What's new

Alton Towers New Flat Ride?

rctneil

Roller Poster
If they’re gonna bring back ripsaw in any form the logical thing would be to go all out and get an ABC tourbillon. The marketability would be so good. View attachment 27900

I rode the one at SFGAdv and it was one of the most boring flat rides i've ever ridden. It's just you being moved in multiple controlled directions over the course of the cycle. No randomness at all.

It is very impressive to watch though and looks incredible, but from a rider perspective I felt it was terrible.

I'd love to see a Ripsaw version 2 personally. Great rides onride and off. I'd like to see a back to back seated floorless version like Talocan.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I rode the one at SFGAdv and it was one of the most boring flat rides i've ever ridden. It's just you being moved in multiple controlled directions over the course of the cycle. No randomness at all.

It is very impressive to watch though and looks incredible, but from a rider perspective I felt it was terrible.

I'd love to see a Ripsaw version 2 personally. Great rides onride and off. I'd like to see a back to back seated floorless version like Talocan.
This. They look great from off-ride, but are actually dull crap.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ok, so I have no real evidence or source to back what I am about to say, so take all of this with a pinch of salt as it could be nonsense but I'm gonna say this anyway. I have heard, from several different places now, that Towers have been in close talks with Huss and representatives from the company have been spotted around Towers. Apparently, the park has signed off for 3 rides from them, all of which should be open by 2025, with one of them potentially opening at some point next season.

While I'm not sure how true this is, it is certainly interesting. I've seen all sorts of ideas thrown around, including a new suspended Top Spin in Ripsaw's old site, a new Enterprise, a Troika, a Breakdance and a Spinning Cruiser as potential candidates. It seems there are no current plans to remove or replace Blade, and it should remain at the park for a good while longer which is excellent news. While all of this may be nonsense it certainly is an exciting possibility, and would absolutely fix the park's flat ride (or lack thereof) problem. I can't wait to see what comes of this!

Thrillseeker2024

Roller Poster
Ok, so I have no real evidence or source to back what I am about to say, so take all of this with a pinch of salt as it could be nonsense but I'm gonna say this anyway. I have heard, from several different places now, that Towers have been in close talks with Huss and representatives from the company have been spotted around Towers. Apparently, the park has signed off for 3 rides from them, all of which should be open by 2025, with one of them potentially opening at some point next season.

While I'm not sure how true this is, it is certainly interesting. I've seen all sorts of ideas thrown around, including a new suspended Top Spin in Ripsaw's old site, a new Enterprise, a Troika, a Breakdance and a Spinning Cruiser as potential candidates. It seems there are no current plans to remove or replace Blade, and it should remain at the park for a good while longer which is excellent news. While all of this may be nonsense it certainly is an exciting possibility, and would absolutely fix the park's flat ride (or lack thereof) problem. I can't wait to see what comes of this!
You're right, towers have had talks with husssssş
Could be good?

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not personally the biggest fan of nostalgia for the sake of it, but I honestly quite like the idea of Alton Towers buying a new suspended top spin or similar and “reviving” Ripsaw in conjunction with the Nemesis retrack. Maybe a suspended top spin called something like “Ripsaw’s Revenge”?

It would certainly make sense for them to fill the Ripsaw site first seeing as they’re opening a new shop in Forbidden Valley in the old food outlet building next to Ripsaw for next season.

I think they could definitely do far worse than a revived Ripsaw, anyhow!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
An additional benefit of top spins is they're always a good spectacle for non-riders.

Last time I went to Towers (2018) I didn't even know Ripsaw had been taken out so was saddened to see it gone. Would love to see return in an updated form.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
The good thing about a top spin is that it's a visual spectacle without needing any marketing gimmicks or statues to make it look good. Every top spin I come across has a crowd of people watching it with visible reactions of onlookers from offride, and doubling as being a fantastic thrill ride for those riding in the process. Merlin wouldn't believe it, there are rides that look good on their own.

I would say I'm happy to see Alton Towers investing in flat rides, but by now there have been so many empty plots of pre-occupied land in the park for years on end that my thoughts are rather "it's been an embarrassingly long time and the wait should never be this long again" rather than "hell yeah they're doing it!!".

And if they're from stupid SBF then I'm done. Chessington's done well enough to prove that they shouldn't exist outside of FECs and tiny coastal parks.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
In the first sentence of my post.
image.png

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Given the popularity and success of Talocan, coupled with the lack of any decent Top Spin in the UK (or any Too Spin now perhaps?), a Huss inverted Top Spin just sounds like a no-brainer to me. As others have already alluded to, they're a great spectator ride as well as a great ride in general. I'll add that they aren't uncomfortable like the old ones (the ones still standing are showing their age...) and have a fairly decent capacity at 38 riders per cycle*.

*2 less than the old ones, that surprised me.

It would absolutely fill a gap in the lineup...