What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I'm sure on these inversions either, probably just be perception. Standard twisty sections if track I bet.

Or at least I hope.

Dave

CF Legend
Ian said:
Martyn B said:
I'm guessing this is going to have a hefty theme, with a pre show room and a dark ride section!
Don't forget the VR headsets and live actors walking around.

Don't forget shipping containers for the shop and theming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I had a closer look at the elevations on the planning portal and the thick beams of wood always remain below the track (apart from the tunnel where it also supports the roof). This pic hopefully describes which bits I'm talking about (the horizontal ones that the track rests on)

DSC04416.JPG

So I don't know about inversions anymore as I would have expected them above the track during those elements.

13310331_10154259382702430_1487488573370108231_n.jpg

The bits sticking vertically above the track are only the rail posts that run either side of the track (evident in the Prowler pic). I think the horizontal lines above the track are some sort of height markers fro the rails...? I'm not sure, but it makes the drawing difficult to interpret :p

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Gazza said:
Aren't those 'inversions' just the two parallel lines of a normal hill?

Yes - they don't look like inversions, but more of a normal hill - that's how they would look in a 3D design.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
On second look, I think I can see now how they might not be inversions. It is a bit of an optical illusion.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Just waiting for someone to moan that they're unimpressed so I can use my quip 'Why all the SW H8?'

Think the moment has passed though. :(

sparky2u

Mega Poster
This is my "rough" version of how SW8 (Wooden coaster) could of looked If AT used more of the old flume area, the trees would act as a "scream" barrier. There would be inversions along the course & a launch lift hill straight into a tunnel after the 1st drop, all turns would be banked. The bottom turn-around would be a fan shape 1/2 helix down to keep the speed for the return. Night-time rides would be amazing through the trees with little light along the course.

Dar

Hyper Poster
They're not using the woods because they're part of the historic gardens and would make it a lot harder to get permission. So by not building there, merlin are hoping to gain some favour for the actual application.

That image is based on the first plans, the new ones don't have the change in lift angle

:)

Ben

CF Legend
The difference with Smiler's tbf is that they're in an area of the park where the zoning means they can get away with changing the plans - they have to be a little bit more truthful this area.

They can still EASILY change but I think they'd have to get the Council to approve them.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ben said:
The difference with Smiler's tbf is that they're in an area of the park where the zoning means they can get away with changing the plans - they have to be a little bit more truthful this area.

They can still EASILY change but I think they'd have to get the Council to approve them.
To be fair though, there's not exactly one rule for one area and not for another. The exact same rules regarding planning and permissions stands for all areas of the park and additions that they're putting in - so this could be the same in terms of the ride changing from the elevations in terms of elements and direction of banking etc.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I thought the GDO meant that they could build whatever they wanted, under a certain height, and the ride plans were more a courtesy to show the council they weren't going to build something outrageous, with only the station really needing permission.

This isn't in a GDO area so the plans have to be accurate?

Ben

CF Legend
Lofty said:
Ben said:

To be fair though, there's not exactly one rule for one area and not for another. The exact same rules regarding planning and permissions stands for all areas of the park and additions that they're putting in - so this could be the same in terms of the ride changing from the elevations in terms of elements and direction of banking etc.

Dar said:
Looking at this plan it looks like the flume site just falls outside the GDO area (purple boundaries), so it seems these plans have to be legit?
6XveW8e.jpg

Except it is literally one rule for one area and one for another.

There are different rules for planning and permissions across the park.

So this should be more accurate than Smiler's plans.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Wow, I didn't actually know that the planning varied as much as that! I thought it was only the gardens that had major restriction and everywhere else were zoned similarly to one another. Didn't expect it to be as vast as that.

Thanks for the image Ben! :)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The Code Master/Nemesis94 from TowersStreet made a new layout based on the plans. Obviously not exact, but at least we can start to visualise it better.

adc4be3e95bfd8744e28ebaf1ae4332a.jpg

f698f2b9d742feb5e11a99adfe21af44.jpg

9900af25f4e891898b917994129c1d14.jpg

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6XOFKYjWU[/youtubevid]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6XOFKYjWU

26830096524_a1e78edb83_b.jpg

I don't why the park are putting the sound tunnel where the ride is at it's slowest. The only reason I can think it because it's high up (and above the tree canopy), so noise is less likely to be screened by vegetation...? Also the POV made it look really boring - too many sweeping turns. Still excited for it though.