What's new

Alton Towers New Flat Ride?

Will

Strata Poster
A staff room for the rides staff might be a good start but then again
Particularly in that area of the park, he's actually spot on this time.
The area you describe beneath the skyride still exists, but it's barely fit for human habitation these days - and don't get me started on the area around the back of the Curse.

Err... I mean... I like new flat rides. New flat rides are good.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Particularly in that area of the park, he's actually spot on.
The area you describe beneath the skyride still exists, but it's barely fit for human habitation these days - and don't get me started on the area around the back of the Curse.

The 'break room' under skyride is fit for fish habitation as every time it rains it floods and no they don't have any heaters.
That area behind curse is just a wasteland of stuff they don't want anymore, granted they got ride of train 6 from Monorail but still a sh*t tip with no break room at present

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The 'break room' under skyride is fit for fish habitation as every time it rains it floods and no they don't have any heaters.
That area behind curse is just a wasteland of stuff they don't want anymore, granted they got ride of train 6 from Monorail but still a sh*t tip with no break room at present
Fact is it's still there... You said it didn't exist.

Anyway... bickering aside 🤣 does it still have the pointless little indoor room with the fridge, kettle and microwave?

Particularly in that area of the park, he's actually spot on this time.

Yeh, as above, the fact is there is one, regardless of how crappy it is... (it was never great btw, though I don't remember it flooding to be fair, so there is that.)

This is either going to be a scare attraction, an indoor attraction, or replacement service / maintenance / storage for Horizon. My bet is on the last option, given everything else seems to be lining up to signify a start is in sight for Horizon (Dungeons rumoured to be closing permanently etc.) I suppose if this is the case, you may get a small staff room out of it, but it'd be a bit of a trek for FV staff. Renovating what they have already might be better, as it's location serves both areas well.

Next most likely I'd say is a scare attraction, given the 'rumoured' pressure to stop using the towers.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Fact is it's still there... You said it didn't exist.

Anyway... bickering aside 🤣 does it still have the pointless little indoor room with the fridge, kettle and microwave?

Yeh, as above, the fact is there is one, regardless of how crappy it is... (it was never great btw, though I don't remember it flooding to be fair, so there is that.)

This is either going to be a scare attraction, an indoor attraction, or replacement service / maintenance / storage for Horizon. My bet is on the last option, given everything else seems to be lining up to signify a start is in sight for Horizon (Dungeons rumoured to be closing permanently etc.) I suppose if this is the case, you may get a small staff room out of it, but it'd be a bit of a trek for FV staff. Renovating what they have already might be better, as it's location serves both areas well.

Next most likely I'd say is a scare attraction, given the 'rumoured' pressure to stop using the towers.
Had a microwave & not functioning Kettle but no fridge. Utter shambles it is

ScottLann

Mega Poster
It seems construction has begun on the new flat ride within Forbidden Valley.

Quite surprised they've started this already but it's good to see things moving quickly.

The only concern I have is that the revamped Forbidden Valley / Nemesis Reborn area is probably going to be quite an eyesore for a few months whilst all of this work is taking place. But I guess it should all be looking complete for the start of the 2025 season!

Will

Strata Poster
It's the area in front of what used to be Ripsaw/Funk 'n' Fly - the closed path is annoying but far from unbearable and doesn't affect the vista of Nemesis much at all - in fact the only places it's really a problem to are the coffee shop and the Nemesis shop.

I too am surprised it's started this early - that suggests substantial landscaping, as surely a flat ride can be erected in a matter of weeks.

Swat

Hyper Poster
Hopefully they use the construction site and actors to create a story based on the Phalanx creating a weapon to regain control of Nemesis. This could at least make somewhat of a story whilst building it.

Or just ugly fences for a few months..

Bowser

Mega Poster
I was there yesterday, forgot there was talk of a new flat ride and wondered what was going on! Yeah did look a bit ugly, you think it wouldn't be too difficult to pop up some phalanx themed warning fences at least.

spicy

Giga Poster
It's great they are properly theming this with extensive landscaping, they could have easily just plonked another top spin down on the exisitng site but have gone all out with it. The fact construction has started early means this is going to be heavily themed or maybe even opening this season?

