What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

ry1996

Mega Poster
Re: "Unknown" - Canada's Wonderland 2012 Attraction

Beuitiul, i love that color but the supports allready here are the same color :0
To me i can clearly see some kind of b&m Sitdown coaster, NOT a flyer or invert at all.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

It's been a while since B&M's last new sitdown looper, floor or not, hasn't it? I think the last one was Led Zeppelin (or whatever it's called now, I've forgot), but which was the one before that?

Oh, wait, the thing in Hong Kong.

Anyway, excited to see this. B&Ms always create a lot of hype, rarely lives up to it (because the hype is so high, not because the coaster is lackustre), but in the end, most of the rides turn out amazing.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Intricks said:
Well, track is on site. Sorry folks, but the Wing Rider theory has been denied. The center pieces connecting the rail to the spine (tresses, cross sections?) are that of an Invert or a Flyer. So now we may be looking at a 200-230 ft tall invert or flyer if what the label says are anything.

No. The track pieces are that of a model that sits upright from the station. Ties have straight lines rather than curved.

andrus

Giga Poster

Pokemaniac said:
It's been a while since B&M's last new sitdown looper, floor or not, hasn't it? I think the last one was Led Zeppelin (or whatever it's called now, I've forgot), but which was the one before that?

Oh, wait, the thing in Hong Kong.

Anyway, excited to see this. B&Ms always create a lot of hype, rarely lives up to it (because the hype is so high, not because the coaster is lackustre), but in the end, most of the rides turn out amazing.
Yea, Hair Raiser will open this year. The one before that was Led Zeppelin/Time Machine in 2008 and the one before that was Hydra in 2005. Not a lot of interest in the sit down/floorless models lately..

I really do like the hyper-esque seating arrangements on Wildfire though. Don't know why they used the "old" style trains on Led Zeppelin. It would be cool to see another ride like Wildfire!

unlimitedcoaster

Mega Poster

I really do like the hyper-esque seating arrangements on Wildfire though. Don't know why they used the "old" style trains on Led Zeppelin. It would be cool to see another ride like Wildfire!

Led Zeppelin's themeing was to be as close to a tribute as possible. Meaning, the station, ride name and even train had to be themed from the band. Wildfire's trains had inspiration from their mega coasters. I prefer them as well, but I still believe this ride at Wonderland will be no sit-down n'or floorless.

So, a B&M.. I have to say I was hoping for an Intamin, but either way it's one of my home parks so woo. I'm not gonna sit here and guess at what it is, comparing rail ties and all that nonsense, because it's being announced in two days and 90% of our theories will be proven wrong :p . I do hope for a flyer or wingrider though!

andrus

Giga Poster

There has been a lot of talk over at CWMania of this being a giga coaster. Here are some interesting "proofs" for the B&M giga theory:

Capital_M said:
Spoke to someone at the park yesterday, they confirmed a few things

1.B&M
2.It WILL tower over Windseeker (Giga)
3.It will go from the employee parking in to the general parking, and areas where supports are placed will be blocked off.
4.They were not sure if it would make it all the way to the front gate

This is a VERY credible source, They told me last year that they were taking ground sample from around the parking lots for a new ride.

Looks like we are seeing B&M's first GIGA!

Many people will not believe this, that is fine, I have no reason not to believe my source.

Zpoon said:
A source very close to the park has told me this project will "eclipse Behemoth both in height and length" with it being "taller than Windseeker". He also tells me it will "enter the parking lot". He also mentioned to me that it's the start of a long line of projects Cedar Fair has for CW. They're planning on dumping serious money into CW over the next few years and this project is the start of it. A lot of it is infrastructure work. He also hinted at the possibility of the Front Gate being rebuilt in the next 2-3 years (the actual gate, not Intl Street).

Take what you want from this, but only me going on it, I do think he knows what he's talking about. I'm still keeping my expectations low however just in case.

I still don't know what I believe. Maybe standard looper (like the 10 inversion rumor), maybe B&Ms first giga.. We will know for sure on thursday 18th 7am local time when the official announcement will take place!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I don't believe it all to be honest. Sounds like fanboy dreaming. Unless B&M now have a cable lift/new seat design, people will get this (if true) 100% confused with Behemoth, despite the different colors.

michaellll

Mega Poster

Whyyyyy? Unless this is going to be very different from stereotypical B&M hypers there is no point. I mean, potentially it could just be a speed machine with a bunch of banked curves and the such, but if it's like behemoth........yeah.

I believed the intamin giga rumors because at least intamin would likely bring something different to the table in terms of layout.

I'd love to be spited though. B&M could surprise.

unlimitedcoaster

Mega Poster

Spoke to someone at the park yesterday, they confirmed a few things

1.B&M
2.It WILL tower over Windseeker (Giga)
3.It will go from the employee parking in to the general parking, and areas where supports are placed will be blocked off.
4.They were not sure if it would make it all the way to the front gate

This is a VERY credible source, They told me last year that they were taking ground sample from around the parking lots for a new ride.

Looks like we are seeing B&M's first GIGA!

Many people will not believe this, that is fine, I have no reason not to believe my source.

A B&M giga? That's stupid and pointless. They have Behemoth, why have something that will be just as tall? I don't believe your sources. B&M will never make a cable lift ride. This ride is either a Wingrider or Flyer. If B&M is hoping to bring some of the past back, maybe a floorless or sit-down. No hyper or giga! Behemoth is already the parks tallest coaster and will remain that way for many years to come!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Re: "Unknown" - Canada's Wonderland 2012 Attraction

tomahawKSU said:
I don't believe it all to be honest. Sounds like fanboy dreaming. Unless B&M now have a cable lift/new seat design, people will get this (if true) 100% confused with Behemoth, despite the different colors.

