park time out their additions to nicely line up with the park's 150th anniversary in 2020; a new roller coaster/major attraction every 2 years is a great burn rate.

Jared

Hyper Poster
Maybe there's a reason for a longer build time... Perhaps a LSM lift hill with them allowing more time for testing and honing the ride system in?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Maybe there's a reason for a longer build time... Perhaps a LSM lift hill with them allowing more time for testing and honing the ride system in?

After lightning rod's downtime due to the LSM launch failing, I doubt cedar fair would want to give it LSMs, because they would want the ride open sooner rather than later...

Dar

Hyper Poster
After lightning rod's downtime due to the LSM launch failing, I doubt cedar fair would want to give it LSMs, because they would want the ride open sooner rather than later...
Except multiple people have stated that the launch hasn't failed and isn't the reason for the downtime.

Snoo

The Legend
^That.

And given that CP has had enormous success with LSM's with Maverick, I don't see that out of the realm of possibility. Launch into a barrel roll?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another video from the Ride Warrior Club tour, giving some more glimpses of Mean Streak demo. (starts ~ 12:30 mark)

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Oh lord oh lord oh lord. Every time I come back to this thread, you guys give me something new to have creamy thoughts about. In all seriousness, I can't imagine how insane a launch into a stall 200 feet in the air would be.... I doubt that actually happens, but my gosh this thread is fun.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
I'm gonna come down on the side of no launch. Here's why: an LSM launch needs a block before the launch to hold the train in the event of launch failure. The photo That Patently Rude coaster site shared shows the bunny hop going straight into the lift, with no block before.

That being said, a 200-foot drop is still a 200-foot drop. I'm expecting a zero-G stall over the bottom of that drop too.