As mentioned in the video above be great if it is themed to some kind of Phalanx gun pointing at Nemesis or drill etc..

Once this is finished Galactica will be standing out like a sore thumb even more than it does now. Really hope that gets a retheme to match the whole FV area soon.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Once this is finished Galactica will be standing out like a sore thumb even more than it does now. Really hope that gets a retheme to match the whole FV area soon.

How would Galactica realistically be themed to fit in? Track respray?

spicy

Giga Poster
How would Galactica realistically be themed to fit in? Track respray?

I guess it could potentially end up being another painted black Merlin coaster. At least the lift hill is already black so they don't have to respray that 😂

Could be themed to the Phalanx and boarding their new aircraft which they will be using to attack the Nemesis alien or something along those lines.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I was at the park yesterday too, and Galaticair looks a bit neglected, it had real issues getting the trains into locked position. Feels like such an awkward duck with the “theming” telling you that you were visiting different galaxies or whatever and then just visiting different views of grass instead.

I would love them to give it a military overhaul. Theme it to some kind of military flying vehicle designed to monitor Nemesis. Maybe add some theming to the damp concrete tunnel that starts the ride out.

Sandman

Giga Poster
There's actually quite a lot you could do with Galactica.

Does it warrant a retrack? No. But give it a fresh lick of paint and a bring the theme in line with the rest of FV. You don't really need to be too specific, story wise.

Just loosely tie it into the Nemesis lore, give the station an overhaul and maybe throw in a few tunnels and near miss elements to make the ride experience differ slightly. I'm sure we could get another brooding soundtrack out of it too.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
There's actually quite a lot you could do with Galactica.

Does it warrant a retrack? No. But give it a fresh lick of paint and a bring the theme in line with the rest of FV. You don't really need to be too specific, story wise.

Just loosely tie it into the Nemesis lore, give the station an overhaul and maybe throw in a few tunnels and near miss elements to make the ride experience differ slightly. I'm sure we could get another brooding soundtrack out of it too.
needs new crafts thats for sure

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I've been thinking about the whole Galactica retheme for a while now, but I honestly just can't see it happening for one main reason...

Nemesis opened up in 1994, and last operated in 2022 (28 years of operation).
Air/Galactica opened up in 2002. If it were to have a similar lifespan, this would mean it could theoretically only be operating until 2030. In which case, I can't see Alton spending loads of money to give the coaster and area a complete overhaul when it may only be running for another 6-8 years.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and it could last many more years (not all B&M coasters have the same lifespan I understand). But I feel like replacing Galactica with a totally new coaster to fit in with the area properly would be a much better move.

Bowser

Mega Poster
I've been thinking about the whole Galactica retheme for a while now, but I honestly just can't see it happening for one main reason...

Nemesis opened up in 1994, and last operated in 2022 (28 years of operation).
Air/Galactica opened up in 2002. If it were to have a similar lifespan, this would mean it could theoretically only be operating until 2030. In which case, I can't see Alton spending loads of money to give the coaster and area a complete overhaul when it may only be running for another 6-8 years.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and it could last many more years (not all B&M coasters have the same lifespan I understand). But I feel like replacing Galactica with a totally new coaster to fit in with the area properly would be a much better move.

It's still a very popular ride though no? As we've seen with Nemesis, retheming a popular attraction seems to go down well with visitors.

Plus constructing new rollercoasters at AT is a nightmare with the restrictions. Though i wonder if a launched coaster similar to Voltron could work in the existing location.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I know I said before, but Air could be amazing again if some of the original unbuilt theming was built. One of the reasons Nemesis is so good is because of all the low-to-the-ground near miss theming. Air could achieve the same with some good rockwork (and that tunnel!!!!)

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Galactica if redone properly needs tonnes of money spent on it, last year the crafts were supposed to get new seatbacks, leg flaps, cam covers and vests which then got cut down to new seatbacks only I don't think they'll do it fully & correctly if they do