What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Pink Panther said:
I don't why the park are putting the sound tunnel where the ride is at it's slowest. The only reason I can think it because it's high up (and above the tree canopy), so noise is less likely to be screened by vegetation...? Also the POV made it look really boring - too many sweeping turns. Still excited for it though.
Yes, not only that most people scream on rides immediately after leaving the lift hill/on first drop cus that's when the train is no longer being "controlled". Excellent recreation though, even if it does look mediocre. Hopefully Merlin have a few tricks up their wizards sleeve.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That actually looks quite a bit like Wodan to me. Not entirely, but it's "similar". Wodan didn't give me any airtime when I went early season, but people later in the opening year said it had some. So there's potential.

spicy

Giga Poster
Would have liked a few more hills than that but hopefully the real layout will have something extra.

Looking at that it's no world beater but a good solid family woodie which is exactly what they are going for and offers something completely different to what AT currently offers.

Some enthusiasts will be pissed we aren't getting a Wildfire but it is what it is. A family wooden coaster.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
That is definitely a family coaster, no doubt. I think another family coaster is nice after a huge thrill ride. Besides, families are the ones that bring in money.

And if I'm not mistaken, that building in the turnaround is the old Flume station. Considering it's still there, is it possible that AT will convert it into a restaurant or shop?

Jared

Hyper Poster
In the original plans it was marked up as Smokehouse. So it'll probably become home to a Smokehouse BBQ like the one at Chessington.

Dar

Hyper Poster
The queue goes right through the middle of it, and it's marked as a theme structure, so I don't think it'll be a restaurant

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I love the look of its first drop tunneled area. I think that's rather Nemesis-like and with the tunnel will create anxiety about when its going to do the big drop feeling? Will be cool.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
So the back and forth flat bit before the lift is probably just positioning and nothing more should be read into that part bar maybe a few theming features...but what about the random flat bit in the tunnel? Any chance they'll be adding a hidden surprise in there whether it be a theming element, a mid-course launch etc...

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ IIRC the plans say that it's going to be enclosed, and I've read somewhere about a dark ride section before the lift.

Paws

Roller Poster
Chris Brown said:
New planning application submitted for Alton Towers,

'Demolition of existing structures and installation of a new ride and construction of associated buildings, along with landscaping works'

No supporting document yet but it shouldn't be long until something is uploaded.

Hopefully this is a new flat ride that the park desperately needs.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Paws said:
Chris Brown said:

'Demolition of existing structures and installation of a new ride and construction of associated buildings, along with landscaping works'

No supporting document yet but it shouldn't be long until something is uploaded.

Its pretty much confirmed to be a GCI woodie, possibly with a launch. But you're right, they're desperate for flats. At the moment, I believe the only open flat rides that are suitable for adults are the teacups, chairswing, Blade and Enterprise. I think the rest is the stuff in C Beebies land

Paws

Roller Poster
cjbrandy said:
Paws said:
Chris Brown said:

Its pretty much confirmed to be a GCI woodie, possibly with a launch. But you're right, they're desperate for flats. At the moment, I believe the only open flat rides that are suitable for adults are the teacups, chairswing, Blade and Enterprise. I think the rest is the stuff in C Beebies land

This is a seperate application which suggest its not to do with the GCI woodie, so it is possble this is a new flat but we just dont know at this time.

Lofty

CF Legend
Looking at the lead creative (For Towers) LinkedIn, it states that there's a secret project happening for next year.

Jared

Hyper Poster
It's a small flat ride for CBeebies Land. A round ride, probably something similar to a Jumbo's ride.

Dar

Hyper Poster
TowersStreet has posted some pictures of the area as it stands on their facebook:

13770439_1113874892016287_6408437600765664816_n.jpg

13775514_1113874898682953_3917214907112564668_n.jpg

13718594_1113874925349617_5279001409726060842_n.jpg

davidm

Strata Poster
^ thats quite sad.

The original cattle-pen Q line used to be in that paved section in the first two pics - I recall standing for HOURS in that bloomin' thing the year it opened. </old>

Sandman

Giga Poster
It does look sad, especially the drained flume. Makes me wish I could have one last go. At the same time though, I'm pumped for the beginning of a much needed transformation in the area.