What's new

Are racing coasters 1 or 2 creds?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
For example, if you were to ride both sides of Gemini at Cedar Point, is that considered two creds or just one? Also American Eagle, Racer, and Rebel Yell could be good examples. Dueling coasters such as Dragon Challenge are out of the question because those are two completely different layouts, so obviously 2 creds.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
A track is a cred. So Gemini, Racer, Rebel Yell, Lightning Racer, all that is two creds. Now möbius loop coasters where it's just one continuous loop (Kennywood Racer, Grand National, Master Thai) are one cred and you need both sides to count the one cred.

2012HHNFan

Roller Poster
How I see it, racing coaster (ex. Dragon Challenge, Thunder Road, Rolling Thunder, etc) are one credit, however, coasters that are the same but do not race (ex. Primeval Whirl) count as two, that is just how I see it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
2012HHNFan said:
How I see it, racing coaster (ex. Dragon Challenge, Thunder Road, Rolling Thunder, etc) are one credit, however, coasters that are the same but do not race (ex. Primeval Whirl) count as two, that is just how I see it.
No offence, but Helen Keller would see it more clearly.

Two tracks, able to operate completely independently = two coasters, especially something like Dragon Challenge.

Ben

CF Legend
Dragon Challenge doesn't race though?

Now it's just two Inverts that happen to be next to each other.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Dare I suggest that it's up to the rider?
ie Does it feel like you've ridden one coaster or two?
For example, I've only been on one side of Rebel Yell, Primeval Whirl and Florida's Space Mountain, but if someone asks me if I've ridden any of those coasters then I would reply with 'Why yes I have, good Sir/Madam' and I wouldn't feel the need to clarify whether I'd ridden both sides or not.
However, if someone asks me if I've been on the Duelling Dragons, I would reply with 'Why yes I have, good Sir/Madam, both sides'. So it's 2.
Simples!

Granted, my system is a little bit open to abuse, ie filthy cred whores will count anything as 2 wherever they can, but we knew that anyway.

Snoo

The Legend
^FEEL and actual fact are two different things however. While it is ALWAYS up to personal opinion, especially for racers, it comes down to something as simple as "is the coaster it's own track?"

That's not just my opinion, that's popular opinion for the most part. That isn't credit whoring as much as it's common sense. While some see if differently, as counts can vary wildly depending on who you talk to, if you want to look at cred counting objectively based on how you define ANY coaster, then each independent coaster track is one cred.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Snoo said:
^FEEL and actual fact are two different things however. While it is ALWAYS up to personal opinion, especially for racers, it comes down to something as simple as "is the coaster it's own track?"

That's not just my opinion, that's popular opinion for the most part. That isn't credit whoring as much as it's common sense. While some see if differently, as counts can vary wildly depending on who you talk to, if you want to look at cred counting objectively based on how you define ANY coaster, then each independent coaster track is one cred.
Exactly.

My system is as follows (it's not bulletproof, but it works):

Racing
Description: the two tracks are literally side by side the whole way round
Example: Racer at Kings Island
Number of creds: 1
New cred: after having ridden either side
Subsequent cred: after having ridden either side
I have these in my spreadsheet as one line, with a note that it's racing

Duelling
Description: the two tracks are noticeably different
Example: Dragon Challenge at IoA
Number of creds: 2
New cred: one for each side ridden
Subsequent cred: one for each side ridden
I have these in my spreadsheet as two lines, one for each, with a note that it's duelling

Mobius
Description: For either identical or different layouts (although I'm not aware of any mobius coasters with greatly different sides)
Example: Grand National at BPB
Number of creds: 1
New cred: only once both sides have been ridden
Subsequent cred: after having ridden either side
I have these in my spreadsheet as one line, with a note that it's mobius

That system works for me, and isn't really as complicated as it would first sound. It seems relatively fair and I can work it out easily, so I like it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right you are, I was thinking of the one at Kings Island. Edited now. :D

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Looks like the popular response is that it is two creds. Just making sure I wasn't cheating the system because I count racers as two creds if you ride both sides.

S

SimonSays99

Depends for me on the kind of racer.

Racers consisting of two independent coasters side by side its one credit each. Racers having a Möbius loop is one credit.

jackdude101

Roller Poster
I personally count twin coasters as two. They are objectively two different rides and sometimes they are not identical. Battlestar Galactica in USS is a prime example. Also, Steeplechase in BPB would count as three.

XLR8R

Roller Poster
If it's an out and back racing coaster, such as Thunder Road, I only count it as one credit. However, I would count Dragon Challenge as two credits.

jackdude101

Roller Poster
While gathering data for my Roller Coaster Rankings spreadsheet, I discovered that I had to add two separate entries for each twin coaster. This is because some of them have differing stats, and in order to calculate things accurately, they needed to be listed separately. Objectively, a twin coaster has two different track systems, which means it is worth two credits, but only if you ride both of them. If you only ride on one of the tracks, you only get one credit.

As for Mobius coasters, I treat them like twin coasters by having two separate entries, with the total track length of the ride divided in half for each entry. So, for my purposes, a mobius coaster has two credits in it, but again, you have to ride both parts to get all the credits.

On a related note, Steeplechase at Blackpool Pleasure Beach has three separate tracks, so it has three separate entries.