So according to you, people at another park, say Cedar Point, get Millennium Force, Magnum XL-200 and Top Thrill Dragster confused because they are all tall, and two of them are of the same manufacturer. That sir, is blatant supidity. People notcie differences, no matter what you say. They will compare the two greatly, but will know the difference between Behemoth and something that is taller and different color.

[quote="michaellll]I believed the intamin giga rumors because at least intamin would likely bring something different to the table in terms of layout.

I'd love to be spited though. B&M could surprise.[/quote]

Ummm....what? Intamin is becomming notorious for having only high speed and quick transitions. If they add in anything else, it is ungodly painful. B&M may has shown recently that they have changed things up. Parc Asterix invert is like NOTHING else done by B&M, same with The Swarm. Im almost positive that is not a Raptor clone (sarcasm is being heavily used), same with the Dollywood project. Hell, look at Tatsu, Starry Night Ripper, the floorless at the starcraft park, Silverstar, as well as some of the newer rides from B&M...none of them really look like older style B&M in regards to their flyer clones, Invert Clones, Hyper esque clones.

My point is this, dont compare the two when Intamin is known for speed and quick transitions with anything outside the norm as being painful, and B&M has stepped outside the box for a change after dealing with all the Clone Working.

Edit:
Ok, if what you are saying is true Unlimited, then why build Top Thrill when CP still had MF regardless of the loss in record (cause ofbthey actually cared, Top Thrill would have happened in 01-02)? CW is CF, they will either replace the height, or build something different.

Switching between the hideouts'...

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^All 3 of the coasters you mentioned look COMPLETELY different though. Yeah, Intamin makes Millennium Force and TTD, but one is just launch and back and then the other is a giga all spread out. It's not the same track style, and more than likely the same trains. If the rides are near each other, I don't know how the park is layout wise, or where this would be in relation to Behemoth, but if it is just a giga with a similar layout, people will get confused, or if it is more of a I-305 ride, then there won't be confusion. Hope that clarifies.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Fine, better example. Wildebeast and Mammoth at Holiday World. Same type of ride, same area of park, same general layout, and hell, they are right next to one another. According to what has been said, everyone is going to confuse the two because they are essentially the same thing. Right?

Wrong. Saying the GP is going to confuse the two or even mistake one for the other is a highly idiotic notion. There are differences that have been established through the park hyping it up and announcing it as well. Colors are different, the boat is different, length and height of ride are different as well. Once a clear line of seperation has been made, it will always remain there.

In short, saying they wont build a giga (if true) due to the possible confusion it could cause to the GP, based off of similarities to a previously built ride, is a null and void statement. They are different, period.

Tony

Hyper Poster

Loving the track colour and excited to see another B&M being built next year! Like others have said I don't see the point of a Giga with Behemoth being their last major addition.... saying that, didn't this coaster have a MC code which usually means Mega coaster, and then there is the whole giga bolts label thing? And the ties seem to point towards a sit-down coaster.

Then Ian said that there will be another Wing-rider built aswell as Dollywood's and Swarm and this is B&M's 5th project for next year so this could most likely be it.

So my guess Wing-Rider or Giga, both would be awesome :p .

Intricks

Strata Poster

Six Flags Great Adventure (or America, cant remember) is rumored to be getting a Wing Rider...

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^^Great America. Highly doubt they will get a coaster of any significance though based on the parks track record.

Tony

Hyper Poster

Ya SFGam really could do with a new major addition especially something like a Wing-rider and I know Screamscape is speculating it but Six Flags haven't got a new B&M since what 2006? and their latest additions seem to be on the smaller/cheap side or relocations. And B&M lately have only been producing roughly 3 coasters a year for the last few years and this is their 5th additon for 2012. So there can't be much else coming from them (although they did 6 coasters in 2006)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Just a question, though: Is "Giga Coaster" trademarked somewhere? It might be that...
1) B&M have labelled some of their "coaster caps" (whatever that may be) Giga because they are big.
2) Some marketing department made the note to ignite speculation.
3) B&M have a different idea of what a Giga coaster is than us enthusiasts have.
4) Something wildly different.

Either way, I'm quite certain that this won't be a giga coaster in the traditional sense. As stated, Behemoth can be milked by the marketing department for years and years now, and what would really the point be in adding another coaster similiar to it? Heck, I bet Behemoth isn't even fully paid for at this moment. It's still pulling in customers too, why would you build something that does excactly the same, only slightly bigger? Sure, Cedar Point built both Magnum and MF, but that was ten years and several other coasters, plus a huge leap in technology, apart.
It will be exciting to see what this is, but I have no faith in a 90m+ coaster. None at all.

steel

Mega Poster

Couple things:
-It can't be a flyer unless it's some weird new kind of flyer. The track at CWL is standard top-riding B&M track.
-I don't see why a gigacoaster would be "stupid and pointless." I would love to see B&M top 300'. I seriously doubt they wouldn't be willing to do it if a park wanted it.
-I don't know how much water this holds, but there's been some speculation that the turn radius of the track that is there isn't large enough for a wing rider. Again, I don't know if I believe that.
-As for SFGAm, they hinted there would be a big announcement this fall, and it really is time for them to get a major attraction. If CWL's coaster isn't a wing rider, I bet that third one goes to SFGAm as X-Flight, and if it is, I could see a Eurofighter at SFGAm. Either way, I think 2012 is finally the year for them.